Huge bench clearing brawl in Cincy/Xavier game, game called early

I can't believe I'm doing this but....I agree with Art. His comments were no more inflammatory than some of the others on this thread. I thought it was an interesting discussion point, certainly not worthy of being deleted.

The Cincinnati players are lucky Maturi isn't their AD-- that punch and kick were more than what Royce White was out for a year for and more than what Trevor was out a year for not doing.

I can't believe I'm doing this but....I agree with Art. His comments were no more inflammatory than some of the others on this thread. I thought it was an interesting discussion point, certainly not worthy of being deleted.

I agree too. I read his comments before they were deleted and they were not inflamatory. If fighting is allowed in hockey then why not other sports like football. Both are contact, physical sports. In the end, fighting should have no place in any sport except boxing. This deserved to be discussed. Maybe it just needed it's own thread.

I've been on this board since it started, mostly as a lurker, and have thought the moderators have done a good job. But not this time. It's not often that I agree with the things Art says and does but he didn't deserve to have these posts deleted.

I think a lot of people don't care for the fighting in hockey. I went to a USHL game the other night and hate the fact that they allow fighting.

Either way, the example here is different than most hockey fights. Hockey fights are between two players who are facing each other. What the two Cincy guys did was much different. Remember what Todd Bertuzzi did? He got suspended for the rest of the season. I know the Xavier player didn't get nearly as hurt as the guy Bertuzzi punched from behind, but he very well could have been.

I agree too. I read his comments before they were deleted and they were not inflamatory. If fighting is allowed in hockey then why not other sports like football. Both are contact, physical sports. In the end, fighting should have no place in any sport except boxing. This deserved to be discussed. Maybe it just needed it's own thread.

I've been on this board since it started, mostly as a lurker, and have thought the moderators have done a good job. But not this time. It's not often that I agree with the things Art says and does but he didn't deserve to have these posts deleted.

I'm with you and Rychart and Art. That was my first thought upon reading about this, especially on the heels of all the conversation that's been going on about Boogaard and fighting in hockey in general. I don't condone what went on in the basketball game, but considering the thousands of college games that get played every year, this type of thing - as unfortunate and shameful as it is - is probably going to happen every now and then. Stakes and emotions are high out there. At the same time, fighting is practically expected in a hockey game. This particular basketball fight wouldn't have even satisfied a typical hockey crowd. (OK, now I'm in trouble, but that's how I feel, folks.) Someday we'll look back and marvel at how we sanctioned fighting in hockey for as long as we did.

Did something happen at the Gopher hockey game? Haven't heard anything about it.

The Cincinnati players are lucky Maturi isn't their AD-- that punch and kick were more than what Royce White was out for a year for and more than what Trevor was out a year for not doing.

Royce White got exactly what he deserved and transferred because he wasn't willing to face the consequences for his actions. He's a troubled kid with mental illness issues. As the AD, there's no way I would let kids I'm responsible for live in the same dorm as Royce White.

Royce White got exactly what he deserved and transferred because he wasn't willing to face the consequences for his actions. He's a troubled kid with mental illness issues. As the AD, there's no way I would let kids I'm responsible for live in the same dorm as Royce White.

And you know this how?

And you know this how?

It's common knowledge now. He's got depression & anxiety issues which lead or led to erratic behavior & I believe he's on meds now? It's actually one of his favorite topics now (along with what a complex & special person he is).

"But White’s self-assurance came with a discordant accompaniment: Anxiety.
“I’ve always had it, per se,” White said. “And it’s such a tricky thing; there’s still a lot of research being done on it and it’s not all set in stone. But I’ve always had it since I was young. I used to throw up sometimes before games. In AAU tournaments, we’d drive these long distances to the game. I remember driving to LaCrosse (Wis.) one time, and it’s about an hour and a half — an hour 45 — from the (Twin) Cities and I remember getting sick on the way there and throwing up in the car all the way. That’s anxiety. That’s performance anxiety 101. And I think when I really found out I was in high school.”
It got worse for the top-20 Rivals.com recruit.
“It just probably mounted up to an anxiety overflow,” said White, who plans to be the central figure in a documentary about dealing with anxiety, along with the doctor he credits for his successful management of the disease, Mary Wilkens. “Which created an anxiety disorder. Which created a fear of panic attacks. So it’s a real complicated thing.”
White said anxiety made him “not himself.”
Now that it’s under control — a two or three, he said, not a seven or eight, he’s philosophical about its effects."

http://thegazette.com/2011/11/23/ro...e-at-iowa-state-and-playing-basketball-again/

Thanks for the explanation, CRG. I did not know this.

Thanks for the explanation, CRG. I did not know this.

Many suspected he has mental illness issues (I still suspect there's some Bi-Polar mixed in there) that were causing the Jekyll & Hyde routine. People like GopherLady know him and say he's the nicest guy you'd ever meet. Then you turn around & hear about him getting kicked out of his dorm complex twice, stealing, attacking the security guard & then being involved in the laptop theft in yet another dorm incident and it the mental illness and/or substance abuse seem likely.

The other thing that gets swept under the rug is that he admitted he knew who stole the laptop, admitted he was there with them, but wouldn't tell. So, when people say that campus PD purposely slow rolled the investigation I think "Sure they did! The kid sat there with a smirk on his face saying ""I know who stole it, but ain't gonna tell you."", well of course the police are going to make his life difficult if he's going to make their job difficult. Not 100% sure, but I think he ended up pleading guilty in the incident too (???). People who say Maturi was the bad guy, got this one all wrong imo. What he needed was medication, counseling & a change of scenery. It sounds like his buddies were a bunch of wanna-be thugs that he needed to distance himself from.

Trevor on the other hand got a raw deal, imo.

The laptop incident he pleaded guilty to trespassing cause that's all they could prove. Also, he didn't want to be called a snitch I think, worried about his reputation.

My favorite part about the Xavier-Cincinnati fiasco is the "heartfelt apologies" coming from both sides after the fact. I sure hope Gates learns his lesson by having to sit out 1 whole Big East game.

Plenty of blame to go around, including both coaches.

Top Bottom