How does this class finish up?

THE Chitown Gopher

Reaction score
Based on observations they want to add LB, WR, DBand DE. I would be be thrilled to add:

Moss
Daniels
Newsome
Durfree

Hopefully get all, but realistically see us getting 2 of them. OL is not a need but Daniels would give us a very solid OL class (he is a C right?)

What/who am I missing?

I used to really enjoy tracking recruiting and who we might land. Transfer portal has really diminished that for me. Not sure it matters who we land, see Bucky Irving, Flip Dixon, Steven Ortiz, etc…. I’m actually more interested in what upperclass transfers we bring in.

I used to really enjoy tracking recruiting and who we might land. Transfer portal has really diminished that for me. Not sure it matters who we land, see Bucky Irving, Flip Dixon, Steven Ortiz, etc…. I’m actually more interested in what upperclass transfers we bring in.
Bucky was a big blow. Gotta think him and Ky jumped ship when they heard Mo was on his way back and they didn’t want to take a backseat again.

I still like knowing what young people we bring in, though agree it is really disappointing to see young kids go right back out the door before they gave it a fair chance.

All that matters at the end of the day, is what our roster is going to look like for the next fall and who is going to contribute at each position.

Bucky was a big blow. Gotta think him and Ky jumped ship when they heard Mo was on his way back and they didn’t want to take a backseat again.
Think about this one -- even though Ibrahim had a good year and I am glad we had him, we would be in a lot better shape if he had left and we had Irving and Thomas the next few years!!

Think about this one -- even though Ibrahim had a good year and I am glad we had him, we would be in a lot better shape if he had left and we had Irving and Thomas the next few years!!
IMO it is hard to predict some of that, but maybe.

It also doesn’t mean they don’t leave for other reasons.

100% - I am more interested in who is staying vs. who is coming in.

I don’t soak in all of the quotes, press conferences etc etc.. so that’s my first time hearing that lol
PJ says A LOT at press conferences.

But I don’t blame anyone for not listening to them all. I do at work while coding so that makes it easy.

Hopefully with a couple more of these kids
For that matter, I caught a little bit of the NJCAA Div 1 football championship last night between Iowa Western (across the river from Omaha) and Hutch in Kansas.

Was wondering if we do any JUCO recruiting? With all the portal focus very recently, wonder if JUCO's have gotten lost in the shuffle a bit?

Was wondering if we do any JUCO recruiting? With all the portal focus very recently, wonder if JUCO's have gotten lost in the shuffle a bit?

I'm sure JUCO players have been a casualty of the new transfer portal rules. Fleck hasn't done a lot of JUCO recruiting and the results haven't been all that promising. Kill/Claeys seemed to do it more often and with better results but, of course, their tenures were pre-portal.

Ky Thomas sucked for Kansas though, Potts was better than him last year before he almost died in West Lafayette but losing Bucky sucked, he definitely would have been 1B) to Mo's 1A) with what he brings to the table

For that matter, I caught a little bit of the NJCAA Div 1 football championship last night between Iowa Western (across the river from Omaha) and Hutch in Kansas.

I could have sworn I've seen at least one JUCO offer Tweeted here. That said, I get the sense Fleck & Co. place a high priority on academics. Many JUCO players with Power 5 talent are there because they didn't qualify to a 4-year school academically and might not be a good fit here. Just speculating.

Interesting update on 24/7 about Newsome-

Iowa now ‘cold’

MN, KState and KY ‘’Warm”

I figured Iowa was the favorite, not feel it is between us and KState.

I don’t think that is what happened though. They chose awful destinations if that was their reasoning. Irving got paid, he still split the workload. Ky got buried.
I think there are many reasons for any given transfer.

But the first was Mo coming back.

Possibly, but I am being optimistic and looking forward to the Zach Evans era.

It's really hard to predict how everything plays out.

Maybe Taylor doesn't commit if he is buried on the depth chart behind Ky and Bucky.

Maybe we don't beat WI without Mo (and winning football games now should matter as much/more than winning football games in 2 years).

I don’t think that is what happened though. They chose awful destinations if that was their reasoning. Irving got paid, he still split the workload. Ky got buried.

Interesting that Irving had fewer carries than transfer teammate Whittington the last three games or so. Both of Oregon's top RBs were transfers.

I have to think that the portal changes - to some extent - how HS kids are being recruited.

Kids today have access to all the information, so they know what's going on.

they see HS recruits getting bumped down the depth chart by portal transfers.

so, if I'm a HS player getting recruited by School X, I'm going to flat-out ask the coach if he's going after any portal transfers at my position.

let's face it. if a HS player is not a 5* or high-4* phenom who is going to have an immediate impact, then he runs the risk of getting caught in the undertow of roster churn.

I have to think that the portal changes - to some extent - how HS kids are being recruited.

Kids today have access to all the information, so they know what's going on.

they see HS recruits getting bumped down the depth chart by portal transfers.

so, if I'm a HS player getting recruited by School X, I'm going to flat-out ask the coach if he's going after any portal transfers at my position.

let's face it. if a HS player is not a 5* or high-4* phenom who is going to have an immediate impact, then he runs the risk of getting caught in the undertow of roster churn.
So you ask a coach. He says “no, you’re our guy” so you commit. Few weeks after signing day they are recruiting the next years group of HSers, the next group of portal kids. Every single coach in the country is trying to replace their guys with better guys. Hard to find a school not recruiting your position.

Top Bottom