How Could This Possibly Happen?

DoubleAlum

Reaction score
The last three times (2 football, 1 basketball) we fired a coach and tried to hire a new one, we could not sign a single name from our top choices. How could this BOR or administration allow Coyle to fire Claeys before he had someone ready to go? This is negligence and a failure of our leadership to learn anything from the past. If I were a Regent, I would've pounded the table on this incessantly and resigned if they allowed this to happen again. Not learning from prior mistakes is inexcusable. Im dumbfounded by these people.

"Our" top choices or the AD's?

I don't know that they ever tell us their choices.

The last three times (2 football, 1 basketball) we fired a coach and tried to hire a new one, we could not sign a single name from our top choices. How could this BOR or administration allow Coyle to fire Claeys before he had someone signed? This is negligence and a failure of our leadership to learn anything from the past. If I were a Regent, I would've pounded the table on this incessantly and resigned if they allowed this to happen again. Not learning from prior mistakes is inexcusable. Im dumbfounded by these people.

You know who they will hire? Why don't you try and wait until they get somebody to come to a conclusion on whether or not they can get a top choice. Oh, and Pitino seems to be doing just fine this year.

Dean Johnson brought up Sumlin's name unsolicited on the radio this morning. He met with Coyle yesterday.

I would say Coyle knows who would come here and he's making his decision.

My hope is Fleck is the fall back plan at this point.

"Our" top choices or the AD's?

I don't know that they ever tell us their choices.

Good point. But, can we agree that they offered several other people the job before they made a hire? And can we agree that the time it took at least suggests that several others declined the job? And can we agree that based on who they signed, these men were likely not at the top of the list? Of course, i don't have the facts, but don't you agree it's likely?

The last three times (2 football, 1 basketball) we fired a coach and tried to hire a new one, we could not sign a single name from our top choices. How could this BOR or administration allow Coyle to fire Claeys before he had someone signed? This is negligence and a failure of our leadership to learn anything from the past. If I were a Regent, I would've pounded the table on this incessantly and resigned if they allowed this to happen again. Not learning from prior mistakes is inexcusable. Im dumbfounded by these people.

You know who they will hire? Why don't you try and wait until they get somebody to come to a conclusion on whether or not they can get a top choice. Oh, and Pitino seems to be doing just fine this year.

I agree with everything you said, but why fire him before you have someone better? It's mind boggling.

Give it a couple of days, probably Friday. Things are happening.

You can't hire the new guy before you fire the old guy.

I'd love to see an example of a coaching switch where the new guy was announced the day of the firing. Because this hasn't happened, people are calling it a failure. I'll gladly eat crow if examples like this exist or if this process drags on past Friday/Monday.

I'd love to see an example of a coaching switch where the new guy was announced the day of the firing. Because this hasn't happened, people are calling it a failure. I'll gladly eat crow if examples like this exist or if this process drags on past Friday/Monday.

Believe me, I hope I'm wrong and have to eat crow. I guess the last three searches have me a little spooked.

It's cute you think Coyle fired him. Coyle is being told what to do. Check the quotes from the regents. I'd also like to know who else was in the room (other university officials).

I agree with everything you said, but why fire him before you have someone better? It's mind boggling.

Keep in mind that if somebody is hired pretty much before you fire the current coach, you are creating a dumpster fire fro the future. The new coach would be looking over his shoulder too. As Kill said, they all know each other and hear the talk. I'm sure some preliminary work was done but hard to finalize somebody new when the seat is still hot.

It's cute you think Coyle fired him. Coyle is being told what to do. Check the quotes from the regents. I'd also like to know who else was in the room (other university officials).

I understand the decision came from higher up. Who do you think ultimately had the final say? Not sure I follow you.

How do you know?

Kaler fired coach Claeys as much as Coyle did. He is just trying to keep heat off himself, because he hired a sexual harasser at Stony Brook and then subsequently hired a serial one at Minnesota when he hired Norwood Teague. If the board of regents were smart they would start taking a look into Kaler's closet before more litigation starts and encourage him to seek employment elsewhere.

Might be true or might be "cute" too.

Kill was on the KSTP radio this morning and said the Coyle had been looking around for a replacement for quite awhile now. Maybe he was "just following orders" but it wasn't just a result of the recent meeting. Or anything that happened in December either.

Keep in mind that if somebody is hired pretty much before you fire the current coach, you are creating a dumpster fire fro the future. The new coach would be looking over his shoulder too. As Kill said, they all know each other and hear the talk. I'm sure some preliminary work was done but hard to finalize somebody new when the seat is still hot.

I guess I don't understand the process. I would think you get a verbal commit from a guy, then pull the trigger.

Another non-Minnesotan as AD makes another monumental mistake, just as Teague did with the ticket gouging scheme, which knocked down season ticket sales by nearly 25%. This is much worse as it demolishes all the building toward tough, competitive teams achieved by Coach Kill and tosses away the accumulated experience of this remarkable coaching staff. If you loved the 7-49 and 0-56 blowout losses that were common here for decades, you'll get your wish. Why we can't have an M man for AD is beyond me. We're now on our fourth in a row, with generally bad results. The Regents should fire Coyle for replicating Maturi's AFTER BOWL firing of a winning coach. University presidents with overly close ties to politically correct groups, don't help.

Dean Johnson brought up Sumlin's name unsolicited on the radio this morning. He met with Coyle yesterday.

I would say Coyle knows who would come here and he's making his decision.

My hope is Fleck is the fall back plan at this point.

Doesn't Sumlin make $5 million? Talk about bad P.R., $5 million would create a nightmare unless a donor funds it, right?

I understand the decision came from higher up. Who do you think ultimately had the final say? Not sure I follow you.

Check Dean Johnson's comments on the meeting. Kaler drove this. Coyle did what he was told, but it was also what he was going to do the second Claeys gave him a reason, and Claeys did just that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I tend to agree with you overall, but such a thing did just happen this year. Charlie Strong was fired and Tom Herman hired the same day at Texas. But that is a rare example. It's not common at all, and many would say that Texas treated Strong poorly by not firing him sooner.

I completely disagree. While you have not formally hired them or inked them. You have things worked out this happens in every corporate restructuring I have been part of and a succession list is not hard to generate.

Another non-Minnesotan as AD makes another monumental mistake, just as Teague did with the ticket gouging scheme, which knocked down season ticket sales by nearly 25%. This is much worse as it demolishes all the building toward tough, competitive teams achieved by Coach Kill and tosses away the accumulated experience of this remarkable coaching staff. If you loved the 7-49 and 0-56 blowout losses that were common here for decades, you'll get your wish. Why we can't have an M man for AD is beyond me. We're now on our fourth in a row, with generally bad results. The Regents should fire Coyle for replicating Maturi's AFTER BOWL firing of a winning coach. University presidents with overly close ties to politically correct groups, don't help.

We have had games like that but you have to go back quite a while for those kind of results to be considered common around here. Think you might be exaggerating just a bit. Maybe sit tight and at least wait and see who they hire before assuming it will be a disaster.

We have had games like that but you have to go back quite a while for those kind of results to be considered common around here. Think you might be exaggerating just a bit. Maybe sit tight and at least wait and see who they hire before assuming it will be a disaster.

Agree. I hope everyone waits and sees and the members of the Board of Regents decide to talk among themselves for the next few days rather than running to the press.

I completely disagree. While you have not formally hired them or inked them. You have things worked out this happens in every corporate restructuring I have been part of and a succession list is not hard to generate.

Might be common in the corporate world but it is not common in athletics. Still it has been what 2 days since Claeys was fired....if this process is still dragging on and nothing is happening by next week or the week after it is time to worry. From the reports that have come out they seem to be moving very quickly to get a new coach in place (met already with Fleck for sure and no search firm talk that I have seen) so before we all assume this administration is going to botch the hire the way others have maybe we should try something crazy like being patient and seeing how things play out. Of course I know that is crazy talk and we should all demand a new coach be in place by noon today or this whole thing has been a massive failure.

Might be common in the corporate world but it is not common in athletics. Still it has been what 2 days since Claeys was fired....if this process is still dragging on and nothing is happening by next week or the week after it is time to worry. From the reports that have come out they seem to be moving very quickly to get a new coach in place (met already with Fleck for sure and no search firm talk that I have seen) so before we all assume this administration is going to botch the hire the way others have maybe we should try something crazy like being patient and seeing how things play out. Of course I know that is crazy talk and we should all demand a new coach be in place by noon today or this whole thing has been a massive failure.

In this type of situation, like the situation with Charlie Strong, if you pull the trigger have things lined up. I for one am not panicking at this point, although I don't believe any of the names being tossed about right now will take the job if offered, and have a sneaking suspicion the strib reporting Fleck has not been offered after it was reported he had been, may have been an indication of his answer.

For Coyle, his timeframe for ending this is a small window. Not two days small, but no more than a week. If this goes on more than a week, we're in serious trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom