How many people jump out of the boat now?

Jeshurun

King of the Too's
Reaction score
Does the general minnesota fan who was suddenly interested now say “same old gophers”? Do we lose all momentum or do we retain some?

I’m sure we’ll lose some. But we’ll gain plenty as well. We need to follow this up with a good season again. It sucks we lost to our two biggest rivals.

Does the general minnesota fan who was suddenly interested now say “same old gophers”? Do we lose all momentum or do we retain some?
I think the general Minnesota fan goes back to being what most Minnesota fans are best at, being fair weather and negative right away.

After 10-2, a share of the West title and playing the final game of the season for a trip to Indy?

Not many I would think, outside of the really stupid ones.

After 10-2, a share of the West title and playing the final game of the season for a trip to Indy?

Those that bail we didn’t need anyway. Sucks to lose to Iowa and Wisconsin but that doesn’t change what was a massive step in the right direction this season.

todays game showed we still have a ways to go, but the future is very bright for this team.

Yup. Will be that way until Rose bowl....unfortunately just the way it is around here

The reality is...the season is over. A rather insignificant bowl game will occur where fans can fly to get out of the cold and snow for a couple days, but the outcome of that game will be meaningless. So, yes, for the casual fan...they just jumped off the boat and are now waiting to see if the Vikings do anything. Others will go on to basketball or hockey and then to baseball. But, this season is effectively over.

There will be some that hop off but there will still way more than we had in the beginning or middle of the season.

I think the general Minnesota fan goes back to being what most Minnesota fans are best at, being fair weather and negative right away.
This. GHers will be around in April breaking down the spring game, but the casual fan won't care utnil MN beats Iowa early next year. Same as always. Whatever.

Fleck actually gave a really passionate statement on this very topic in the postgame presser:

I agree totally. If the loss today, even if to Wisconsin, ruins a 10 win season and the obvious progress we’ve made, causes you to give up, good riddance.

Fair or not, the rivalry games are the ones that most people remember. This year, the Gophers were 0-2 against their two biggest rivals. yes, 10 wins is very good by recent Gopher standards - but losing to IA and WI is exactly what people want to see change.

The big question for next year - at least for some - will be winning the rivalry games. a 10-2 season with wins over IA and WI would be viewed a LOT more favorably than a 10-2 season with losses to IA and WI.

Most people alive have never witnessed the Gophers win a Big 10 title or a division title. This program has decades of poor performance to make up for before it has a strong fan base that sticks with it through thick and thin. Because of this season’s cupcake schedule, this should’ve been our chance to start to build this fan base. Instead, many Minnesotans and recruits watched today’s game and thought “Same old gophers.” Hard to argue that they’re wrong.

Say we win our bowl game.

The casual fan is likely to see the season as 2-2 against good teams plus a bunch of wins against teams we should beat.

The hardcore fan sees it as 2-2 against good teams plus a bunch of wins against teams we should beat, but we lost to the Badgers and Hawkeyes.

Which fan is more down on the team?

On top of that, I think both fans don't properly appreciate what it means now that 2/3rds of our Big Ten opponents are classified as "teams we should beat".

Fair or not, the rivalry games are the ones that most people remember. This year, the Gophers were 0-2 against their two biggest rivals. yes, 10 wins is very good by recent Gopher standards - but losing to IA and WI is exactly what people want to see change.

The big question for next year - at least for some - will be winning the rivalry games. a 10-2 season with wins over IA and WI would be viewed a LOT more favorably than a 10-2 season with losses to IA and WI.

So you want to beat Iowa and Wisconsin and you're okay with losing to Maryland and Nebraska instead?
Or did you have two other teams you would feel better about?

If I'm going to lose 2 games, these would probably be the two, and the timing over the PSU win was important.
What two games this season did you want to lose instead?

Proof will be in the pudding. I think a few new fans will stick around. I'm sure a fair number will go back to the sidelines and take a "wait and see" approach. Next year our biggest games happen in September and October so we likely won't benefit from having a full house for Iowa and Michigan like we did this year. IMHO.

We are 10-2. If people can't enjoy that, they shouldn't be sports fans. Same for the people that didn't enjoy last year's Twins team.

All I know is that I have October 17th circled on my calendar. The day the Little Brown Jug remains in Minneapolis.

Why ask the question in the first place? The weak fans are always weak. Next game, who is up?

I don't post much, actually had to create a new profile after the switch. When I tried to sign in it told me that my email was invalid. Anyway I don't care how many jump off the boat seems like we had a lot of bandwagon fans after the Penn State game. It's the Vikings fans that bother me that for some reason think the vikings have won a big game. They are all over Twitter just trolling the Gophers.

Hopefully those new fans that attended the Penn State and Wisconsin games enjoyed themselves and realized that college football is more than just the game. It is an event!! Tailgating with friends and some enemies. The campus and the band.

It will be interesting to see how many new season tickets are sold over the last month in to next year.

Thanks for a great year and many memories shared with my son!!

So you want to beat Iowa and Wisconsin and you're okay with losing to Maryland and Nebraska instead?
Or did you have two other teams you would feel better about?

If I'm going to lose 2 games, these would probably be the two, and the timing over the PSU win was important.
What two games this season did you want to lose instead?
If we had beat iowa and wisconsin, and lost to Maryland and nebraska as you suggest, I'd be booking my ticket to Indy right now. So yes, I would absolutely make that trade.

10-2 exceeded expectations for all.

It is inappropriate to be disappointed because if you called 10-2 then you may have been high.

However, this is partially true. Blue bloods and their fans share this view. See Michigan who has had more sustained success under Harbaugh compared to the 3 coaches before them. Beating Ohio State is everything. We should feel the same way to a certain extent.

We felt the season was salvaged last year because of the WI win. Can’t have it both ways and say this doesn’t sting/cause more uproar than losing to say MD.

Top Bottom