How will the basketball team be affected by football boycott?

Life's too short to sit here and grind my teeth about the impact it will have on the basketball team, or what's going to happen 3 months down the road. Hopefully there will be no impact on the team, but nothing will surprise me.

Just gonna' continue to enjoy the season, hope Gophers continue to surprise us, pull for the ones that choose to continue to represent the U of M, and if we're lucky we will have enjoyed an unexpected NCAA Tournament season. If Pitino (or any other coach) chooses to leave, so be it, we'll go look for another coach, one that (presumably) would inherit an above-average B1G roster Pitino will have left behind.

This incident isn't great for anyone associated with the U. The image is tarnished. Hopefully that's the extent of its affect on the basketball team.

The baseball team is joining the boycott. Let's hope this doesn't spread to basketball. If this turns into a deal where black athletes believe that the University comes down unevenly on them, regardless of the truth- our programs across the board are toast for years to come.

Where have you seen the baseball team is joining the boycott?

Go Gophers!!

Crazy. Gopher hoops now has a golden opportunity to be a shining light for the University, on and off the court. Who would have thought that 9 months ago?
We set the bar low in Minnesota. [emoji41]

Seems far more likely the hammer could still come down on Reggie Lynch? Last year has to be last year by now for the other guys, doesn't it? Just a very flawed system they have going on there in administration...
They'll suspend him just before our first NCAA tournament game in Dayton. [emoji41]

I hate what the guys were involved in. However, there is no proof of rape. The code of conduct is not evenly enforced university wide. It appears that athletes who are high profile are under the most scrutiny and there is no due process for them- at least not visible here.
The code of conduct - if strictly and evenly enforced probably eliminates 25% of the University students or more.

The baseball team is joining the boycott. Let's hope this doesn't spread to basketball. If this turns into a deal where black athletes believe that the University comes down unevenly on them, regardless of the truth- our programs across the board are toast for years to come.
I welcome every athlete of color and all who hate institutional racism to rise up in boycott. This issue is greater than any win - loss record.

If past history is any indication they'll probably come together as a team.

One of the possible outcomes is that Pitino says to himself, "I guess I'm not imagining what kind of impossible situations this institution puts its coaches into" and decides that the end of this season is a good time to get out.

My biggest fear.

I welcome every athlete of color and all who hate institutional racism to rise up in boycott. This issue is greater than any win - loss record.

I don't think any of this is based on racism. The Princeton men's swim team was just suspended for vulgar text messages.

I don't think any of this is based on racism. The Princeton men's swim team was just suspended for vulgar text messages.
Also just suspended Washington University in St Louis for vulgar comments.

But we elected a white guy who makes vulgar sexual comments so its easy to how confusion could set in...

But we elected a white guy who makes vulgar sexual comments so its easy to how confusion could set in...

The dude won over a woman who enabled her rapist husband...further adding to the societal confusion. Maybe all of this moral relativity is not working out so well. Kids, many of whom are partly raised by other kids, are now trying to figure out what the new standards look like. It turns out that what might get you in deep trouble in one setting is perfectly fine in another and even cool among those who they grew up with.

The dude today tweeted that China's drone theft was "unpresidented". Hot damn!...this is gonna be a fun 4 yrs. :clap: And now...back to basketball.

Enjoying the Kentucky v UNC matchup. Those teams are scary Good! Has anybody heard if the NCAA has officially sanctioned UNC cheating:confused:

It turns out that what might get you in deep trouble in one setting is perfectly fine in another and even cool among those who they grew up with.
It is not perfectly fine or cool and it is not confusing in the least.

The dude won over a woman who enabled her rapist husband...further adding to the societal confusion. Maybe all of this moral relativity is not working out so well. Kids, many of whom are partly raised by other kids, are now trying to figure out what the new standards look like. It turns out that what might get you in deep trouble in one setting is perfectly fine in another and even cool among those who they grew up with.
Right - if you are rich and powerful, you can get away with it and if you are not you can't. Perfectly clear.

Glad you're able to justify voting for someone who would ridicule a disabled reposter and brag about his sexual exploits. It's locker room talk if you're rich, and something you can be arrested for if you're not - exactly as you said.
What's ok if you're rich & white & male is a completely different thing if you are not, or if you are a woman. And what you'll excuse in others depends on this too.

I had someone leap over rows of seats to yell at me and threaten me at Williams Arena for respectfully stating my opinion about about the team and asking for respect for their play during tough times. Bet that doesn't happen to you. I had an executive male stand over me and scream at Sensors when I informed him that Humphries indeed was recruited by Duke but he turned them down. Lots of men cannot stand being told anything by someone 'beneath' them - due to race or gender.
We all hope that Sir Moonlight won't have to fight to protect me for saying simple things men say all the time - he's not getting any younger.

If you don't mind my asking, when you and Sir Moonlight tussle, who usually comes out on top:confused:

If you don't mind my asking, when you and Sir Moonlight tussle, who usually comes out on top:confused:
You'll just have to wait to see if the Russians reveal this classified information...! But then - it could be fake news they leak so...

If you are talking about the football players in question, do you have personal knowledge of each of their backgrounds, ghazi? Do you know if they were raised by "other children" or are you engaging in a convenient and comfortable stereotype?

In terms of moral relativity, one of your favorite topics, you are quite comfortable supporting an admitted child molester, who is also a republican. You are quite comfortable supporting a man for president who personally advocates violence against women, because he is a republican. You have supported the interference of another country in our elections, because it benefitted the republicans. I can go on.

As it applies to you, it's not distinctly moral relativism, because you are amoral.

As to how the FB situation might impact the Basketball program: Pitino just watched the AD and College President lie about the FB coach's involvement with the player suspensions. And watched the AD basically hide under his desk and alienate the football players. If Pitino has doubts about the leadership at the U of M, that could make him more likely to look at other job opportunities.

As to how the FB situation might impact the Basketball program: Pitino just watched the AD and College President lie about the FB coach's involvement with the player suspensions. And watched the AD basically hide under his desk and alienate the football players. If Pitino has doubts about the leadership at the U of M, that could make him more likely to look at other job opportunities.

If nothing else, this mess has created a very troubling perception amongst all of the coaches regarding their new Athletic Director. The jury may have been out on him before, but this gives the coaches a better idea of what to expect when the heat is on and chips are down.

On a secondary note, the profile of this mysterious Title IX, EOAA extra-judicial body has been raised and I certainly did not think much about it before, although I was aware of some of the controversial cases at other schools, an not all involved athletics.

Does anyone else suspect that it is almost a certainty that the Reggie Lynch situation and the Dorsey video case both made their way into the EOAA's radar? I do not recall hearing anything about the EOAA in regards to these two situations.

Ok, let's be very clear. There was never ONE allegation that the basketball incident was sexual assault. Not one. It was consensual.

They are very, very different situations.

I have no info on the accusations...so please fill me in if you have some of the facts. They could be very similar if it was consensual and the young woman changed her mind at some point during (and didn't verbalize it) or felt remorse afterwards. People were worried this would happen to the hoops trio after the video got out. To be clear, if they assaulted her I wish them nothing but the worst.

Ok, let's be very clear. There was never ONE allegation that the basketball incident was sexual assault. Not one. It was consensual.

They are very, very different situations.

Why exactly were the three players suspended for the rest of the year last year, after the football thing I am really having a hard time understanding that suspension, makes no sense at all.

Why exactly were the three players suspended for the rest of the year last year, after the football thing I am really having a hard time understanding that suspension, makes no sense at all.

Because Pitino holds his players to a higher standard than Claeys? In reality it probably had more to do with the fact that video made it online. What I can't believe is that all of these happened after Norwood Teague and not during his reign.

Top Bottom