How are guys that transferred away from MN doing?

Benhart is only a sophomore. I’m not a fan either but a few on here think freshman offensive lineman can’t improve. I remember one here that got schooled pretty bad by Iowa and turned out to be a decent player.
I agree that we shouldn't discount the growth a player can have. As a RS So, Sam Schlueter was down right bad at times (i.e. the Iowa game your referencing) and he worked on his fundamentals and improved. Bryce Benhart is a RS Jr (technically a sophomore) who has started 26 games with little to no improvement.

I agree that we shouldn't discount the growth a player can have. As a RS So, Sam Schlueter was down right bad at times (i.e. the Iowa game your referencing) and he worked on his fundamentals and improved. Bryce Benhart is a RS Jr (technically a sophomore) who has started 26 games with little to no improvement.
Getting better can have something to do with the different coaching staffs. We’ve seen many players improve in Fleck’s system. Not so much under Frosty.

If I had to guess the main differentiator is ZA was/is a little careless with the ball which is a big no no for Fleck. Morgan has shown he can perform at a high level in the right system.

That may be true but I think a bigger difference is that ZA was the starting QB who got hurt and Morgan stepped in and played well enough for Fleck to not see a need to make a change. If ZA had not gotten hurt he very well could have have kept the starting QB job. He has a stronger arm and was more accurate than Morgan at that time.

Benhart is only a sophomore. I’m not a fan either but a few on here think freshman offensive lineman can’t improve. I remember one here that got schooled pretty bad by Iowa and turned out to be a decent player.
Benhart is a 4th year player this season, 3rd year player last season when Otomewo made him look silly.

I think we dodged a bullet. But you're still right. Who knows, maybe he gets drafted and has a great NFL career.

And no one knows with Mahlman, this is his first year playing.

I just root against these guys having success, because they (and/or their dads) thought they were too good for the Gophers.

Benhart is a 4th year player this season, 3rd year player last season when Otomewo made him look silly.

I think we dodged a bullet. But you're still right. Who knows, maybe he gets drafted and has a great NFL career.

And no one knows with Mahlman, this is his first year playing.

I just root against these guys having success, because they (and/or their dads) thought they were too good for the Gophers.
Don't forget the moms!!!

I don't know if he beats out Ruschmeyer. He was starting to take looks away from Dunlap last season (likely prompted his decision to quit on his team).
Correct. Fleck tried roatating Dunlap in and it wasn't working. He also tried using Dunlap in our 6ol sets but Ruschmeyer beat him out.

If Dunlap wasn't a 4 star commit I don't think hed be discussed as much here

That may be true but I think a bigger difference is that ZA was the starting QB who got hurt and Morgan stepped in and played well enough for Fleck to not see a need to make a change. If ZA had not gotten hurt he very well could have have kept the starting QB job. He has a stronger arm and was more accurate than Morgan at that time.

ZA was definitely not more accurate, and he threw into crowds way too often. Arm strength, sure maybe a bit. Not enough to make a difference.

A lot of the early Jerry Kill days had guys getting torched on plays who later proved to be really good.

Jerry and Co. were happy to go the "sink or swim" with guys who looked horrific at times but years later were pretty good. I'm thinking Defense mostly.

A lot of the early Jerry Kill days had guys getting torched on plays who later proved to be really good.

Jerry and Co. were happy to go the "sink or swim" with guys who looked horrific at times but years later were pretty good. I'm thinking Defense mostly.
Howden for PJ looked pretty bad early on

Mariano Sori-Marin is still hounded by his disastrous 2020 despite playing quite well in 2021

Brennan Armstrong under a new head coach went 21/33 for 246. 2 passing TD's, and Int, and 1 rushing TD.

If he’s started 26 games how is he technically a sophomore or is it the COVID year freebie?

I wonder what Bryce Benhart would have become under the tutelage of Brian Callahan with the Gophers. The Gophers did recruit him hard in the beginning. Didn't his dad make a mockery of the RTB culture? There are burned bridges between Benhart and the Gophers.

I wonder what Bryce Benhart would have become under the tutelage of Brian Callahan with the Gophers. The Gophers did recruit him hard in the beginning. Didn't his dad make a mockery of the RTB culture? There are burned bridges between Benhart and the Gophers.
When there is an opportunity join a culture of puking your way to hoodie-free manly manhood - you take it and you don’t look back! Well, other than looking back to confirm the guy you were blocking is the one that got the sack.

Benhart in action, one for his highlight reel. Maybe next time he'll actually move when the ball is snapped...

WOW! I've never seen anything close to that in College Football. I coached Jr. Highers and saw this occasionally, but never more than once (yes, I read them the riot act if I saw this - shows lack of focus).

Is this a re-occuring issue with Benhart?

At least with defensive backs, Sawvel really liked to burn their redshirts as freshman and play them on all the special teams to work on tackling. It really seemed to pay dividends with those guys, especially Eric Murray when he was thrust into the starting role as a true sophomore -- and his NFL career because he's been able to carve out a role on multiple teams

WOW! I've never seen anything close to that in College Football. I coached Jr. Highers and saw this occasionally, but never more than once (yes, I read them the riot act if I saw this - shows lack of focus).

Is this a re-occuring issue with Benhart?

I think he mixes it up, sometimes he starts early.

Top Bottom