How pessimistic can I be?

Well both have gone to BCS bowl games and have been ranked in the top 10 nationally consistently for the past 5 years. Only 3 out of the 12 big ten teams can compare in bowl success during that time. If they were in the BIG they would be finishing in the top half year in and year out, which would be overachieving when compared to their recruiting rankings.

I also should have clarified that my main point was that teams can be successful without 4 and 5 star recruits. Also, the gophers will have to start winning with these 2-3 star recruits in order to land the better players.

Also, people talk like Kill isn't recruiting higher ranked players when he definitely is. The gophers need to get out of the big ten cellar in order for him to start landing a few of them.

I didn't say TCU and Boise weren't good teams, but they beat up on their weak conference opponents and only have a handful of games they have to get up for each year. How they would do in the big10 is debatable. No team in the big10 will ever win the conference without 4 star recruits in this day and age.

Why do people keep bringing up TCU and Boise State? TCU has brought in 7 four-star recruits in the last two classes alone. That's how Minnesota should do it. Forget about the five-star guys, focus on getting a a least 3 or 4 solid four-star guys every class and fill in the rest with three-star prospects. You can't win consistenly when the team across from you has better players. You'll get lucky sometimes, but the lifeblood of any college football program is recruiting. Get better, higher ranked players than your opponents and you will win. Guarenteed.

McDonald, Harbison, Hayes, and Pirsig were all 4 stars at some point. Bobek was also a 4 star (and the #2 center in his class).

McDonald, Harbison, Hayes, and Pirsig were all 4 stars at some point. Bobek was also a 4 star (and the #2 center in his class).

"At one point." I'm not even sure what that means. According to scout.com, Minnesota has zero 4* kids for 2012 and 2013.

I think you bring up a good point there. Also, with Hinojosa having received looks from PSU and Miami, how many stars do you think he'd have?

There's more to recruiting than just adding up star ratings. Does the player fit into your offensive or defensive systems? Is he coachable, or is he a prima donna?

In recruiting, you're looking at a 16- or 17-year-old kid, and trying to project what type of player and what type of person that kid will become in 3 or 4 years. It is not an exact science. Yes, star ratings are an indicator of overall athletic ability, but stars don't measure heart, attitude or desire.

Don't get me wrong - given a choice, I'd rather have more 4* players than the other team, but it's way too simplistic to base everything on the number of stars you have on your roster.

As far as being optimistic or pessimistic, I am expecting/hoping for a 6-6 season. If Kill can make it to a bowl game in his 2nd year, that would show me enough progress to be hopeful.

If he gets to 6 wins this year after the terrible mess he inherited, he may deserve a statue.

If he gets to 6 wins this year after the terrible mess he inherited, he may deserve a statue.

Let's not get carried away. 6-6 is not out of reach. IF, and with the recent track record it is a big IF, they go 4-0 in the NC, it would only take 2 BT wins to get to 6. The past two seasons were brutal and they BOTH consisted of 2 BT wins.

Top Bottom