How does this class finish up?

I have to think that the portal changes - to some extent - how HS kids are being recruited.

Kids today have access to all the information, so they know what's going on.

they see HS recruits getting bumped down the depth chart by portal transfers.

so, if I'm a HS player getting recruited by School X, I'm going to flat-out ask the coach if he's going after any portal transfers at my position.

let's face it. if a HS player is not a 5* or high-4* phenom who is going to have an immediate impact, then he runs the risk of getting caught in the undertow of roster churn.
Kids are smart and figure it out on their own for the most part. They know where they stand on depth chart and pecking order. They may also realize that they aren't going to cut it at this level. I think the portal has led to more kids giving up college football and moving on with their careers or schooling. Lots of kids are willing to walk away from scholarships these days. Coaches may also be more likely to encourage kids to transfer than in the past.

As to your last line, there are only so many 5* and 4*. Literally 1-2 per D1 team each year. HS kids are still going to be recruited at a large rate. There are just many more avenues to go through a college football career. Many opportunities. Some will be willing to sit for 2-3 years before playing, some won't.

I just don't see a ton of kids getting pushed down the depth chart. The portal kids have to pan out as well. Many will be in a new environment, culture, with new voices and coaches. They still have to earn it. In a roundabout way the portal is helping assure that teams can fill upper class holes, that occur naturally, through attrition. It should lead to fewer 1-2 year players having to be on the field.

I have to think that the portal changes - to some extent - how HS kids are being recruited.

Kids today have access to all the information, so they know what's going on.

they see HS recruits getting bumped down the depth chart by portal transfers.

so, if I'm a HS player getting recruited by School X, I'm going to flat-out ask the coach if he's going after any portal transfers at my position.

let's face it. if a HS player is not a 5* or high-4* phenom who is going to have an immediate impact, then he runs the risk of getting caught in the undertow of roster churn.

Simple math would suggest that there are fewer scholarships available at Power 5 schools for HS recruits due to transfers up of high performing G5 and FCS players, but more opportunities at the lower levels. I wonder if the numbers bear this out.

Think about this one -- even though Ibrahim had a good year and I am glad we had him, we would be in a lot better shape if he had left and we had Irving and Thomas the next few years!!
We also have three talented backs at our disposal next year.
The could’ve and should’ve will kill you.

Here’s who I’d like to finish up with:
WR—Smith & Spencer
OL—Daniels
DL—Durfree
LB—Newsom
DB—Henderson

Here’s who I’d like to finish up with:
WR—Smith & Spencer
OL—Daniels
DL—Durfree
LB—Newsom
DB—Henderson

Durfree is out unfortunately. Not visiting this weekend. Don't be surprised when he commits to Washington soon.

I'd prefer Lanier or McWilliams over Smith, but agree on the rest.

Durfree is out unfortunately. Not visiting this weekend. Don't be surprised when he commits to Washington soon.

I'd prefer Lanier or McWilliams over Smith, but agree on the rest.
You were exactly right about Durfree. Do you think they might take 3 more wr since they have so many that visited or are visiting this weekend?

Top Bottom