How Many Coaches

This is my list as well. Saw a ton of talent in those years and not many legit NCAA tourney runs. Changing coaches in Gopher history hasn't been that great of an experience.
I could also argue that sticking with one too long also hasn’t gone well either.

I could also argue that sticking with one too long also hasn’t gone well either.
Nothing has gone real well for 45 years so it should not be hard to get this thing going. :) We had a final four appearance but then we found out that didn't go so well either.

Started following the team during Tubby Smith's run. Was born in 88, so in my lifetime:
Clem Haskins
Dan Monson
Tubby Smith
Richard Pitino

My first year at the U was when Voshon Lenard was a Freshman. So Tubby going forward. I liked Clem more than the rest. I lived on just down the road from Bierman and you could here the Barn rock when they had a big game. Oh the times have changed.

Yep, I'm older and I hate him. I haven't even been a real Gopher fan for that long (about 8 or 9 years) but I've been a basketball fan plenty long enough to have witnessed multiple good coaches and recognize that Pitino isn't one.

you sure waste a lot of energy when you hate someone you have never met or talked to.

Lil' Ricky and Monson are the two worst, but to be fair to Mons- he inherited a bad situation. Tubby seemed like a great fit, it just didn't work out. Sucks how Gopher fans have just come to accept mediocrity. I think we can be a consistent power with the right guy. WI has done it in football and basketball; no reason it can't be done here. Perhaps with PJ, we have the football think going the right direction.
There is no way Pitino should be coaching here next year. I would dump my 20 year season tickets if he does.

If you dropping your tickets would mean we don't have to read your small penis syndrome "Lil' Ricky" nickname consistently on here.....PLEASE KEEP PITINO.

Be ready to drop them I think he's staying another year.

Anyways: my list of guys who I remember:

Haskins: Loved him. It's when I fell in love with gophers hoops. Was pretty heart broken to see him fall from grace, but we live with the decisions we make.

Monson: Did fine right away, but it got stale. Appreciate his time here. Don't know if he was ever a great fit.

Tubby: Ecstatic and thought he was gonna bring us back and to his credit was on his way, then ran into some rough patches and seem to quit.

Pitino: Knew he was like the 10th choice and didn't expect a ton. I did appreciate his efforts to improve his relationship with high school coaches when he got here. Made some horrible blunders right away and I don't know if he'll be able to recover here.
I don't need to respond. You said everything I would have...basically.

Be ready to drop them I think he's staying another year.

Anyways: my list of guys who I remember:

Haskins: Loved him. It's when I fell in love with gophers hoops. Was pretty heart broken to see him fall from grace, but we live with the decisions we make.

Monson: Did fine right away, but it got stale. Appreciate his time here. Don't know if he was ever a great fit.

Tubby: Ecstatic and thought he was gonna bring us back and to his credit was on his way, then ran into some rough patches and seem to quit.

Pitino: Knew he was like the 10th choice and didn't expect a ton. I did appreciate his efforts to improve his relationship with high school coaches when he got here. Made some horrible blunders right away and I don't know if he'll be able to recover here.
Why do you think they're gonna give him another year? Relationship between him and Coyle?

you sure waste a lot of energy when you hate someone you have never met or talked to.

Don't worry. No effort at all. Hating comes easy for me. It's my best emotion. I don't have to know or talk to someone at all to hate him.

Don't worry. No effort at all. Hating comes easy for me. It's my best emotion. I don't have to know or talk to someone at all to hate him.

What a great life that would be. We could never be friends ?

Haskins was the first coach that I remember even though technically Dutcher was the coach when I was born.

I think the implication in this thread is that the people who want Pitino gone are just too young to realize how bad things have always been here. While we were a middle of the pack/bubble team for years, those are the highlights of Pitino's years here not the baseline.

In Pitino's best years, we have been bubble teams. In his worst years, we are terrible.

That is quite a bit different than being a perennial bubble team.

My question is how many coaches before our next conference championship. My hope is only one. I know by now that it won't happen under this one. That's not negativity or pessimism; that's just acceptance.

Every year that passes is one year closer to the next glory year. Anyone who doesn't think that can or will ever occur, please get out of the way. In the meantime, there have been plenty of good memories since I started closely following the program in 1982, but most of them were in those first 15 years and relatively few in the past 23. That needs to change, and the sooner the better. I'll do whatever I can to help.

I think the implication in this thread is that the people who want Pitino gone are just too young to realize how bad things have always been here. While we were a middle of the pack/bubble team for years, those are the highlights of Pitino's years here not the baseline.

In Pitino's best years, we have been bubble teams. In his worst years, we are terrible.

That is quite a bit different than being a perennial bubble team.

I agree with your assessment of the Pitino years but I don't get the implication that the people who want Pitino gone are the younger people (of course, I haven't read most of the thread).

I'm likely one of the older people who posts on this site and I want him gone. Seems to me that most of the middle-agers want him gone.

Here is the thing that is mildly shocking to me about this season and the fact that more people than I would have thought appear willing to settle for another year or more of Pitino. The football program (with a some notable exception years) had gone through a longer period of the doldrums than the basketball program. But, after Fleck's second year, most people were pretty optimistic about the future (I know I was). And, boy oh boy, did Fleck and Company deliver on that optimism this past season. Now, hardly anyone thinks that the football team possibly could do any worse than maybe 8-4 next season and plenty of people believe that doing better than that is very possible.

Given the example of the wonderful season we just had in football and the optimism for the future in that sport, why would anyone want to settle for more of Pitino?

almost 65 years old. was aware of the Gopher hoops program in the mid-60's, but really started following it when Musselman took over and re-energized the program with the "Sweet Georgia Brown" warmup routine.

I would rank Dutcher as the best all-around coach in my time for having the best combination of coaching, recruiting, and avoiding NCAA violations.

Still mourn the "what-might-have-been" when Musselman was forced out and Olberding and Landsberger left the program.

Why do you think they're gonna give him another year? Relationship between him and Coyle?

Budget cuts in the department. Most media folks seem to think he is too that I've seen. Doogie seems to be doubling down (I know Doogie is a clown, but he has some contacts). I don't think Pitino would be arrogant enough to say the stuff he's saying out in public about his job as well. He's never been one to really lie.

Budget cuts in the department. Most media folks seem to think he is too that I've seen. Doogie seems to be doubling down (I know Doogie is a clown, but he has some contacts). I don't think Pitino would be arrogant enough to say the stuff he's saying out in public about his job as well. He's never been one to really lie.
Budget cuts. Hmm.

AD has quite a situation. Budget cuts, declining attendance, a high revenue sport that is, at best, flailing, coach of said sport that has been given 7 seasons.

Leadership is needed, ad. Leadership isn't always popular, ad. What cha got?

What. specifically, has RP said in public that you would view as arrogant?

Budget cuts. Hmm.

AD has quite a situation. Budget cuts, declining attendance, a high revenue sport that is, at best, flailing, coach of said sport that has been given 7 seasons.

He also has a board of regents and others he needs to get approval from. It's not all Coyle's decision. He can make a recommendation and they can say they want to wait one year. He can tell them it would end up costing them more in poor ticket sales and everything else and they may want to wait.

I'm on record of being ready to move on now, but those are decisions that are way above me.

Budget cuts. Hmm.

He just said he didn't feel his job was in jeopardy. I think it'd be arrogant to answer that as a no if he felt it was. There are sidestepping answers that everyone else gives. He said he doesn't believe it's reality just this week. Otherwise I don't think he says stuff that's arrogant. He's pretty straight forward which is one of the things I like about him.

They are going to be bad next year, other than Carr they won't have much Big Ten quality talent, Ihnen is developing but I don't expect an Oturu type jump, probably a year off. They certainly aren't going to overachieve which is what they are going to badly need or have one of the freshman be an all big ten type stud from day one.

They will have two/three roster spots to fill this spring, thats not going to look pretty, my optimism is gone, it could really get ugly.

They are going to be bad next year, other than Carr they won't have much Big Ten quality talent, Ihnen is developing but I don't expect an Oturu type jump, probably a year off. They certainly aren't going to overachieve which is what they are going to badly need or have one of the freshman be an all big ten type stud from day one.

They will have two/three roster spots to fill this spring, thats not going to look pretty, my optimism is gone, it could really get ugly.

Posts like this are strange. So Gabe was a Big Ten-quality player his freshman year, but there is no chance he will work over the summer and find his confidence again? Williams is a freshman and has also looked good plenty at times this season. We all saw how much Daniel changed from freshman to sophomore year, yet if we follow your assumptions, nobody on the roster other than Ihnen will grow/improve/practice in the off-season.

Posts like this are strange. So Gabe was a Big Ten-quality player his freshman year, but there is no chance he will work over the summer and find his confidence again? Williams is a freshman and has also looked good plenty at times this season. We all saw how much Daniel changed from freshman to sophomore year, yet if we follow your assumptions, nobody on the roster other than Ihnen will grow/improve/practice in the off-season.

I follow a couple of local college teams. Last year, both teams, made up of mostly sophomores, had rough seasons. Men's team won a dozen games and just seemed lost sometimes. Womens team was headed to play-offs, then finished with 8 straight losses and played themselves out of the post-season by losing 4th quarter leads in some of the most frustrating and creative ways ever imagined. Fast forward to this season. Almost the exact same players on both teams, only they're juniors. The men's team is at 23 wins and a show-in for the NCAA Tournament. The womens team won 18 and was on the bubble for a tournament berth before losing in conference tournament. Same coaches, same players, complete turnarounds.

Not saying that this will happen with some of the Gophers players, but I would never discount that Carr, Kalshuers, Omersa, Williams, Willis and even Freeman aren't capable of a big jump next season.

One other thing that nobody has really mentioned. What are the odds that the current commits, scheduled to come into the program next season, will elect to de-commit with a coaching change. Concern or not that big of a concern because we feel a new coach will bring in different guys anyway?

Only the Gophers will improve. No other teams will grow/improve/practice in the offseason. The teams that beat the Gophers this year wont be able to beat them next year.

Minnesota, where all the children are above average

So I had another random thought. Let's say that while looking to hire a new coach, your top 4-5 choice say "Thanks, but no thanks". Let's say you happen to pick up another list, that included your top female coaches you'd call if Lindsey Whalen were to leave. What if there was a female coach you were pretty sold on, maybe would've been your choice had you not hired Whalen. Would the A.D. consider hiring a top-notch female coach for the mens program if you were getting down to the 8th and 9th choices of mens coaches?

He also has a board of regents and others he needs to get approval from. It's not all Coyle's decision. He can make a recommendation and they can say they want to wait one year. He can tell them it would end up costing them more in poor ticket sales and everything else and they may want to wait.

I'm on record of being ready to move on now, but those are decisions that are way above me.
This is a really good point. I would hope all who are in the decision discussion remember what happened to men‘s hockey when they waited so long to replace Coach Lucia. The arena was empty. They added beer to attract fans and very cheap ticket packages that included food. It helped in bringing in some fans but not even close to filling the arena. But I have to believe that it Is not motivating to the players to play in a very quiet arena nor helpful in recruiting. I thank the AD for bringing in Motzko but his job is tougher than it would have been had he come sooner. Not only had ticket sales hurt but also parking fees as we parked in 80% empty previously full parking lots for hockey.
On the other hand can Minnesota attract a high quality, accomplished basketball coach? We’ll have to wait to see.

Born in 79, but started watching during Clem years in 90's

Followed ever since because other MN teams weren't providing enough disappointment in my life

Only the Gophers will improve. No other teams will grow/improve/practice in the offseason. The teams that beat the Gophers this year wont be able to beat them next year.

Minnesota, where all the children are above average
and the world is always dark and gloomy.

Signed
USAF and others

Brutal. You're right about the way Pitino is going about things though. Seems like another loss is just another loss and all is good. "They're young." I was on board with him a year ago. A year like this changes a lot. Really exposed his in-game coaching or lack thereof. I do hear the media but man I'm just not with 'em. Unless they've tried to get guys and it just doesn't look like what they want/waiting for that guy after next year. That would just be throwing a season away though and I can't imagine doing that.

Last edited:

Fitch
Musselman
Hanson
Dutcher
Williams
Haskins
Monson
Molinari
Tubby
Pitino

One thing I remember from the Musselman and Dutcher years (and this is based on my memory, I haven't looked up any records), is how great the crowds were, and how difficult it was for the visiting teams to play here, even when we were having a lousy season. Those two would be my favorite coaches. Clem would be up there too, if not for the scandal. Also, as I remember it, Musselman's offenses were pretty minor compared to what's going on today.

Top Bottom