How hot is Coach Brewster's Seat

husker70

Reaction score
Well he doesn't even make the top 10 there either. Certainly Charlie Wiess holds down number 1. in second place how about Ralph Friedgen, 3rd Rich Rod. 4th I like Dan Hawkins at Colorado. 5 Al Groh at Virginia. 6 moving up with a bullet Mangino at Kansas. Something to note 1, 2, and 6 are grossly overweight. 7 remember Steve Kraigthorp? 8 Coach Maklin at Hawaii that job will be open 9 Mike Sherman at Texas A.M. 10. Paul Wulff at Washington State. Dennis Erickson is recieving votes. Coach Brewster has not recieve any votes in this poll

Brew will survive. I think the powers that be will give him more time. I don't know if he deserves it, but maybe they'll figure out how to prepare the team to win next year.

I do think they will give Brewster one more year, but the leash will be very short. I would be suprised if Maturi fires Brewster this year. If we have Dungy waiting in the wings I'm all for it!

Pretty sure Dungy is a pipe dream. They may go in a different direction after next season, but if they do I doubt it'll be for the preacher.

The President said he'd like to have Dungy before they hired Brewster. I'd take Dungy in a heartbeat but it's not going to happen!

I just love how people have pissed and moaned about being "competitive" with our rivals...well i thought we were quite "competitive" with a team that has been established for quite sometime now! yes the offense was bad, really bad! no excuses there! but, it was not all because weber played poorly. the wr's didnt help weber and weber didnt help his recievers. oline was bad, especially during 3rd down, but, i will say, this oline has gotten a lot better throughout the year. some sacks were on the oline and some on weber. play calling was a little suspect at times(fullback dive on 4th and 1) but some plays were very nice calls that werent executed properly(bryant allen cutting off his route way early)!

for as badly as some want to say its all due to brew being unable to coach, well i think there are a lot of examples that say otherwise. lets keep our coordinators around and play a bowl game, and get ready for next season. im willing to bet we see a drasctic turnaround and i would be willing to put my money where my mouth is!

I just love how people have pissed and moaned about being "competitive" with our rivals...well i thought we were quite "competitive" with a team that has been established for quite sometime now! yes the offense was bad, really bad! no excuses there! but, it was not all because weber played poorly. the wr's didnt help weber and weber didnt help his recievers. oline was bad, especially during 3rd down, but, i will say, this oline has gotten a lot better throughout the year. some sacks were on the oline and some on weber. play calling was a little suspect at times(fullback dive on 4th and 1) but some plays were very nice calls that werent executed properly(bryant allen cutting off his route way early)!

for as badly as some want to say its all due to brew being unable to coach, well i think there are a lot of examples that say otherwise. lets keep our coordinators around and play a bowl game, and get ready for next season. im willing to bet we see a drasctic turnaround and i would be willing to put my money where my mouth is!

Very intelligent and level headed post. You don't read too many of those on this board.

I agree, I think they showed they can compete today. He will be around for two more years I would think. He's not going to be fired this year.

This is the order they will fall. brewster is not even in this game of goners

Hawkins at Colorado is a for sure gonner. This is a no brainer He goes first.
2.Notre Dame will nash there teeth, but Charlie Weiss is out after losing to CT today, they have to
because they would be hyprocrties for booting the previous coaches with those records.
Mangino might rival Hawkins as the worst coach in that conference, I'm almost positive Kansas is ready to roll him right out of town.
Hopefully he doesn't eat anyone before he leaves.
Ralp Friedgen will be out, to much talent way to much underachieving, he will roll fast also.

Al Groh is definately out at Virgina, if all things fall like they may It will be Colorado and Virgina fighting to fire coaches.
Gotta believe Kragthorpe is out a Louisville as he has sent them spiraling backward.
Mike Sherman at A&M is likely out the Aggies have a proud tradition and I doubt the Texacans
will tolerate his level of mediocrity much longer.
Rich Rod at Michigan has to be on the ultimate hot seat, back to back losing season's in Michigan with that type of talent, he should go for being to pig headed to try and tweak instead of the rapid change he tried to install. He will leave good team speed to there next coach as they are going to be a bich to deal with as quick as they will be.
I think Bill Lynch at Indiana is going to roll but he should not, he is actually somewhat of a decent coach. Gotta think Dantonio is feeling a little heat for MSU underachieving that teams talent should have contended for the titile.
I don't even think Brewster is in the ballpark with all of these guy's going out the door as he willl be given a chance to still prove that he can pull it together even as ticked as Gopher fans are at him, the guy should get a shot to pull this thing together. What all the guy's on the fire list have in common is better talent than the Gophers, with maybe the exception of Hawkins at Colorado. All the other guy's on this list will be out.
Ron Zook should be on this top ten list, no coach has done less with that much talent, they have way to much talent on that Illinois squad to play as bad as they have. Illinois should boot him.

No way A&M, Virginia, Louisville, and Maryland have more talent then us. Notre Dame and Michigan yes. Brew has one more year to provide some positive vibes to a disgusted fan base. If not, Maturi has no choice.

No way A&M, Virginia, Louisville, and Maryland have more talent then us. Notre Dame and Michigan yes. Brew has one more year to provide some positive vibes to a disgusted fan base. If not, Maturi has no choice.

A&M recruits better than we do.

With the O-line, QB, WR, and RB play this is a 2 win talent team

This is why I judge the Gophers to have less talent than Louisville, Maryland, Texas A&M, etc...
If anything with the play of the offense, outside of the MSU game this year you can not point to one game where the offense elevated there play or actually played well enough to win more games. To have a 6 win team with as poorly as the offense played dead last in all statistical categories in the conference. I would argue the Gophers actually played
like a 2 win talent wise(because of anemic offense) team that won six games. The schedule is tougher this year so they might have actually gotten better, at least the defense has. The offense struggled from the first game on so to get six wins with the front five being pourous and a QB that has been off to bad all year is atually surprising when looking at the body of work. Couple that with a back rotation that is not explosive and you have an offense that scores no points. They eeked out wins because of special teams play and the play of the defense this year. Hoepfully all of this recruiting acumen pays off next year.

Current rankings

1. Weiss
2. Friedgen
3. Wulff
4. Groh
5. Mangino
6. Kragthorth
7. Malklin
8. Sherman
9. Rich Rod
10. Erickson

I echo your thoughts....another year with the coordinators, a little continuity for Weber, Gray, etc, and more talent and the doubters on here will be VERY surprised next year. Yes, I am an optimist but I aslo believe this...

Rumors don't help recruiting

The notion that Dungy would coach the Gophers is likely a pipe dream and every indication is that Brew will definitely coach his fourth, and probably his fifth year - barring a catastrophe. He needs a juco QB and a juco running back and that should be doable. Defense has improved, kicking game has improved, but offense has regressed (114th of 120 in Div 1A). He needs two really good players to turn things around - and any new coach needs a minimum of four years to do that, and five is better.

The notion that Dungy would coach the Gophers is likely a pipe dream and every indication is that Brew will definitely coach his fourth, and probably his fifth year - barring a catastrophe. He needs a juco QB and a juco running back and that should be doable. Defense has improved, kicking game has improved, but offense has regressed (114th of 120 in Div 1A). He needs two really good players to turn things around - and any new coach needs a minimum of four years to do that, and five is better.

I agree there GreatPlains. What Maturi should be doing right now if he isn't going to change
coaches right now is to come out with a statement to dispel any rumors. I am starting
to wonder if there isn't something going behind the scenes. It wouldn't surprise me a bit
if Maturi wasn't talking to some people to see if he could land a big fish.

I think Brewster will be back for a fourth year (probably 99.9 per cent chance) but I
think a 5th year is really up in the air depending on how the team does next year. Brewster
needs to show the team is headed in the right direction and another #114 offensive
showing next year probably costs him his job.

I truly believe that Mike Grant from Eden Prairie High School will be the next Notre Dame Coach.

Gold Rush, I think you are right about next year and about Maturi being a little cagey. Next year is crucial for Brew, no doubt about it.

Today's loss to Missouri certainly won't help Mangino retain his job.

He's okay for this offseason I think, but if we only win 6 or 7 games next year and don't beat any of our rivals again, his seat will be more like this:
chair00015.jpg

Today's loss to Missouri certainly won't help Mangino retain his job.

Coaching at a major university is not an easy thing to do. It was only two years ago
that Mangino won the Head football coach of the year award. Just two years later,
they are talking earnestly about firing him. My thoughts are that if you have a coach that
has proven something, you have to cut him a little slack if things go South a bit. Don
Lucia would certainly fall in that category. Tubby Smith would also fall in that
category. I would think that Mangino would fall in that category too, but that program
is in major turmoil right now and he is in big trouble. When you have as much turmoil
as they have, all bets are off.

My thoughts are that if you have a coach that
has proven something, you have to cut him a little slack if things go South a bit. Don
Lucia would certainly fall in that category.

While this is not the hockey board, I have to tell you there is quite a bit of angst in the Athletic Dept over the huge hit in attendance at hockey games. The DON needs to step up and salvage this season pronto.

While this is not the hockey board, I have to tell you there is quite a bit of angst in the Athletic Dept over the huge hit in attendance at hockey games. The DON needs to step up and salvage this season pronto.

I would agree. I think fans have cut Lucia a lot of slack over the last couple years which
have been frustrating. The rumblings are starting to get a little bit louder over this
season. I don't think his job is on the line quite yet, but for the first time I think people are
starting to have some doubts on whether they want Lucia as the coach around here.

Update

Current rankings

1. Weiss
2. Friedgen
3. Wulff Says he has the admin backing after 3 wins in the past 3 years
4. Groh - Gone
5. Mangino
6. Kragthorth -Gone
7. Malklin
8. Sherman
9. Rich Rod
10. Erickson

Coaching at a major university is not an easy thing to do.

That's why their paychecks have more zeros in them than yours or mine. The hotseat thang also comes with the territory. That said, I agree with your earlier post that unless Maturi does have something going on behind the scenes (which I hope he does), he should come out with a statement publically supporting Brewster and saying he will be back in 2010. It also should be spelled out between Brewster and Maturi what TB needs to do to keep his job or get an extension (which are pretty much the same thing at this point). I took a stab at that in my "job appraisal" post.

Current rankings

1. Friedgen
2. Mangino
3. Wulff Says he has the admin backing after 3 wins in the past 3 years
4. Malklin
5. Sherman
6. Rich Rod
7. Erickson

Orginal Top Ten
1. Weiss -gone
4. Groh - Gone
6. Kragthorth -Gone

Great teams are usually followed but not always, by subpar/poor seasons. This is because it usually takes experience and talent to win at a high level. That usually means that for a two year period there hasn't been very much playing time for underclassmen. The following result is a hangover whereby you field an inexperienced team with unproven players. The good news is that great teams generally also generate a good recruiting year or two and so the hangover doesn't last. So for Mangino you'd have to look and see if indeed this happened, and what the future looks like for his team.

Everytime I see Mangino I want to poke him with a hot pin to see if he explodes like a wood tick. Seriously, he looks like a wood tick that spent 4 weeks on the family dog. Big body with those little legs and arms sticking out.

Down goes Mangino

Its going to be a top 5 soon.

1. Friedgen
2. Wulff Says he has the admin backing after 3 wins in the past 3 years
3. Malklin
4. Sherman
5. Rich Rod
6. Erickson

Orginal Top Ten
1. Weiss -gone
4. Groh - Gone
6. Kragthorth -Gone