House passes bill allowing beer sales at TCF; Dayton likely to sign

Important note, one MN beer must be served under the terms of the bill. MOAR SURLY PLZ! :)

Here's the bill itself: https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bin/getb...rsion=list&session_number=0&session_year=2012

And the language that pertains to the U:

Subd. 4a. Publicly owned recreation; entertainment facilities. (a)
2.6 Notwithstanding any other law, local ordinance, or charter provision, the commissioner
2.7 may issue on-sale intoxicating liquor licenses:

2.16 (3) to the Board of Regents of the University of Minnesota for events at Northrop
2.17 Auditorium, the intercollegiate football stadium, or including any games played by the
2.18 Minnesota Vikings at the stadium, and at no more than seven other locations within the
2.19 boundaries of the University of Minnesota, provided that the Board of Regents has
2.20 approved an application for a license for the specified location and provided that a license
2.21 for an arena or an intercollegiate football stadium location is void unless it requires the
2.22 sale or service of intoxicating liquor in a public portion consisting of at least one-third of
2.23 the general seating of a stadium or arena meets the conditions of paragraph (b). It is solely
2.24 within the discretion of the Board of Regents to choose the manner in which to carry out
2.25 this condition these conditions consistent with the requirements of paragraph (b)

2.31 (b) No alcoholic beverage may be sold or served at TCF Bank Stadium unless the
2.32 Board of Regents holds an on-sale intoxicating liquor license for the stadium as provided
2.33 in paragraph (a), clause (3), that provides for the sale of intoxicating liquor at a location in
2.34 the stadium that is convenient to the general public attending an intercollegiate football
2.35 game at the stadium. On-sale liquor sales to the general public must be available at that
3.1 location through half-time of an intercollegiate football game at TCF Bank Stadium, and
3.2 sales at the stadium must comply with section 340A.909.

It's up the Regents. The legislature is still overstepping its authority, but if the Regents decide to allow alcohol in the stadium it is their call. The key provision in the bill is "convenient". It doesn't declare how convenient it has to be.

Yep, it's up to the Regents, except that they still have to either require "the sale or service of intoxicating liquor in a public portion consisting of at least one-third of the general seating of a stadium" or "at a location in the stadium that is convenient to the general public attending an intercollegiate football game at the stadium" if they want it at all. Will be interesting to see how they handle it.

Obviously option a (serving to at least one-third of the seats) is out. So it's either option b (serving in a "convenient" location) or option c (not serving at all). And we're back to square one.

Honestly, I think the suites are convenient enough. You just have to pay extra for the convenience :)

Obviously option a (serving to at least one-third of the seats) is out. So it's either option b (serving in a "convenient" location) or option c (not serving at all). And we're back to square one.

And all public signs from the leadership at the U point to B, which will take the form of a beer garden.

While they're at it, could they ban Wisconsin cheese curds in the concession stands? My 9 year old son bought some Saturday and they looked like fried herring pieces. And they were cold. Yuck. I'd rather he have a beer.

There will be a fine line to walk in regards to what is 'convenient'.

I'm sure the U would like to see as little beer served to the general public as possible. The U should consider not putting in cash registers at said beer garden. Maybe put the U Marketing Dept in charge of signage and advertising.

It's up the Regents. The legislature is still overstepping its authority, but if the Regents decide to allow alcohol in the stadium it is their call. The key provision in the bill is "convenient". It doesn't declare how convenient it has to be.

It doesn't matter where the beer garden ends up in the first year. Within two or three years the Athletics Department will be hooked on the additional revenue and they will want more of it. Before long there will be more than one beer garden to make it really convenient for Gopher fans in all parts of the stadium to enjoy a beer at the game.

While I am on the pro-beer side of the discussion, I can't help but think that a beer garden in the West End will be kind of ugly looking. And too far away from me to ever consider going.

While I am on the pro-beer side of the discussion, I can't help but think that a beer garden in the West End will be kind of ugly looking. And too far away from me to ever consider going.

I imagine they'd put it up top, on the visitors side. Can't close off space on the plaza/underneath the scoreboard without disrupting traffic and existing vendors quite a bit.

Your credentials on the law, please.

I imagine they'd put it up top, on the visitors side. Can't close off space on the plaza/underneath the scoreboard without disrupting traffic and existing vendors quite a bit.

I've always thought that that Entire upper area would be an awesome spot, however it would be too close to the students and the visiting fans for that to happen. I wonder if they'd open up a couple gates on the scoreboard side and put it out on the plaza so its' not as blatantly visible from a tv perspective.

I think the beer garden is tacky and will be a black eye for the stadium and the entire game day experience. There are plenty of places to enjoy a few beers before and after the game, which I usually do. I don't understand the allure with having $9 Bud Lights for the first half of the game. A beer garden will make me less likely to bring my kids to the game. It also increases the chances that Gopher games will regress into the atmosphere of Viking games, which if that ever happens, would make me question my decision to purchase season tickets. Leave alcohol at games to the pro teams please....

I've always thought that that Entire upper area would be an awesome spot, however it would be too close to the students and the visiting fans for that to happen. I wonder if they'd open up a couple gates on the scoreboard side and put it out on the plaza so its' not as blatantly visible from a tv perspective.

That's a thought. Could impede flow before or after the games but if they did it via the gates under the scoreboard it would keep it out of view.

I think the beer garden is tacky and will be a black eye for the stadium and the entire game day experience. There are plenty of places to enjoy a few beers before and after the game, which I usually do. I don't understand the allure with having $9 Bud Lights for the first half of the game. A beer garden will make me less likely to bring my kids to the game. It also increases the chances that Gopher games will regress into the atmosphere of Viking games, which if that ever happens, would make me question my decision to purchase season tickets. Leave alcohol at games to the pro teams please....

Too little, and too late. And don't worry about your children. My son and daughter grew up attending Gopher football games at the Dome and both graduated with honors from the U. And they still love going to Gopher games with me.

If it's done right none of your concerns are valid. I do think the logical place is the plaza underneath the scoreboard. Yeah, it'll displace a few existing vendors, but boo-hoo. You can't make an omelet without cracking a few eggs. I agree with you I'd rather drink my own beer before & after (at about $1-1.50 per) rather than paying $8 or $9 for a Grain Belt). But there are times when a cold one would be nice at the game.

I live right off of Grand Ave. Grand Old Day was getting out of hand in the 1990's, with yahoos wheeling kegs down the street. They instituted the beer gardens there, and made it into a very family friendly event. That included wristbands and checking ID's. I'm not sure how they'd handle that at TCF.

Like someone else posted, if you want to limit beer sales, have our sports marketing people run the program. Those clowns couldn't organize a two car funeral. Hopefully Norwood will change that.

Your credentials on the law, please.

Basic understanding of the English language. The law doesn't require the U to serve alcohol. It only allows the U to serve alcohol in the suites if they have make it available to everyone, and leaves the means up to the Regents. The law says that it has to be convenient, but doesn't define what is convenient.

Yipee!

Now everybody can repeat what they said before. As Yogi Berra would say "This feels like déjà vue all over again." My only comment on this subject is that the beer garden will have limited customers since it won't be convenient for most of the fans. I suspect that the definition of convenient for most will be to be able to drink their beer in their own seats. The beer garden was only created for the purpose of appeasing the state legislature. The real goal is and always has been to be able to sell alcohol in the premium seats. This is just another example of politics gone awry.

Basic understanding of the English language. The law doesn't require the U to serve alcohol. It only allows the U to serve alcohol in the suites if they have make it available to everyone, and leaves the means up to the Regents. The law says that it has to be convenient, but doesn't define what is convenient.

I agree. Convenience will be secondary, if not the last place priority. The "beer garden," or as I would like to see it called "The Groper Hole," might be 20' X 20' with a maximum capacity of 50 and under the bleachers on the bowl end. $12-15 beers. No TVs.

FYI, I'm not for or against...

I agree with the majority of your quote. I do not have kids, so I don't have that concern. I love having a few drinks before and after the game, but I guess I don't ever feel the need to pay $7-$10 for an alcoholic drink during the game. I admit I've walked into TCF Bank Stadium tipsy a few times, but never once did I feel cheated for not being able to buy a beer at the game.

Although, I often thought that the Vikings games have more of a "college" atmosphere than Gopher games do. I think this has been slowly changing since we moved to The Bank.

I agree. Convenience will be secondary, if not the last place priority. The "beer garden," or as I would like to see it called "The Groper Hole," might be 20' X 20' with a maximum capacity of 50 and under the bleachers on the bowl end. $12-15 beers. No TVs.

FYI, I'm not for or against...

Well, I don't think it would be that inconvenient. Some people will find a beer garden inconvenient, but I don't think they would have much of a case if they were to sue. It doesn't have to be as convenient as a beer man walking up and down the aisles.

Our policy towards alcohol as a country is pretty rediculous (debate for another time), a tacky beer garden to prevent an extremely price elastic group from buying $8 beer doesn't make much sense. More alcohol intake in that stadium by college age students (either of age or not) is going to be consumed via flask even if beer is sold at the concession stands.

Our policy towards alcohol as a country is pretty rediculous (debate for another time), a tacky beer garden to prevent an extremely price elastic group from buying $8 beer doesn't make much sense. More alcohol intake in that stadium by college age students (either of age or not) is going to be consumed via flask even if beer is sold at the concession stands.

Hey, it's a Minnesota tradition to order a coke at the concession stand and tell the vendor "heavy on the ice, and only fill it 3/4 of the way". The old Nicholas Liquors in Stadium Village used to sell out of Canadian Club every Saturday before a game at Memorial stadium.

I am not a lawyer, but the wording doesn't seem very clear. It refers to the "general public", which I assume means "the people not in suites", but really the entire stadium is open to the general public. It's not like the suites are exclusive, which is why the law is stupid to begin with, so "general public" seems like a poor choice of words.

umm...I think this is the problem RR...

Really? passing legislation is beyond the scope of the legislature?

Really? passing legislation is beyond the scope of the legislature?

I said nothing of the sort. The state legislature does not have absolute authority to legislate, they are limited by the Constitution. If the legislature passed a law saying that all books had to be approved by the government, that would be an example of the legislature overstepping its authority. The Minnesota Constitution gives autonomy to the University of Minnesota, the legislature is overstepping its authority in attempting to micromanage where the U allows alcohol. If the U challenged this in court, the U would likely win, but the legislature would likely retaliate. If the regents decide to have a beer garden, then the point is moot, of course. But it doesn't actually mean the legislature had the authority to micromanage the U's alcohol policy.

Top Bottom