How do we finish out the 2012 recruiting class?

That'd be a lot of LBs. I don't think we'll be adding more LBs. If I had to guess, we'll either be losing one of those LBs or that offer isn't still current. It's purely a guess though...

Don't know how I slipped the LB in there. Seems like a bit of Sid is coming out as age will do that to you I guess.

I read where he is projected at S or possibly at WR.

Will Johnson is at the top of my list. Haven't seen him play in real life, but have liked his highlight clips. Big target with some quicks for a guy that size and as we saw during the season, Kill gets the TE involved in the passing game.

After that, a couple more DBs.

Limegrover has been at his house this past week and will be back again later this week. His comments about what he wants in a school make it seem MN is a legit (but i cant help think outside) shot at getting one of his final 4 officials. He was hearing from us before he committed to Penn State, then started to again once he decommited. Says he was impressed by the fact our coaches gave him space and respect once he committed to PSU. Would be a HUGE get, lets go limegrover impress his family.

Edit: talking about 4 star OT O'Connor.

It is interesting that we have 23 commits according to Rivals, yet new names emerge everyday in the process. I can't wait for Feb. 2.

Don't know how I slipped the LB in there. Seems like a bit of Sid is coming out as age will do that to you I guess.

I read where he is projected at S or possibly at WR.

Looking at it again, you wrote it right, I read it wrong. I think the "LB" that you wrote was for pounds. You clearly indicated that he was an ATH.

S/WR makes more sense for this class.

The article in GI just says we show interest in him in the title. Does he show interest in us?
Coach Limegrover has met with him twice, but Cal and several other good programs are also pursuing him. He is bascially starting over after dropping PSU, so it may take a while.

“@GEricksonScout: "@OFallonFootball: Ka'Ra Stewart committed to #mizzou on his official visit. *&^!#The Tigers plan to use him as DB. #sec"”

We've got some position flexibility with our recruits, but I'd really like to add another WR and DB, plus a stud O-lineman or D-lineman. O'Connor or one of the JUCO DT's would be nice... hopefully we can end the days of having to start freshmen linemen.

We've got some position flexibility with our recruits, but I'd really like to add another WR and DB, plus a stud O-lineman or D-lineman. O'Connor or one of the JUCO DT's would be nice... hopefully we can end the days of having to start freshmen linemen.
we should be past that in 2012 on offense, might be a couple more years at DT.

we should be past that in 2012 on offense, might be a couple more years at DT.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. I don't think Pirsig will play for a couple of years at the U, and I am ecstatic about that.

We are starting to build that kind of depth a long our defensive ends, where it would be really difficult for a FR to walk right in and contribute.

I think if this class is strong at DT, we will be there by next season.

Agreed. I would not be unhappy to see us take 2 JUCO DT's, unlikely as that is. To redshirt the entire high school class would be huge.

Robert Gregory is no longer listed as a Arkansas commit.

awesome_design_black.png

But I read where he says Arkansas is still his first choice and the Gophers second.

He may be taking other visits and said he will hold tight until he announces on LOI day. Sounds as if he could be one of the "drama kings" who like to play the drum roll and hats on the table game. Kill may not want to wait that long.

Damarius Travis 6-2 200 LB Safety could be the next Gopher.

.......Damarius Travis 6-2 200 LB Safety could be the next Gopher.

Talk about an "under the radar" recruit! Not much information on him (at least not that I could find). If Kill and Co. think he'll fit in, I'm all for it.

Gregory, W Johnson, and a DT that can play right away....I would be happy.

Is Travis out of the mix now that we got a commitment from Johnson? It seems like we've maxed out the DB position.

I am glad the Will H soap opera is over. He was never a favorite of mine, but I will defer to more knowledgeable football minds about how big a loss he is at TE. He has essentially been focused on out of state offers for six months, so I really am happy for him, and I am happy to not have to hear about it anymore. Good luck to him. I hope he likes WVU.

I am glad the Will H soap opera is over. He was never a favorite of mine, but I will defer to more knowledgeable football minds about how big a loss he is at TE. He has essentially been focused on out of state offers for six months, so I really am happy for him, and I am happy to not have to hear about it anymore. Good luck to him. I hope he likes WVU.

I have very limited knowledge about Will Johnson and I really do wish him the best. I pull for every MN kid except. Evendently he is suppose to be a really talented guy, but it was sometimes difficult to tell from his highlights. He is supposed to be a great blocker and would have been a nice fit. However, I am excited about Maxx Williams at that position. I can't really compare the two, but I like how versatile and all around athlete Maxx was in HS (QB, RB, WR, DE, LB). I saw him at the SSP - Mankato West football game a bit ago, and he looked every bit of 225. I'd actually be surpised if he wasn't closer to 235/240. I could be wrong on that, but I expect Maxx to play A LOT next season.

But yeah, sorry about the tangent. Good luck to Will Johnson.

I am bummed about the loss of W. Johnson not for what he is as a football player, but who he is, i.e., a local product with a lot of quality offers from all over the country. We need these types of kids to negate the perception that Minnesota is small-time and to show that local players with quality options would rather stay here and help build up the state school.

I don't know what WVU is telling him, but he is almost certain to end up an OT (likely would've here too, though blocking/red zone TE would've been possible as well), and OT is probably the deepest position on our squad, so I've never honestly thought we would be losing much on a football basis if he decided to go elsewhere. He does have a lot of potential at OT, though.

No disrespect to Will johnson intended, but he has never acted like Minnesota is even his home state school ,and we know Davidson does not look at it that way. If a kid sees glamour in going out of state, has made it clear he wants to do that, and plays a position where we can develop other players, I refuse to get bummed about him leaving.
McDonald is a rare talent for the state and a real loss, Johnson may turn into an excellent OT, but we will have excellent OTs w/o him.
Be bummed if you want, but there are way too many opportunities to be bummed as Gopher fans to waste it on kids who did not grow up here, were not fabulous HS players, and want to go somewhere else.
To be honest, I don't see Michigan, OSU or Alabama beating their doors down; they have potential, they are not locks. Visits scheduled for January are backups by the way, offers without visits don't mean much.
Just my opinion.

Pharmacy Goper nailed it. If we can get a WR (i.e. Gregory), a DT, and a "surprise," someone like O'Connor, McDonald or Johnson switching, this will be a nice class.

Top Bottom