How Many Coaches

Gopherbbdude

Reaction score
I wonder how old most of you are and I try to guess by the posts you make. Just curious, how many coaches you have seen come and go at MN?

My guess is the RP haters are the younger crowd(obviously there are exceptions) and the guys that aren't sure are or are RP supports are the old crowd.

I've seen the following and Tubby, by far was the worst of them.
Haskins
Monson
Tubby
RP

Please don't make this into another rant thread on RP.

Musselman
Dutcher
Molinari
Haskins
Monson
Tubby
Pitino

Musselman was my favorite, best combination of coaching and recruiting. Dutcher was the best since he wasn't too far behind Muss on recruiting and he ran a clean program. Haskins was a damn good coach as well! The rest, are kinda, meh.

Monson
Molinari
Tubby
RP

Monson was a dump fire. Not a dumpster fire those are contained in a metal box but an actual dump fire. When Molinari took over and the team played better.....then we knew we had been had.

I wonder how old most of you are and I try to guess by the posts you make. Just curious, how many coaches you have seen come and go at MN?

My guess is the RP haters are the younger crowd(obviously there are exceptions) and the guys that aren't sure are or are RP supports are the old crowd.

Haskins
Monson
Tubby
RP

I became a Gopher fan just one coach before you (Dutcher), but not a season-ticket holder until Clem (1992-93 season). They all have their pros and cons, for sure.

Not getting into the scandal and the number of NCAA bids they each had and all that, but I will say Clem's teams, win or lose, consistently played the hardest. As a season-ticket holder that is a very important trait for me. It's very easy to support a team/program that plays with great effort every night, even if the results aren't always (in our case, quite often) what we want.

Dutcher
Williams
Haskins
Monson
Molinari
Tubby
Pitino

I think they need to change only for the sake of change.
But all of the coaches Monson to present have essentially been the same thing.
Always fighting to be a bubble team.

I think it has less to do about the coach at this point.
Only a PJ Fleck / Change the culture, type hire is going to impact anything, but the likely result is we are a bubble team for the next 5 years with change or without change.

Musselman
Dutcher
Molinari
Haskins
Monson
Tubby
Pitino

Musselman was my favorite, best combination of coaching and recruiting. Dutcher was the best since he wasn't too far behind Muss on recruiting and he ran a clean program. Haskins was a damn good coach as well! The rest, are kinda, meh.
Add Kundla, Fitch and George Hanson for my list. I guess we can't really include Bill Luther...:)

When I was born, Ozzie Cowles was head coach, but I dont remember him or Kundla. I do remember Bill Fitch, and everyone since.

Most of you are forgetting George Hanson, Jimmie Williams and Jim Molinari on your list.

Musselman was my favorite. The energy around the program was incredible, and that was way before the internet. People everywhere talked about Gopher basketball.

Musselman
Dutcher
Molinari
Haskins
Monson
Tubby
Pitino

Musselman was terrific. He was about 30 or so recruiting violations from perfect.

Haskins was an amazing developer of players, just a decent recruiter. A lot of kids like Webber and El Amin loved him but for varying reasons he couldn't close the deal. Vo Leonard and Courtney James were really the only highly rated out of state kids he got that I can recall and of course he was able to get Sam Jacobson locally. Like nearly every other coach here, he had to reach for some high risk kids like James and Archambeau and worse yet did a little grade manipulation to get Bobby Jackson in.

Haskins would have been looking at a different situation today with the talent that is coming up. If he had the town's backing like he did then and perhaps some help from the AAU guys, he might have done pretty well.

Dutcher
Williams
Haskins
Monson
Molinari
Tubby
Pitino

When Clem had it rolling The Barn was absolutely special. Haskins had his down years but his runs in the NCAA Tourney gave fans the impression he could rebuild it from step back years.

Last edited:

Kundla
Luther
Fitch
Hanson
Musselman
Dutcher
Williams
Haskins
Monson
Molinari
Tubby
Pitino

Not sure if Cal Luther was before or after Fitch. Accepted the job one evening and resigned the next morning. Of course, that was a long time ago and it was the 60's . . .
Your hypothesis is correct, I would just as soon keep Pitino.

I came to the U from out of state right when Tubby was hired. So I'd fit into your younger category with just Tubby and RP. My personal belief is that RP has had some tough luck in some years and some times showing his youth as well. I'd like to see at least one more year. I think one of these years we will have things break our way and end up with a decent run in March.

Lil' Ricky and Monson are the two worst, but to be fair to Mons- he inherited a bad situation. Tubby seemed like a great fit, it just didn't work out. Sucks how Gopher fans have just come to accept mediocrity. I think we can be a consistent power with the right guy. WI has done it in football and basketball; no reason it can't be done here. Perhaps with PJ, we have the football think going the right direction.
There is no way Pitino should be coaching here next year. I would dump my 20 year season tickets if he does.

Lil' Ricky and Monson are the two worst, but to be fair to Mons- he inherited a bad situation. Tubby seemed like a great fit, it just didn't work out. Sucks how Gopher fans have just come to accept mediocrity. I think we can be a consistent power with the right guy. WI has done it in football and basketball; no reason it can't be done here. Perhaps with PJ, we have the football think going the right direction.
There is no way Pitino should be coaching here next year. I would dump my 20 year season tickets if he does.
I will not dump my tickets if he stays but will reduce the gift. If UW can win big in both sports so can we. The hired great coaches because they had a wonderful AD who networked among coaches to find out who was great.

Man....I feel young on this thread

However, I was around for Dutcher, but was a young kid who didn't give a crap about basketball. although I do remember my Dad getting excited about Tucker and Brewer.

Monson
Tubby
Pitino
I'm still undecided about Pitino's 8th year. I understand he hasn't produced good, even mediocre results in the B1G. I do see a better recruiting, but maybe that's just me always looking for the positive?

Haskins (First coach I remember from when we had Voshon Leonard and Bobby Jackson and Quincy Lewis and Kevin Clark I was young!)
Monson
Molinari
Tubby
Pitino

Les- I love your posts - always fun. But the Lil' Ricky thing really takes away from your viewpoint on this in my opinion. Do as you will, he is a decent guy and he is our coach at the present.

Last edited:

Haskins
Monson
Tubby
RP

I like your question, but I think the RP haters are the older crowd, who have a longer history of seeing how other coaches performed. GO GOPHERS!

Musselman
Dutcher
Molinari
Haskins
Monson
Tubby
Pitino

I think Otis is my new best friend. :) His list and comments are exactly the same as mine. I would add that I liked when Haskins would bring in his 2nd unit players (Miles Tarvers, etc), and that group would hustle and annoy the other teams starters, for a few minutes. Then he would bring back his starters, and that seemed to work well. GO GOPHERS!

I like your question, but I think the RP haters are the older crowd, who have a longer history of seeing how other coaches performed. GO GOPHERS!

Yep, I'm older and I hate him. I haven't even been a real Gopher fan for that long (about 8 or 9 years) but I've been a basketball fan plenty long enough to have witnessed multiple good coaches and recognize that Pitino isn't one.

I lived through every year from when Clem was hired to now. Probably really started paying attention when I was like 9-10...season ticket holder the past few years. On the fence going forward (life reasons, not Pitino reasons)

Dutcher was the best. Only mistake was bringing in that scum bag Mitch Lee. He won a conference title and had several other teams that would have been invited to the big dance if the field was as large then as it is now.

Haskins
Monson
Tubby
RP

Same list as you. Disagree on Tubby. Monson and RP are about a tie. All them were decent guys (asterisk for Clem).

Musselman
Dutcher
Molinari
Haskins
Monson
Tubby
Pitino

I grew up on the Iron Range and live in Ohio now. Never held season tickets but I will make sure when they are on to set up my day to watch. If I can’t make that work I record it and watch. I’m not bashing Pitino and I don’t fit your conclusion. My basketball background and eye test tell me it’s time for someone else to get a crack at this job. I truly think that the university has spent the money and effort to make the facilities top notch. With the talent in the backyard, if the next coach can harness that, this program will be good, and can be consistently good. Look I yell at the tv, my wife thinks I’m nuts. They should be good most years. I was willing to give Richard his chance but I see to much of the same issues year after year regardless of the people on the floor. I will be the first guy to commend him if he succeeds somewhere else. He has had his chance and it’s time.

Be ready to drop them I think he's staying another year.

Anyways: my list of guys who I remember:

Haskins: Loved him. It's when I fell in love with gophers hoops. Was pretty heart broken to see him fall from grace, but we live with the decisions we make.

Monson: Did fine right away, but it got stale. Appreciate his time here. Don't know if he was ever a great fit.

Tubby: Ecstatic and thought he was gonna bring us back and to his credit was on his way, then ran into some rough patches and seem to quit.

Pitino: Knew he was like the 10th choice and didn't expect a ton. I did appreciate his efforts to improve his relationship with high school coaches when he got here. Made some horrible blunders right away and I don't know if he'll be able to recover here.

Kundla
Luther
Fitch
Hanson
Musselman
Dutcher
Williams
Haskins
Monson
Molinari
Tubby
Pitino

Not sure if Cal Luther was before or after Fitch. Accepted the job one evening and resigned the next morning. Of course, that was a long time ago and it was the 60's . . .
Your hypothesis is correct, I would just as soon keep Pitino.
This is my list as well. Saw a ton of talent in those years and not many legit NCAA tourney runs. Changing coaches in Gopher history hasn't been that great of an experience.

Top Bottom