How do we finish out the 2012 recruiting class?

John Galt

Reaction score
Right now we have the following commits per Rivals:

QB (2): Nelson, Leidner
RB (2): Gillum, R. Williams Jr.
WR (2): Fruechte, Harbison
TE (2): M. Williams, Hinds, Plsek?
OL (2): Pirsig, Hayes
DT (2): Ekpe, Hinojosa
DE (2): Plsek?, Keith
LB (4): Ballesteros, Davis, Lynn, Nicholson
DB (8): Baltazar, Boddy, Moss, Murray, Rallis, Shabazz, Johnson, Travis

26 commits total, I'm guessing we sign close to 30 due to some departures and counting a few back to 2011. What jumps out immediately to me is that we need at least one more WR and DT. We only have 2 DE's committed, but I'm guessing one of the linebackers get's moved (possibly Davis or Ballesteros)? I've heard Hinds may no longer have an offer, so it would be great to get W. Johnson as a blocking TE. Rallis is listed at DB, but from what I've heard there's a good chance he end up a LB, so we're probably done there. Here are my guesses with what other positions we land:

1-2 WR, 1 TE, 1DT, 1DE, 1-2DB, 1OL (only if we find a high potential guy, not a position of need).

28 is the limit. You can only count three back.

At this point, take the best players/athletes that are:

a)willing and able to come to MN
b) could potentially end up playing various positions in college (DB/RB; DE/DT/TE/OL; LB/DE)

We need speed, and we need athletes.

Need the kid from Osseo. I liked the two JUCO DTs I just read about. But I agree, take the best kids available. Alot of recruiting left with all least 5 tenders available. Looks like a very balanced class. Give Kill and his hardworking staff alot of credit.

I don't have any inside info, but I wouldn't 100% count on those initial 23.

I think we really need a JuCo DT. I think two incoming FR DT's is enough for that class, but we need to add some depth at DT that can play right away.

I also think we need another DB or two, probably 1 more JuCo and 1 more FR.

I think we are pretty set at LB/QB/DE but other than that, get the best guys who will come here.

Not to sound negative.

Brewster brought in some good recruiting classes so on that note I will say I will give him credit when we find out if these kids can play.

Kill said 25 or 26.

Right now we have 23, maybe 22 depending on rumored conditional offers

So we have 3-4 spots left.
Most kids coming in brand new are WR/S/CB types, I think they know who they have a shot with and who they are trying to sway.
Then there's the JUCO DTs and Will Johnson.

I think we take a S, a WR or a CB, one of those JUCO DTs, and Will if he wants in, if not we take another S/WR/CB whichever isn't filled.

Sounds like MV's hearing alot of Hback/TE types are being offered preferred walkons and fringe offers. Makes sense, that's a position you can fill with good solid in state guys.

So far my favorite commits are Drew Davis and Maxx Williams, I think both those kids end up being really good players for the U.

My only gripe so far is one of Brewster's mortal sins he tried to remedy over and over: a feature back with gamebreaking speed. Here's to hoping we get one of those either next year or the year after so Nelson and his passing game have a complement Weber and Gray never have/had.

We need speed at the slotback in case Jones doesn't recover from the knee injury (1)
I agree on Will Johnson (2)
Will probably only take one on the juco DT (3)
A true safety (4)
Another WR (5)

*right now I think Morris is iffy and I beleive that is why they're getting the Lee kid to visit.

Will Johnson, Charlie Miller, and two safeties (Stewart & Jones). That puts us at 26. Someone like Hinds may be replaced by Plescke and Morris by say Eric Lee. It's going to be an interesting two months until signing day.

28 is the limit. You can only count three back.
Do the three "count backs" include all of the January adds?
Additionally I still can't figure out how we can fit 26 recruits on the roster, but I guess we'll know soon enough.

One way of making roster room on the 85 man roster is to place someone (Xavian Brandon?) on a medical scholarship. A board of doctors determine, that a player is medically disqualified from playing, then the scholarship doesn't count agaist your 85.

Kill has said half the commits online are incorrect, so I have no idea what to actually think about this class other than I will trust Kill.

Kill said 25 or 26.

Right now we have 23, maybe 22 depending on rumored conditional offers

So we have 3-4 spots left.
Most kids coming in brand new are WR/S/CB types, I think they know who they have a shot with and who they are trying to sway.
Then there's the JUCO DTs and Will Johnson.

I think we take a S, a WR or a CB, one of those JUCO DTs, and Will if he wants in, if not we take another S/WR/CB whichever isn't filled.

Sounds like MV's hearing alot of Hback/TE types are being offered preferred walkons and fringe offers. Makes sense, that's a position you can fill with good solid in state guys.
So far my favorite commits are Drew Davis and Maxx Williams.

My only gripe so far is one of Brewster's mortal sins he tried to remedy over and over: a feature back with gamebreaking speed. Here's to hoping we get one of those either next year or the year after so Nelson and his passing game have a complement Weber and Gray never have/had.

I don't know much about Drew Davis but I remember thinking his highlights were impressive. Do you know more about him?

We do desperately need a game breaker at the RB position. Part of me kind of has thought that maybe a kid like Marcus Jones could eventually be converted to RB. He is so dynamic with the ball in his hand, so fast, and plays pretty tough. I know he's small (5'8" 175) but if he could add 10-15 lbs in the next couple years, he wouldn't be much different from Chad Spann at Northern Illinois (5'9" 195). It could even be a situation like the Vikes do with Harvin where we line him up in the slot most of the time, but get him 5-10 carries a game (if we don't think he has the size).

Another guy to keep your eye on is James Gillum. Gillum put up monsterous numbers in Louisiana and is supposedly a pretty fast RB. It's hard to neccesarily trust JuCo guys until you've seen them with your own eyes, but it'll be interesting.

Wow...that's crazy. I almost have to think there would be some interest shown by him for us to be pursuing him at all. Time is vital at this time of the year in recruiting and I can't believe that if we didn't think we had at least a chance that we would even consider him. Yeah, he's a top flight OT.

For O-line, I think they'll be very selective at this point and only take someone who is as good as a Pirsig or Hayes. O'Connor would definitely fit the bill...

Wow...that's crazy. I almost have to think there would be some interest shown by him for us to be pursuing him at all. Time is vital at this time of the year in recruiting and I can't believe that if we didn't think we had at least a chance that we would even consider him. Yeah, he's a top flight OT.
Rivals may show him as a tackle but at 6'4 I think guard makes more sense. Hayes will most likely play center so picking up a guard makes sense.

The harder you work, the luckier you get. He wants to play in the Big Ten and we have tenders available. I think recruiting is far from over.

The article in GI just says we show interest in him in the title. Does he show interest in us?

Rivals may show him as a tackle but at 6'4 I think guard makes more sense. Hayes will most likely play center so picking up a guard makes sense.

I hope they keep Hayes at guard and use his pulling and trapping ability. The guy has very good wheels and can lock and load. He should be a force after two three years of conditioning.

I hope they keep Hayes at guard and use his pulling and trapping ability. The guy has very good wheels and can lock and load. He should be a force after two three years of conditioning.
Think Matt Birk when you think Hayes at center (Idk if he'll be that good, but I hope you know what I mean)

Really talented C's are amazing at pulling. Look at a guy like Eslinger. If you have a C who is capable of pulling and being good at it, it's a huge bonus for an OL. I'd expect to see Hayes in that mold.

Everything you said applied to Esslinger from the center position.

Jalen Whitlow 6-3/200 LB 4.55 ATH just decommited from Arkansas State and has a Gopher offer. Coach Sawvel is everywhere. It seems as we may be making some inroads into Alabama.

Jalen Whitlow 6-3/200 LB 4.55 ATH just decommited from Arkansas State and has a Gopher offer. Coach Sawvel is everywhere. It seems as we may be making some inroads into Alabama.

That'd be a lot of LBs. I don't think we'll be adding more LBs. If I had to guess, we'll either be losing one of those LBs or that offer isn't still current. It's purely a guess though...

That'd be a lot of LBs. I don't think we'll be adding more LBs. If I had to guess, we'll either be losing one of those LBs or that offer isn't still current. It's purely a guess though...
DE the size of LB is one thing Kill wants. Does he have the frame to put on weight?

DE the size of LB is one thing Kill wants. Does he have the frame to put on weight?

He might, but that's a lot of weight up from 200lbs. Additionally, we are starting to get a little full there too with Keith, Morris and have an offer to Lee. Additionally we brought in 3 guys last season (Cockran, Amaefula, and Bauducco) who will be playing TE. So I don't know. I know we aren't supposed to get too caught up into the numbers at this point, but DE and LB seem to positions we have quite a few of right now.

Top Bottom