How will Claeys do at the helm?

Hire Claeys. It's the only move, we need stability.

Really encouraged that everyone on this thread and the fan base seems behind this move.

Given that A) this is an astronomical year for CFB coach turnover, and B) the U still has an AD to hire, Claeys at the helm is the best play.

Given that A) this is an astronomical year for CFB coach turnover, and B) the U still has an AD to hire, Claeys at the helm is the best play.

This. Claeys is the answer for stability, which makes it a safe pick.

You don't want to be on the coaching carousel the same year as both USCs and Miami. Many schools are going to end up with bad fits.

One guy I'd like the Gophers to consider in the offseason is Notre Dame DC Brian VanGorder. He's a stand-up family guy, coaches defense at a high level and is a very strong closer on the recruiting side.

No outside coach worth their salt will want to come into a situation with an interim-AD at the helm.
Agreed. Either hire Claeys internally or you have to accelerate the AD process in order to hire someone before signing day.

The offense had some creativity when Limegrover had some latitude during Claeys' last HC stint in 2013.

Maybe that will happen again.

This.

I'd hate to be an optimist, but..this might be a blessing in disguise, let me
explain:
Losing Jerry is extremely difficult, he got the ship righted and made us
respectable again. I love Jerry and wish him and his family the very best.

I think Claeys is the new permanent HC and
Jay Sawvel is the new DC.

With some BIG coaching opportunities coming up, and Houston and Memphis
coming up with some possible vacancies too, with their coaches likely offered
better programs, this promotes two of our most successful coaches in one of
the most successful coaching staff's in college football.

And if you remember, Claeys was 4-0 and Limegrover called his own offense.
I hope Jerry keeps around, even in just a motivation/recruiting role, but i'm
still optimistic we'll be ok, and we'll keep adding bricks.

Hire Claeys. Promote Sawvel to DC before he leaves. Pray we keep our recruits.

This. Claeys is the answer for stability, which makes it a safe pick.

You don't want to be on the coaching carousel the same year as both USCs and Miami. Many schools are going to end up with bad fits.

One guy I'd like the Gophers to consider in the offseason is Notre Dame DC Brian VanGorder. He's a stand-up family guy, coaches defense at a high level and is a very strong closer on the recruiting side.

And South Carolina

Unless the hiring timeline for the AD is moved up have to believe Claeys and the staff stay on through next season. The AD is going to want to bring in their own guy. If the AD is Goetz chance of Claeys named as the HC improve but I wouldn't say this is a for sure thing or the only move unless Kaler signs off on a 5 year deal for Claeys leaving the new AD without much choice.

Please please name Claeys the permanent coach immediately for the sake of everyone.

Claeyes should get the job. Love that man. Genuine, honest, smart. He may not be flashy but that is # 234 on my list of important traits.

Give them a chance. I'd like to creat continuity instead of confusion for recruits.

Disagree -

Completely believe Jerry Kill made sure his coaches are secure at the University of Minnesota. Would lay down a dime Claeys announcement comes next week.

No outside coach worth their salt will want to come into a situation with an interim-AD at the helm. Keep Claeys, continue to build, lock up the recruits, pray for Coach Kill.

They will likely hire the AD first, to allow that person to be the one to pick the coach. That is especially true if they plan to keep Goetz. If we hear they are going to hire the football coach first, then we'll know Goetz is NOT going to be the AD. The University will do a full search for a replacement even if they plan to hire Claeys. Which is the right decision. This is the opposite of the continuity we were getting used to.

Clay's should have the opportunity to have the head coaching job for the future, yet as watching one of the worst offenses in the country, i could only hope that he would be able to stay with the condition that he bring in a new offensive coordinator.

Keep entire staff in place. Flip coin on replacement Head Coach. Heads=Tim Brewster; Tails=Glen Mason.

(Please be tails).

Clay's should have the opportunity to have the head coaching job for the future, yet as watching one of the worst offenses in the country, i could only hope that he would be able to stay with the condition that he bring in a new offensive coordinator.

This is would I would personally prefer. But would understand if it didn't happen too and think we would be fine either way.

I'd like to see how the rest of this season plays out first.

The absolute last thing I want to see the The "U" fast-tracking an AD hire just so they can accelerate the FB coach hiring process.

That has ****-up written all over it.

Get the AD hire right, and move on from there, whether that is Claeys or an outside coach.

Yeah, let's talk to Purdue, Indiana, and Illinois about how that coaching search has gone...

I can get behind Claeys as head coach, but let me ask this, does Claeys even want the job? He's been content to be a DC up until now. He could easily land another DC job. Not everyone is cut out to be a head coach, perhaps he doesn't want that headache.

If I had a choice between the entire staff being back (other than Kill obviously), or an outside hire... I would probably lean the latter. I would do whatever I could to keep Sawvel as DC under the new coach. This is a fairly attractive job right now with the facilities being built, new stadium, solid foundation, etc and I think you can do better than a 1st time head coach and Matt Limegrover.

If Claeys does get the job, I hope its under the condition he needs to hire a full time offensive coordinator, and let Limegrover coach the line.

Give Claeys the job. Let's not go back to square one.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Captain Obvious just told me "This is not like 1985 with Lou Holtz jumping ship and leaving us holding the bag."

I'm betting we'll be the same team with TC on the sidelines. I think this staff should get at least a year. Kill has always left programs in better shape than when he arrived.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the next 5 or 6 games is kinda like a job interview for Claeys. See how the team responds.

For the sake of continuity of the rebuilding process and recruiting, hire Coach Claeys as the permanent coach. We have stability in the program. We don't want to be set back another fifty years.

I can see Jerry Kill at some point in time maybe lend a hand in recruiting if he nurses himself back to health minus the stress of coaching.

I think the next 5 or 6 games is kinda like a job interview for Claeys. See how the team responds.

In his news interview he had earlier this spring, the question came up about a "Head Coaching Job". Claeys stated he would like to one day be a head coach, but it had to be the right situation. I can't see it being any more right for the guy. Here's why:

1) Been with Coach Kill for over 20 years. Would have instant credibility.
2) Would have Jerry as a consultant because of his relationship and loyalty
3) Jerry requested he take the reigns of the program
4) He would be in a culture that he's been with his entire coaching career.
5) He's had a practice run several years ago. Did well!

Yes, there are "sexy" coaches available right now, but none that could be plugged into the program like Coach Claeys. Our recruiting has been for this particular program and we have the infrastructure to be successful right now and into the future.

A Claeys hire would be ideal.

Top Bottom