How do we get 2 more wins?

Has anyone else been watching the Big Ten in September? There are plenty of winnable games the rest of the way. When you are in year 2 of a rebuilding project there are going to be bumps in the road. This team is going to win some games they aren't supposed to win and they will lose some games they shouldn't. Heck...NW barely eeeked out a win @Syracuse and gave up over 40 points. This is the same Syracuse team that we held to 3 points for the first 59 minutes of the game. C'mon guys, the sky isn't falling. We have a great shot against NW. Take it one week at a time and enjoy the best time of the year...COLLEGE FOOTBALL SEASON.

Here is the average AP/USA Today & Sagarin rankings for the remainder of our opponents:

Northwestern: 28
@ wisconsin: 34
Purdue: 36
Michigan: 33
@ Illinois: 93
@ Nebraska: 21
Michigan State: 29

Sagarin currently ranks us at #69.

Based on these rankings & home field advantage, the only game we should win is Illinois. My guess is that we'll pull off an additional home upset against Northwestern, Purdue or Michigan State for a 6-6 record and a trip to the Little Ceasars Pizza Bowl. I think this outcome would be a good stepping stone into 2013.

We played 1 poor game and now people don't think we can go 2-5 from here on out. The Iowa game was disappointing, but it was just 1 game. A young team on the road, slow start, and dug themselves an early hole. We will learn from the Iowa game and will be better for it.

If my memory serves me, the majority of GH-er's thought 5 or 6 W's would be good for this squad. There likely will be more poor games ahead.

A bowl game would equate to a good season.

It is funny how quickly it went from "we could win 8 games" to "we'll be lucky to win 6".

Board has always somewhat bipolar, but I think a lot of people over-reacting because of the way the Gophers were so dominated in the first half. They weren't ready, Iowa was, and it was hard to watch. I'm encouraged by the second half, but who knows how much of it was due to Iowa relaxing. Northwestern will tell a lot, and I think we're going to win. The players are ready to listen now and two weeks to heal and prepare are going to be huge factors.

It is funny how quickly it went from "we could win 8 games" to "we'll be lucky to win 6".

In August, I predicted we would win 3 or 4 nonconference games and 1 or 2 conference games. Given the team's 2011 showing and 2012 youth, I considered this (and still do) to be a modest improvement that could help pave the way for bigger and better things in 2013 and 14. I will be very happy if the Gophers win 2 nonconference games and get the benefits of an additional 15 practices during bowl season.

We have 7 games left. Let's not worry about how many wins we may or may not get in that time. If the Gophers play like they are capable of playing they will get to a bowl game. Northwestern is next.

The gopher football team has to focus on Northwestern. The fans don't.

We played 1 poor game and now people don't think we can go 2-5 from here on out. The Iowa game was disappointing, but it was just 1 game. A young team on the road, slow start, and dug themselves an early hole. We will learn from the Iowa game and will be better for it.
I'd say we played one very poor half. Otherwise, +1.

Board has always somewhat bipolar, but I think a lot of people over-reacting because of the way the Gophers were so dominated in the first half. They weren't ready, Iowa was, and it was hard to watch. I'm encouraged by the second half, but who knows how much of it was due to Iowa relaxing. Northwestern will tell a lot, and I think we're going to win. The players are ready to listen now and two weeks to heal and prepare are going to be huge factors.

Do you think? I have always wondered if football blogs attract a higher percentage of bipolar people. Certainly many posters here probably meet the criteria. What we all need to understand is that football is a game of emotions. The teams that learns to control and focus their emotions by neither getting too high or too low are going to be more successful in the long run.

I really haven't seen a great deal of discussion on this topic here but it is a critical factor in the game. Coach Kill understand this and most of his messages are dealing with this issue in some fashion. He is constantly trying to change and then mold the way his players approach football and life with an understanding of what is required to succeed. He calls it life lessons.

The Big Ten is not the SEC. We also have weather to play in at home instead of the stagnant Metrodome. We may have some snow games this year. I say why not will all of the rest of the games but if I were to give a number I say 7 wins and the Little Brown Jug comes home.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!

Answer: beat any of our two remaining opponents (however three or four more wins would be even better).

Go Gophers!

I'm not bipolar. I've never even been to the South pole...............

I think Gopher fans may have been collectively suffering from "irrational exuberance," (to quote former Fed Chairman Alan Greenspan). Yes, they showed some flashes of good play during the non-conf schedule, but this is still a very young, very inexperienced team - and that is exactly the type of team that is prone to ups and downs during the course of a season. (see- MN Vikings.....)

You're never as good as you think you are after a victory, and you're never as bad as you think you are after a loss.

At the start of the year, I think 90% of the fans, if promised a 6-6 season and a minor bowl game, would have taken that deal in a heartbeat, and been satisfied that the program has taken a step forward. Let's not get greedy. Let the season play out, and if Kill is the coach we think (and hope) he is, he and his staff will find a way to win 2 more games. (but, IMHO, Gray has to be the QB to make it happen - don't trust Max yet to carry the load of being the #1 guy - use him as a change-of-pace/relief pitcher.)

Shorty is correct.

We are who we are. A young, inexperienced squad, a lack of big time playmakers and talent level that will be lucky to produce a 2nd team All BIG and a couple of HM's at the years end. We could have been 2-2 going into Iowa but the guys found ways to win. Good sign.

Coach Kill has stated that this team has no margin for error. The UNLV game was a good example of that. If Q connects, the game is over. But he didn't and we were forced into OT when anything can happen.

6 W's is still a reasonable goal and one that I embraced going into the season. But the guys have to step up, make plays when they need to and clean things up. I have never thought that Q is the type of QB that the program needs but he is the best we have. He needs a strong supportive cast which we are lacking.

I'm not bipolar. I've never even been to the South pole...............

I couldn't disagree with you more shorty. It was a Norwegian named Roald Amundsen who was the first person to the South pole. Since then they have enjoyed a long history of being bipolar. Now I know why you go by shorty, i.e you are short on Norwegian history.

Top Bottom