There are also other borderline candidates:

Ohnstad
Jacob Thomas
Cody Schilling
Woodard
Travis Busch
Brandon Smith
J. Cobbs

And there are probably several others who I'm forgetting.

This is easily one of the stupidest things anyone has ever said on GopherHole. Offense intended.

This might be just as asinine as the post lakes made.

You really tried to make a list of good guards from Minnesota and included Travis Busch and Brandon Smith???

Lose all credibility with those names.

How do you figure?

For one the entire borderline list, borders on ridiculous. You would have been better off just deleting that but for now I'll try and act like I didn't see it. I'll take Woodside over most of the point guards you listed and the two guards(there it gets hard to compare, especially in regards to Grier). I am basing most of this off college, if you are factoring in high school it could be different. Woodside is also playing in Europe's highest pro league if you want to factor in pro ball.

Woodside was very good by the time he was senior, Bill Self said he was the best guard his team had played all season. A lot of people have consistently underrated Woodside throughout his career, honestly lakes might have somewhat of a point here.

You really tried to make a list of good guards from Minnesota and included Travis Busch and Brandon Smith???

Lose all credibility with those names.

How do you figure? When he said "from Minnesota", he clearly was talking about HS productivity (since Woodside's Minnesota experience was in HS), and in HS, both of those players were far better than Woodside ever dreamt of being. In addition, they both played for a BCS conference school, something Woodside never did. Note also how I put them in the "borderline" category, meaning they were not necessarily better than Woodside, and that different evaluations could place them differently.

Lose all credibility with your lack of reading and understanding.

For one the entire borderline list, borders on ridiculous. You would have been better off just deleting that but for now I'll try and act like I didn't see it. I'll take Woodside over most of the point guards you listed and the two guards(there it gets hard to compare, especially in regards to Grier). I am basing most of this off college, if you are factoring in high school it could be different. Woodside is also playing in Europe's highest pro league if you want to factor in pro ball.

Woodside was very good by the time he was senior, Bill Self said he was the best guard his team had played all season. A lot of people have consistently underrated Woodside throughout his career, honestly lakes might have somewhat of a point here.

You do understand what the term "borderline" means, correct? Just checking. I'm not sure how well they teach elementary vocab at NDAC.

You may quibble with a handful of the top list, but the overwhelming majority of those players are, again, leagues better than Woodside ever dreamt of being. Including Woodside in a conversation with El-Amin, Hoffarber, Nolen, J. Taylor, Grier, Westbrook, D. Joseph? Give me a break. Further, even one of those, let alone over a dozen, invalidates his post. Better luck next time.

How do you figure? When he said "from Minnesota", he clearly was talking about HS productivity (since Woodside's Minnesota experience was in HS), and in HS, both of those players were far better than Woodside ever dreamt of being. In addition, they both played for a BCS conference school, something Woodside never did. Note also how I put them in the "borderline" category, meaning they were not necessarily better than Woodside, and that different evaluations could place them differently.

Lose all credibility with your lack of reading and understanding.

You do understand what the term "borderline" means, correct? Just checking. I'm not sure how well they teach elementary vocab at NDAC.

You may quibble with a handful of the top list, but the overwhelming majority of those players are, again, leagues better than Woodside ever dreamt of being. Including Woodside in a conversation with El-Amin, Hoffarber, Nolen, J. Taylor, Grier, Westbrook, D. Joseph? Give me a break. Further, even one of those, let alone over a dozen, invalidates his post. Better luck next time.

Woodside is better than both Nolen and Hoff, Nolen isn't close. I'd consider Nolen borderline, not the players you listed that aren't even in the same league as Woodside(I mean seriously, Travis Busch???). All I said was lakes had somewhat of a point, I didn't say he was right.

How do you figure? When he said "from Minnesota", he clearly was talking about HS productivity (since Woodside's Minnesota experience was in HS), and in HS, both of those players were far better than Woodside ever dreamt of being.

I appreciate the majority of your posts because you keep things pretty factual. That being said, to say that Busch and Smith were on a HS level that Woodside could not dream is quite a stretch in my opinion. The guy was 1st team All-State and dominated everyone he played. It was 3A so he wasn't putting monster numbers up against Hills-Beaver Creek.

In your opinion, what would have Ben Woodside had to do (quantifiable - sans transferring to a metro school) to put himself in this hallowed ground with Travis Busch and Brandon Smith?

woodside just signed to play in Europes highest rated pro league how many mn. guards in the last 15 years have exceeded that level of Pro Hoops

Why everytime someone sees a good shooter, they say "oh he's like Blake!" People don't realize how good and highly rated Blake really was.

Nate Wolters, Isiah Zierden, etc. are not even close to Blake Hoffarber.

Blake had an automatic jump shot, an extremely quick release, a step back jump shot, etc. His talent was recognized by TWO BCS schools outside of MN. You can't tell me that Wolters, Zierden, etc. are the same as Blake yet managed to trick schools into thinking they suck or Blake tricked schools into thinking he was good. Everyone says, "How come Tubby doesn't get shooters like Blake???" Well, the answer is because Blake has very few shooters like him.

Minnesota fans have started thinking Blake is just another white guy who can shoot and is the same player as any other white guy who can shoot and that is 110% false.

People say Wolters didn't get a MN offer because he was not athletic enough, but sure is talented enough. So why no Wisconsin offer? The unathletic, MN college to the east?

That just sounds funny. TWO SCHOOLS...NO WAY!!! I get what you're saying though. Blake Hoffarber was a unique player for the Gophers and one of my favorite of all time. He had a silky-smooth jumper, decent size and a "high basketball IQ." He wasn't very well-rounded -- lacking athleticism and jumping ability -- but he was one of those players the opposition could not ignore. He had to be game-planned against. Outside of Trevor Mbakwe, this year's team doesn't exactly have that type of player at this stag. At some point, though, I honestly believe Andre Hollins, Mo Walker and Oto could become honorable mention all-league players. Austin Hollins could be an all-defensive team pick someday too. Lots of potential on this team (but no Hoffarber) .

As for how good Wolters is -- I think he would start on the Gophers. Look at Craft from Ohio State. He would certainly start for Minnesota and he's similar to Wolters (no, but just becasue they're both white). Wolters isn't as good on defense and doesn't see the floor as well, but he is a couple inches taller and a better scorer than Craft. They both have similar athleticism and strength. Tubby didn't miss on Wolters either. Since graduating from St. Cloud Tech, he's developed at a rapid rate that couldn't have been predicted.

BigGopherFan said:
That just sounds funny. TWO SCHOOLS...NO WAY!!! I get what you're saying though. Blake Hoffarber was a unique player for the Gophers and one of my favorite of all time. He had a silky-smooth jumper, decent size and a "high basketball IQ." He wasn't very well-rounded -- lacking athleticism and jumping ability -- but he was one of those players the opposition could not ignore. He had to be game-planned against. Outside of Trevor Mbakwe, this year's team doesn't exactly have that type of player at this stag. At some point, though, I honestly believe Andre Hollins, Mo Walker and Oto could become honorable mention all-league players. Austin Hollins could be an all-defensive team pick someday too. Lots of potential on this team (but no Hoffarber) .

As for how good Wolters is -- I think he would start on the Gophers. Look at Craft from Ohio State. He would certainly start for Minnesota and he's similar to Wolters (no, but just becasue they're both white). Wolters isn't as good on defense and doesn't see the floor as well, but he is a couple inches taller and a better scorer than Craft. They both have similar athleticism and strength. Tubby didn't miss on Wolters either. Since graduating from St. Cloud Tech, he's developed at a rapid rate that couldn't have been predicted.

I disagree on Craft being like Wolters and I'm not sure he starts for the Gophers. But overall, very good post!

That just sounds funny. TWO SCHOOLS...NO WAY!!!

This is just incorrect.

It sounded like he was only seriously considering 2 other BCS schools. Although, when we were recruiting him he also had offers from Notre Dame, Vanderbilt, Louisville, Virginia Tech, Washington State, Cincinnati, etc. He had offers from at least one school in every BCS conference...so I'd have to agree with scher.

Hoffarber was recognized by far more than two schools.

"At the two, Vandy again had to weather a series of recruiting setbacks this fall. Stallings had thought he'd found gold when he discovered 6-foot-2 guard Blake Hoffarber during the summer circuit. Hoffarber was a total unknown when VU first found him, but that didn't last long.

The hot-shooting Minnesotan became one of the hottest names of the summer, eventually garnering offers from more than 20 major programs. Though VU got an official from Hoffarber, he eventually made a commitment to the hometown Gophers."

"For Hoffarber, it's been an unforgettable ride. He was a virtual unknown at the beginning of the spring AAU circuit, but by the end of the summer, he was one of the most heavily recruited players in the class of 2007.

Prior to trimming his list of schools to three, Hofffarber had solid scholarship offers from Cincinnati, Louisville, Nebraska, Oregon, Rutgers, Virginia Tech, Washington State, Arkansas-Little Rock, Bucknell, Furman, Loyola-Chicago, Northern Iowa, Rice, San Francisco, Santa Clara, William & Mary, Wisconsin-Green Bay, Albany, Delaware and Montana. "

http://minnesota.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=601182
http://minnesota.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=585347

Top Bottom