How good is Wolters

Sharpshooter

Reaction score
This question was addressed a little last week as it related to Schilling's Augustana squad playing the Gophers. I heard a couple people refer to Wolters possibly being a 6-7th player on our team. Does this seem accurate? I saw him in high school a few times and he was obviously very good. I expect him to put up nice nuumbers tonight due to the fact that it looks like the their offense runs through him and he isn't afraid to shoot. Any thoughts on whether Tubby missed on Nate or would he have not made much of a difference at the Big 10 level?

Could/would Wolters have gotten any playing time with Hopkins in '09?

He would have gotten some serious PT at Hopkins in '09. He is equal to, or maybe even better than, DJ Peterson -- the Royals' 6th man that season.

As for right now, he could come off the bench for the Gophers and maybe even play up to 20 mins a game.

Could/would Wolters have gotten any playing time with Hopkins in '09?

Wolters would've started for Hopkins. He was absolutely a better player then Marcus Williams who was their starting PG. The reason why Wolters was a miss by the U and many other D1 schools is because he played for a mom and pop AAU program. When you are as talented as Wolters is/was you can put your future in a program that doesn't have the history of sending players D1. If he had played for Pulley, Magic, Net Gain, or 43 Hoops going into his senior year he would've had mulitple D1 offers. I could be wrong but I think he didn't have a D1 offer until mid-way through his senior year and his final list came down to SDSU, NDSU, and St. Coud State. So you can't blame Tubby for not recruiting him in this case. But Wolters can definitly play at a high level.

Hmm, I would have to respectfully disagree with your statement that Wolters is/was better than Marcus Williams. The two are opposite players, thus making it hard to compare.

But...

Williams was a prototype PG who was the PERFECT fit for that team. Not only did he never turn the ball over, but he was also adept at running that particular team's fast break offense (he is/was a speed demon; may play in the NFL someday) and was the squad's best perimeter defender. Most importantly, though, he never looked for his own shot. He was the only "non-scorer" on that team. With Wolters (hypothetically) in the starting five, there simply wouldn't have been enough shots to go around. I remember several players from the 09 Hopkins team going as far as to call Williams the team's MVP. He could have played Division I basketball but football is his passion.

Nate Wolters would have started for Hopkins and would be a prefect starting PG for the Gophers right now. He is an all around stud that distributes, defends and shoots it well enough. Comparing him to Marcus Williams is a shame but thats what happens when an out of stater is compared to a city player... If yall remember correctly Tech was in that state championship game at half. He could struggle with Hollins quickness tonight but I expect solid numbers. Welch is a perfect guy to guard him though with his big body and defensive savy.

GO GOPHS

Wolters would have started for Hopkins and would start for the Gophers today. He's really good.

Nate Wolters would have started for Hopkins and would be a prefect starting PG for the Gophers right now. He is an all around stud that distributes, defends and shoots it well enough. Comparing him to Marcus Williams is a shame but thats what happens when an out of stater is compared to a city player... If yall remember correctly Tech was in that state championship game at half. He could struggle with Hollins quickness tonight but I expect solid numbers. Welch is a perfect guy to guard him though with his big body and defensive savy.

GO GOPHS

Tech actually wasn't really in that game at half, it just looked like it. They decided to try and completely take the air out of the ball and pass around the perimeter for a couple minutes before shooting, making it look competitive when it really wasn't. In the second half, Hopkins kicked things into high gear and destroyed Tech in the end. HERE is an article from that particular game for proof. And by the way, Tech didn't play Hopkins in the state championship, it was the semi-finals.

Anyway, about Wolters. I'm not saying he's a bad player, because I actually think he's a very, very good player. It's impossible (and meaningless) to compare him to Marcus Williams. As I said, Williams was the perfect fit for that Hopkins team and isn't the same type of point guard. I remember talking to Marcus as a senior and he said college basketball teams backed off on offering scholarships because they knew he wanted to play football. However, as the season went along, teams from major conferences (Nebraska, Penn State) started calling and he earned some scholarships for basketball. Marcus Williams is a flat out a better athlete than Wolters, you cannot argue that. Period. Nate Wolters would have been the 6th man and had a great season if he played for Hopkins in '09, but he would not have started in my opinion.

Down one with 14 minutes left is "in the game" fact of the matter is Nate Wolters isnt a bad athlete at all and Marcus isnt as good of an athlete as you dream about, if he was he would have been a high major CB. Saying a guy that averages 19 6 and 4 in D1 basketball wouldnt start over a guy thats not playing D1 basketball is pretty asinine.

He's so good, he makes good people look not good.

I'm sure he's a really solid player, but if we was good enough to start for us don't you think he'd be here? I mean, he's not at SDSU because he wants to be. If the Gophers (or any other big conference school) asked him to transfer, I'd have to believe he would. So, either he's not talented enough to run with the big boys consistently or Tubby has failed in his job to bring in talent. I don't know enough about him to confidently say either way.

I'm sure he's a really solid player, but if we was good enough to start for us don't you think he'd be here? I mean, he's not at SDSU because he wants to be. If the Gophers (or any other big conference school) asked him to transfer, I'd have to believe he would. So, either he's not talented enough to run with the big boys consistently or Tubby has failed in his job to bring in talent. I don't know enough about him to confidently say either way.
Isn't it considered dirty to ask a player to transfer? I don't really want that image on our team.

Not sure I agree with the logic on that one. If Wolters is talented enough to play for the Gophers (which I believe he is) that doesn't mean he would automatically transfer here. Tubby didn't recruit him. Players like to be where they are wanted and a lot of them like to stay loyal to the team that believed in them from the beginning. I'd hope we can all agree that Ben Woodside easily could have played for the Gophers, but he never transferred either.

dennis rodman from se oklahoma st one example of small college players good enough to kick but at a big school

Down one with 14 minutes left is "in the game" fact of the matter is Nate Wolters isnt a bad athlete at all and Marcus isnt as good of an athlete as you dream about, if he was he would have been a high major CB. Saying a guy that averages 19 6 and 4 in D1 basketball wouldnt start over a guy thats not playing D1 basketball is pretty asinine.

Reality is in the middle somewhere. Wolters is better than DJ Peterson and would have been a great player for Hopkins. Williams is a better overall athlete and Wolters is a better basketball player. That's just how it is. FOR THAT TEAM, Williams was perfect and would have started over Wolters. This has been a fun debate, but like any other discussion on Gopherhole, let's quit before it gets ugly (not from you or me, but there are some cruel people on here who like to spit insults for no reason).

We will see how good they are when THE MONEY IS ON THE LINE after recreational college ball is over. Wolters will make more $$ than NOVAKS recruits

Is he better than DJ Peterson?

Is this a serious question? Come on.

Very obvious who the best player is.........

....Wolters and its not even close.

Bayfieldgopher said:
....Wolters and its not even close.

It's not that obvious or even true. He shoots a ton and turns the ball over.

Gold Vision said:
It's not that obvious or even true. He shoots a ton and turns the ball over.

Plus he can only go right and stinks at defense.

my observation not being a huge gopher fan but watched the game tonight. The Wolters kid is pretty good. He's a shooting guard in my opinion though. He plays with great effort.The jacks did a good job of screening for him and he took 22 of their 52 shots and was 8-22 so it's not like he lit the world on fire.

2 ways the gophers could have shut him down completely. Leave Austin Hollins on him all night, I don't think he scored on Austin who only played 18 minutes. Put Rodney on him and he doesn't get a shot off. I remember Michigan put Chris Webber on Travis Ford in the 94 final 4. Similar type player who was a much better shooter but it goes without saying that he locked down travis ford and we lost. Anyway, You guys have a lot of good athletes and once they figure out what's going, since you have so many new guys you'll be a tough out any night.

Someone has to score points on even bad teams. Wolters is that kid for SDSU. Great for his level of play. Not so great beyond that. Chip ripped him on D twice in a row, he couldn't handle our press, and he made Mav look like the second coming of Eric Harris.

Top Bottom