How do we get 2 more wins?

gopherinpain

Banned
Reaction score
Have to beat Northwestern in two weeks and win at Illinois. With our run D Wisky, MSU, Michigan, and Nebraska will all be blowouts. Purdue could be close. baby steps to 6 wins would be great.

yep, we are who we thought we were. We cant win unless we are +3 turnovers.

I called 5-7 before the season and it's still looking like a likely outcome. We will look different with Gray back in the lineup on offense.

regardless of the 4-0 start getting 2 wins in conference was still gong to be tough.

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

Well you win how we won both conference games last year. Letting the other team play worse than you. Actually, Iowa pissed the game away, but Illinois clearly quit. So hopefully we get a team or two on their off day again and we'll win. 5-7 does look pretty likely though...

If we go 5-7, we are worse in conference than we were last year, and that is a step backwards for this program.

If we go 5-7, we are worse in conference than we were last year, and that is a step backwards for this program.

I agree-especially this year in the conference. We have to win 6 to call this a successful season imo.

Have to beat Northwestern in two weeks and win at Illinois. With our run D Wisky, MSU, Michigan, and Nebraska will all be blowouts. Purdue could be close. baby steps to 6 wins would be great.

Agree - hard to win any of the other games, but NW looks formidable. We might have a shot at Bucky.

All games are winnable. The wins are there. We just have to take them.

Man, I get a kick out of seeing the GH reaction after losses. Take a deep breath, folks; the team is never as good as they seem after a win, and they are never as bad as they seem after a loss.

To answer the OP's question, I would say the key is scoring more points than the opponent in two games.

They play the games for a reason. Enjoy the ride.

Man, I get a kick out of seeing the GH reaction after losses. Take a deep breath, folks; the team is never as good as they seem after a win, and they are never as bad as they seem after a loss.

To answer the OP's question, I would say the key is scoring more points than the opponent in two games.

They play the games for a reason. Enjoy the ride.

Honestly, this board has been mighty nice after the game. This would not be so with every other team, minus Indiana, in the conference.

Honestly, this board has been mighty nice after the game. This would not be so with every other team, minus Indiana, in the conference.

Agreed. More times than not, GopherHole reacts much better to loses than 99% of other boards. I take it those that think we're being harsh today didn't read a single Iowa board this past week.

Go Gophers!!

So the question was how do we win two games - sarcastic answers aside here is how I see things shaping up based off what we have seen to date:

Northwestern - We can win this game but our offense is going to have to play a great game because this Northwestern offense is legit. Their defense has been a bit suspect so there will be points available if Gray/Shortell can establish something through the air. Defense that showed up against Syracuse needs to be at TCF that day as well. Winnable but going to have to play very good in all three phases.

@Wisconsin - Feeling less and less confident about this one as we move on. They played pretty good at Lincoln last night and seem to be figuring some things out. Once again this game is winnable if we can fix our run defense and the offense plays with some consistency.

Purdue - see Northwestern. I think this is a very good Purdue team, we just have to hope being at home = better play and there will be little to no margin for error if we hope to get the W.

Michigan - Ummm if run defense isn't fixed by this game.....yeah

@Illinois - Sucks that it is on the road but by far the best chance for a win as they are do not look good at all right now and just got killed at home by Penn State.

@Nebraska - Weisman destroyed us....they have a guy named Burkhead....let's move on.

Michigan State - We have done pretty well against Michigan State in recent years. They may have a ton riding on this one if they continue to be one of the better teams in the conference. If they are able to run on us we will have little to no shot against them.

Giving us the benefit of the doubt I think we show up and beat Illinois. Other then that game there are winnable games out there but they are going to be tough to come by.

So the question was how do we win two games - sarcastic answers aside here is how I see things shaping up based off what we have seen to date:

Northwestern - We can win this game but our offense is going to have to play a great game because this Northwestern offense is legit. Their defense has been a bit suspect so there will be points available if Gray/Shortell can establish something through the air. Defense that showed up against Syracuse needs to be at TCF that day as well. Winnable but going to have to play very good in all three phases.

@Wisconsin - Feeling less and less confident about this one as we move on. They played pretty good at Lincoln last night and seem to be figuring some things out. Once again this game is winnable if we can fix our run defense and the offense plays with some consistency.

Purdue - see Northwestern. I think this is a very good Purdue team, we just have to hope being at home = better play and there will be little to no margin for error if we hope to get the W.

Michigan - Ummm if run defense isn't fixed by this game.....yeah

@Illinois - Sucks that it is on the road but by far the best chance for a win as they are do not look good at all right now and just got killed at home by Penn State.

@Nebraska - Weisman destroyed us....they have a guy named Burkhead....let's move on.

Michigan State - We have done pretty well against Michigan State in recent years. They may have a ton riding on this one if they continue to be one of the better teams in the conference. If they are able to run on us we will have little to no shot against them.

Giving us the benefit of the doubt I think we show up and beat Illinois. Other then that game there are winnable games out there but they are going to be tough to come by.

I say we beat Northwestern, Illinois and then pull our upset of the year and beat Mich St. @ TCF. That's 7-5 and a nice Bowl game for us.

I say we beat Northwestern, Illinois and then pull our upset of the year and beat Mich St. @ TCF. That's 7-5 and a nice Bowl game for us.

This would be a miracle finish and New Years Day bowl...would love to see it!

No way wisky, msu, michigan, and nebraska are all blowouts. Let's check back at the end of the season and see. Only way that happens is if the injuries keep rolling up. Let's hope the bye week heels everybody.

No way wisky, msu, michigan, and nebraska are all blowouts. Let's check back at the end of the season and see. Only way that happens is if the injuries keep rolling up. Let's hope the bye week heels everybody.

They are all likely blow outs. But good teams can have bad games to. Look at Illinois last year, twice as talented as us but had already quit for the season. We could use another 1 or 2 charity games to actually get to a bowl.

The only way we beat Northwestern is if they all get food poisening before the game........on an unrelated note, do we know where they're staying for the game???

We have 7 games left. Let's not worry about how many wins we may or may not get in that time. If the Gophers play like they are capable of playing they will get to a bowl game. Northwestern is next.

Here's my honest call on how we have to win these games:

NW- take away the run early to attempt to make them one dimensional, that way the d line can pin their ears back and rush. our team's skill set matches up with them well on defense as we are undersized but have the ability to fly to the ball. if we aren't getting gashed by draws and option plays, we can really cause some havoc of NW. offensively the o line needs to put in a strong effort to open up holes so the ground game can move the ball, chew clock, and allow the defense to rest. definitely a winnable game in my eyes

Wisc- load the box, load the box, and load the box some more. Whoever happens to be playing qb at that time for Wisc will have to be the one we challenge to try beat us. we need to run blitz and slant early and often in this one and yes that will put us in 1 on 1 situations in the passing game. however I like those odds much more than the one we employed early against Iowa by letting them run the ball at will. If we are run blitzing, yes the big play chances are there for Wisc, but we also give ourselves shots at the big play while trying to negate Wisc's size advantage. On offense, I think we have to try take shots to stretch the field early to soften them up. I can't see us overpowering Wisc's D even though Neb had success doing that.

Purdue- again we have to stop the run and make them pass against us. i feel our db's have the skills to cover Purdue's receivers, but not if they also are going to be responsible for making a ton of tackles in the run game. On offense, we should be able to move it on Purdue in both facets and Marshall crushed them through the air. If the offense gets grooving early, we can put Purdue in a hole and force them to pass, which plays into our strength defensively as well.

Mich- Make Denard pass from the pocket. Its that simple but going to be extremely difficult to execute. We saw how Denard tries to force the ball when he remains in the pocket as he always wants to big play. Let him beat himself and we can turn out a good defensive performance in this one. On offense, i'd say we have to get creative. Michigan can out speed us but if we can get them with some misdirection at times, this will help to negate their speed as they will be having to spend more time reading. The offensive line will have to be extremely physical in this one for us to have a chance.

Illinois- A lot of how we need to approach this game will depend on the illini psyche at this point. if they continue their tailspin, we need to come out throwing and put them down early and they will cave. If they have gotten some wins at that point, the key will be to pressure the illini qb as much as possible as the illini offense will fall apart without him. Offensively I think we can stretch the field on them and take advantage of what will hopefully be at that time, some much more experienced receivers. Heck of La Tech can do it, so can we!

Nebraska- this one will be the toughest game. The key to it will be discipline. Defending Neb you can't try to play hero but have to stick to doing your job. If the defense can play sound assignment football, they may be able to slow the Neb attack enough to stay in the game. Offensively, we will have to trust in Gray's arm and legs (if he's healthy at this point). We will need him to have a massive game to move the ball effectively in this one.

MSU- defensively we have to load the box and try to force maxwell to beat us. Bell will kill us all game without 8 in the box and we have to take an active approach blitzing to try to force them into negative plays to put them against the sticks. If we can do that, we can try force maxwell into turnovers to give our offense favorable position against a tough D. Offensively the approach will have to be to trust in Gray as he will have to put in the same kind of effort that almost got us the upset last year.

All in all, the games will all present their own unique challenges. However, all the games are winnable especially in a down year for the B1G. I can definitely see us getting the 2 wins somewhere, but it will take much better performances than we showed against Iowa.

We played 1 poor game and now people don't think we can go 2-5 from here on out. The Iowa game was disappointing, but it was just 1 game. A young team on the road, slow start, and dug themselves an early hole. We will learn from the Iowa game and will be better for it.

We played 1 poor game and now people don't think we can go 2-5 from here on out. The Iowa game was disappointing, but it was just 1 game. A young team on the road, slow start, and dug themselves an early hole. We will learn from the Iowa game and will be better for it.

It is funny how quickly it went from "we could win 8 games" to "we'll be lucky to win 6".

Before I hit the hay-the best thing for us to get to that magic number of six wins imo is to get Gray healthy and control the clock. We aren't going to win a shoot-out with anyone.

I'll consider our program to have arrived when we can head into each game thinking we CAN win -- not we EXPECT to win (as we should in most nonconf games) but that we CAN win. This means we are about half the conference away from that goal. We don't think we can against WI, UM, MSU, NE but can win against NW, IL, and PU and thought we could win against IA. We have some way to go before that goal is achieved but we've been there -- that's the way I felt and I think most fans felt in the Mason era. We may not have expected to win every game, but we thought we could win. During Brewster's reign, I felt it was hopeless for more than half the games. Now we're heading back up.

Top Bottom