Howden

Lot of issues on defense. Let’s not make Swenson the scapegoat.

I'm not putting all the problems on Swenson. But he was burned on the Wilson TD and took a terrible angle on the Henderson screen.

I'm not putting all the problems on Swenson. But he was burned on the Wilson TD and took a terrible angle on the Henderson screen.
There was also a play where he came up to make a tackle and was just juked out of his shoes. Like he fell down on his face.

There was also a play where he came up to make a tackle and was just juked out of his shoes. Like he fell down on his face.
I don’t remember this play. You know what time of the game it was?

I don’t remember this play. You know what time of the game it was?
I remember looking up at the big screen in the stadium and seeing it front and center. I was also inebriated. So no I do not recall.

Are you talking about the play where he barely made the tackle?

He wasn’t on the field on that Henderson screen from what I could see.
You're correct. That play starts at 11:45 here:
Dixon 11 is FS lined up high middle, while Nubin 27 is SS lined up deep over the slot receiver on the right.

Durr 16 I believe starts out lined up over the left side slot receiver ... but for some reason at the start of the play is running over to the right side, and basically vacated the whole area where the play happens.

Durr and Nubin just look like they lazily jog over to the left side, and don't make a play. The other DBs are blocked and don't make a play.

Walley and TSmith were CBs, covering their wide outs.

OK that was easy ... it was the next drive, the play I was thinking of. @btowngopher

Go to 12:59 in the above link.

Swenson 1 is FS (I think?) lined up farthest back on the left side, behind everyone else. The run goes to the left, he comes up ... and literally looks like he just falls over.

And then the very next play in that highlight is the long throw where no one is near the guy ... then Swenson runs over like he's going to make a tackle and the guy just like hits pause on the control for a second and Swenson goes flying off a cliff, then he resumes running.

Like the old Wile E. Coyote and the Road Runner cartoons.

And then the very next play in that highlight is the long throw where no one is near the guy ... then Swenson runs over like he's going to make a tackle and the guy just like hits pause on the control for a second and Swenson goes flying off a cliff, then he resumes running.

Like the old Wile E. Coyote and the Road Runner cartoons.
That play I assume is some kind of mix up with Smith as they both seem to take the deep guy, pretty tough play to beat the blocker there. He did whiff that tackle on the previous run that’s for sure though.

Swenson/Howden, doesn't matter. We haven't recruited a saftey that can play since PJ Fleck got here. Saying Howden is our best option is a very low bar. Howden and Swenson are PJ Fleck feel good specials. Give them a scholarship and make a big press release out of the magnanimous gesture. Two seasons later we don't have a safety that's any better?

Apparently Safety is our super recruiter's kryptonite.

PJ said in today's presser that Howden is good to go
A walking boot along with staying in lower light level rooms usually are the only treatments one needs to recover quickly from hip concussions.

Swenson/Howden, doesn't matter. We haven't recruited a saftey that can play since PJ Fleck got here. Saying Howden is our best option is a very low bar. Howden and Swenson are PJ Fleck feel good specials. Give them a scholarship and make a big press release out of the magnanimous gesture. Two seasons later we don't have a safety that's any better?

Apparently Safety is our super recruiter's kryptonite.
Transfer portal.

And then:
2022 - Bryson (obviously can't help us this year)
2021 - Darius Green
2020 - Dixon (still needs time)
2019 - Nubin (hope he can take a step forward this year)

Transfer portal.

And then:
2021 - Darius Green
Dixon also coming off injury and hasn't been practicing.

I still have faith in Rossi, but if defense continues to be an issue, need to move.

I'm also not eager to change DCs every 2-3 years hoping one sticks

I don't think Rossi is the issue? When it was such a night/day change after Robb Smith.

Transfer portal.

And then:
2021 - Darius Green
Plus 2018- Handy Holly and Beck, these two leaving really set things back I think. You’d think we’d be able to attract a decent amount of talent with the success other dbs have had here.

Plus 2018- Handy Holly and Beck, these two leaving really set things back I think. You’d think we’d be able to attract a decent amount of talent with the success other dbs have had here.
Nailed it. Losing Handy-Holly & Beck left holes in our depth chart. Howden was forced into action too soon. He's an adequate Safety now. Under normal conditions Swenson would be a career special teams guy, but here we are. I've never questioned his effort, that's for sure. Fleck seems to have recruited well enough with Nubin, Dixon & Green all showing promise. We'll be fine.

Nailed it. Losing Handy-Holly & Beck left holes in our depth chart. Howden was forced into action too soon. He's an adequate Safety now. Under normal conditions Swenson would be a career special teams guy, but here we are. I've never questioned his effort, that's for sure. Fleck seems to have recruited well enough with Nubin, Dixon & Green all showing promise. We'll be fine.
Additionally we missed on the juco all American who transferred (or maybe just decommitted) to Houston.

Well when your safeties have to make every play the finger can also be pointed at the D line and linebackers who are being out worked to allow backs to that level.

Interesting looking back at Handy-Holly and Beck.

HH never played a down of football due to a concussion.

Beck played regularly at Texas Tech, but still wasn't a normal starter as of his junior season last year.

Be interesting to see how Beck compares with Howden, but just goes to show what a crapshoot college recruiting can be.

Interesting looking back at Handy-Holly and Beck.

HH never played a down of football due to a concussion.

Beck played regularly at Texas Tech, but still wasn't a normal starter as of his junior season last year.

Be interesting to see how Beck compares with Howden, but just goes to show what a crapshoot college recruiting can be.
He played in '17 here -- he transferred to walk on at Auburn and then got a concussion in '18 fall camp.

He played in '17 here -- he transferred to walk on at Auburn and then got a concussion in '18 fall camp.

Oh, my bad. I didn't remember him ever suiting up with us. Either way, he never became a contributor in the college game.

Top Bottom