How did the defense let Miami back in

swelna

Reaction score
Last week I was giving the defense the benefit of the doubt because it was OSU, but watching them let Miami Ohio back into the game and seeing OSU currently down vs Oregon has changed my mind.

I know the play calling on the Offense hasn't been stellar either, but I don't see how you can't blame more of the close game on the defense. More and more I'm losing faith in Rossi and thinking he is only a tad better than Rob Smith and had NFL talent boosting the 2019 performance.

The Gophers under Fleck have never fielded a quality defense without AWJr.

This was also the most memorable example of complacency I've seen under Fleck. The energy drop off in the 3rd quarter was shocking, like everyone was bored until it became a 1 point game.

Not going to make excuses for the defensive struggles in the second half but the 3rd quarter offense or lack thereof was a major factor in letting Miami OH back into the game. The offense in the 3rd quarter was awful, couldn't sustain anything.

I said it in the game thread but the d-line has to be the most disappointing group so far. I thought this was going to be the best and deepest interior DL we’ve had in awhile. And no pass rush, Mafe MIA for the most part.

Miami often ran out 4 WR, and the boundary slot receiver (usually #13) was passed off to an LB rather than having the corner (covering the outside boundary) cover or the safety come down to cover. Free runner all game and was never adjusted to. Drove me nuts.

They don't have closing speed. I can't tell you how many times today I thought we were getting a sack or going to put a running back down. We just can't ever get there.

Our secondary has no ball awareness to speak of.

We lack athletes who can make plays. Every year it's going to be different but it just never changes.

Miami often ran out 4 WR, and the boundary slot receiver (usually #13) was passed off to an LB rather than having the corner (covering the outside boundary) cover or the safety come down to cover. Free runner all game and was never adjusted to. Drove me nuts.

I noticed this a lot. Sori-Marin was stuck on a WR several times and was chasing to catch up.

I said it in the game thread but the d-line has to be the most disappointing group so far. I thought this was going to be the best and deepest interior DL we’ve had in awhile. And no pass rush, Mafe MIA for the most part.
Agree. They generated some pressure at times but it is not enough. No pass rush against Ohio State is something that can be glossed over, but you have to be able to generate pressure against teams like Miami OH.

Anyone that pays more attention, do we ever run any stunts or anything on the DL? I don’t pay a lot of attention but it doesn’t seem like we do much creative on the DL.

Anyone that pays more attention, do we ever run any stunts or anything on the DL? I don’t pay a lot of attention but it doesn’t seem like we do much creative on the DL.
First play of the game they ran a stunt with Mafe. Did not work well.

They have also have dropped him into zone in the flat and ran with an LB or safety trying to create pressure.

Not a lot, but a couple of wrinkles.

What jumped out at me with the DL/pass rush today was the lack of finishing. They had way too many near misses. That QB wasn't the most agile/elusive one that they'll face this year and they continually failed to wrap him up.

Lots of new faces in the front 7 and I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on that for this being the 2nd game, but that excuse isn't going to fly much longer

Agree. They generated some pressure at times but it is not enough. No pass rush against Ohio State is something that can be glossed over, but you have to be able to generate pressure against teams like Miami OH.
Miami played freshman at both tackles. We got no sacks. That is a bad omen.

They were up 31-20 with like 6 minutes left and forced a fourth down incompletion but Cheney had a late hit. Without that penalty we likely win by three scores.

That roughing the QB call near the end of the game didn’t help.

I noticed this a lot. Sori-Marin was stuck on a WR several times and was chasing to catch up.
I don’t really see the Gophers run it, but I hope they can mix in a cover 3. That is what they should be playing against a team like that.

Now that all of Kill/Claeys guys are gone and playing in the NFL, we are seeing what our defensive recruiting has left us with.

Turns out Coughlin, Winfield, and Martin, were actually really good football players and not just motivated by funny sayings. Go figure.

Now that all of Kill/Claeys guys are gone and playing in the NFL, we are seeing what our defensive recruiting has left us with.

Turns out Coughlin, Winfield, and Martin, were actually really good football players and not just motivated by funny sayings. Go figure.
You want Kill/Claeys back? Or what's your point? Maybe they shoulda won more with their guys and they'd still be here.

What exactly are you pining for? The strength of the 2019 team was the offense not the defense. The Defense was solid but they didn't exactly shut teams down either. Look at the scores from those games, especially the early season ones where we won close non-conf games.

The current defense leaves a lot to be desired right now, but it isn't like we went from an all-world defense to a bunch of scrubs.

The biggest issue right now seems to be teams making adjustments to us at halftime and exploiting the D in the second half. We held Ohio State to 10 in the first half and Miami scored 3. 2nd half defense in both games was atrocious.

Top Bottom