How is Oregon 13??

BigGopher69

Reaction score
How can Oregon be ranked 13 with two losses and their only ranked win vs an 8-4 USC. Minnesota has a better resume and dropped to 18 it makes no sense.

I think it's fluff by the committee. They want to give the championship games the highest billing possible. #5 Utah vs #13 Oregon sounds pretty good, for marketing.

The worst part is that if Utah beats Oregon and makes the playoff then Oregon still gets to play in the Rose Bowl? They will drop further, have a bad resume, and will still get to play in the Rose Bowl. Thanks to having your AD as the committee chair

Alabama isn't playing Minnesota. Sorry. We are view as the redheaded step child. Probably Tennessee.

The worst part is that if Utah beats Oregon and makes the playoff then Oregon still gets to play in the Rose Bowl? They will drop further, have a bad resume, and will still get to play in the Rose Bowl. Thanks to having your AD as the committee chair
They would get to anyway, regardless of that. The Rose bowl is contractually obligated to take a PAC team. Just like the Orange is contractually obligated to take an ACC team.

There aren't even any other PAC teams in the top 25. If Oregon loses, even if it is a terrible loss, they probably won't fall outside the top 25.

The ACC is the worse one. I'm not even sure that Virginia will stay in the top 25 when they lose to Clemson.

Alabama isn't playing Minnesota. Sorry. We are view as the redheaded step child. Probably Tennessee.

It's up to the bowl selection committee (Citrus, Outback) along with the conferences to determine opponents. Someone on here mentioned that the Citrus Bowl is interested in Minnesota. And they have priority over the Outback Bowl this year....since the two are on the same level as far as I know.

This hopeful talk of playing Alabama in a bowl game leads to one glaring question: "are you gluttons for punishment?"

I do not know why folks want to get hit by the angry elephant ...

I want to play the best team possible. Does Tua play? Would Auburn be an easier matchup?

Despite missing out on the BTC game and a Rose Bowl......those would both be MARQUEE games. Certainly better than the Orange Bowl with Virginia going as an ACC default and probably the Cotton Bowl as well depending on the G5 team. Memphis could fall to Cincinnati in the AAC championship game opening the door for Boise State.....but is Boise State even much of a draw any longer?

So I'd venture to say that after the CFP games, the Sugar Bowl, and the Rose Bowl.....the Gophers could certainly be playing in the fifth most intriguing (not necessarily fifth best) game of the entire bowl season.

“Everyone knows” SEC teams underachieve in bowl games because they are demotivated after missing out in the CFP. Bring on the Tide, the Dawgs, anyone. Let’s take a shot.

How can Oregon be ranked 13 with two losses and their only ranked win vs an 8-4 USC. Minnesota has a better resume and dropped to 18 it makes no sense.
They really, REALLY want to place a PAC12 or BigXII team in the CFP. Also why Baylor has jumped the last two polls as well. BigXII has the inside track. LSU will crush Georgia, leaving the #4 spot open.

If oklahoma has a more convincing win than utah this week, I see them jumping into the #4 slot, otherwise I think utah takes it (barring a loss).

I’m isn’t the Orange and Rose’s commitments only if no team from the conference makes the 4-team playoff?

They really, REALLY want to place a PAC12 or BigXII team in the CFP. Also why Baylor has jumped the last two polls as well. BigXII has the inside track. LSU will crush Georgia, leaving the #4 spot open.
I think this is exactly correct.

Assuming Georgia loses and Oklahoma wins, I think OU will get the #4 seed.

That would likely give the following NY6:
CFP - Ohio State #1 vs OU #4
CFP - LSU #2 vs Clemson #3
Rose - Penn St vs Utah/Oregon winner
Sugar - Georgia vs Baylor
Orange - Virginia vs Florida
Cotton - Wisconsin or Auburn vs Memphis/Cinci/Boise

I’m isn’t the Orange and Rose’s commitments only if no team from the conference makes the 4-team playoff?
This year is the worst in the cycle as far as access to NY6 bowls goes. All three of the contract bowls, Rose, Sugar, and Orange, are contractually obligated to take teams from P5 conferences, no matter where they're ranked.

Only the Cotton Bowl remains as an access bowl, for a top ranked "at large" team, and that team will play the G5 highest conf champion.

I would love to see Memphis boat race becky in the Cotton Bowl after the OSU beatdown in the CCG!!!

I would love to see Memphis boat race becky in the Cotton Bowl after the OSU beatdown in the CCG!!!
Hate the badgers as much as the next guy but I'm okay with them being competitive against OU and winning a bowl game, don't want our quality loss tarnished :)

Oregon
Sagarin 13 89.85
Sch Rank 44
Record 10-2

Minnesota
Sagarin 25 81.58
Sch Rank 59
Record 10-2

A higher Sagarin is a function of schedule, covering the spread, and wins. It would be very possible for MN to have a higher Sagarin than Oregon with a lower sch rank, but MN would need to be consistently winning & winning big vs. the spread. Mn’s first 4 games were pretty lethargic vs the spread, even though the gophers won.

Oregon fans probably sit silently during games like classy folk. That’s why the higher ranking.

Oregon
Sagarin 13 89.85
Sch Rank 44
Record 10-2

Minnesota
Sagarin 25 81.58
Sch Rank 59
Record 10-2

A higher Sagarin is a function of schedule, covering the spread, and wins. It would be very possible for MN to have a higher Sagarin than Oregon with a lower sch rank, but MN would need to be consistently winning & winning big vs. the spread. Mn’s first 4 games were pretty lethargic vs the spread, even though the gophers won.
Minnesota covered the spread quite comfortably in the 4th game, as we were underdogs and won by 7.

Top Bottom