Hooray! "Amateurism" Takes a Blow

Gopherguy0723

Reaction score
"Today's settlement is a game-changer because, for the first time, student-athletes suiting up to play this weekend are going to be paid for the use of their likenesses," said Eugene Egdorf, a Houston-based lawyer who litigated on behalf of the former college players. "We view this as the first step towards our ultimate goal of making sure all student-athletes can claim their fair share of the billions of dollars generated each year by college sports."

http://espn.go.com/college-football...a-sports-stop-producing-college-football-game

I bet Delaney loves this. I almost hate to say it, but I told you this day was coming. We aren't there yet, but the NCAA is losing. It is only a matter of time until the rule of law is restored to the NCAA.

I know there are some on this board that thinks the scholarship they "voluntarily" take is compensation enough for student athletes and if they don't like it, they can go play football in Canada or something...but the simple truth is that if the document these kids were signing said we are going to pay you $50k per year in benefits and we are going to generate roughly $300k from your efforts on average, and if you are a star player, more like $3 million that these kids might not be so inclined to sign their rights away.

Don't think for a minute that when Texas A & M said they raised $740 million last year and attributed hundreds of millions to the success of their football team and specifically Johnny Football that it didn't ripple through the amateur sports world.

This is exactly why the NCAA needs to address the issue. And based on Delaney's comments, it looks like they realize it. Both sides of the issues have legitimate points, and the issue is complex. A true minor league or development league for the NFL and NBA probably serves the purposes of the NCAA the most, however, I do not see an easy way to establish this. What motive does the NBA or NFL have to do it? It almost has to be an outside party - and who would take on that risk? There is huge potential for failure. As others have stated, a large portion of the revenue is derived from fan's dedication to the institution itself.

This is exactly why the NCAA needs to address the issue. And based on Delaney's comments, it looks like they realize it. Both sides of the issues have legitimate points, and the issue is complex. A true minor league or development league for the NFL and NBA probably serves the purposes of the NCAA the most, however, I do not see an easy way to establish this. What motive does the NBA or NFL have to do it? It almost has to be an outside party - and who would take on that risk? There is huge potential for failure. As others have stated, a large portion of the revenue is derived from fan's dedication to the institution itself.

A way to establish it might be to make the ACT/SAT admission standards the same as they are for the rest of the student population. It would likely weed out a lot of guys and force the NFL's hand into doing something with players having no alternative.

I know there are some on this board that thinks the scholarship they "voluntarily" take is compensation enough for student athletes and if they don't like it, they can go play football in Canada or something...but the simple truth is that if the document these kids were signing said we are going to pay you $50k per year in benefits and we are going to generate roughly $300k from your efforts on average, and if you are a star player, more like $3 million that these kids might not be so inclined to sign their rights away.

This is how employment works at every job in a capitalist systems. Employees are paid a salary and that salary is expected to generate a return for their employer. For example, if you obtain employment in Fiber Optics at 3M and develop a patent, you could potentially generate a return, that far exceeds all the revenue generated in College football. Yet, you'd only be paid the 70-80k stipulated by your employment agreement.

Overall there was roughly 10.6 Billion Revenue Generated by College athletics. To make that money required 10.5 billion in expenses. That 100 Million in profit. There are roughly 420,000 student athletes. So 100,000,000/420,000 is about $238 per athlete in compensation available. Of course, there won't be quite an equitable distribution of money, but it does highlight the lack of available money across the system to make a meaningful payment system.

If you paid only D1 football players that's $4,801 per player. Yippee. Of course basketball players would be mad, because they generate higher margins. Unfortunately, there are a lot of those guys. Given the current system profit available, the total sinks to 3.9k, darn, that sucks.

Current US law recognizes them (scholarship athletes) as compensated, but gives an exclusion (code section 17 I believe) that alleviates the tax burden, because athletic scholarships are not considered "compensation for services." Any change made by courts would immediately create income for all athletes on scholarship and the total would then be added to there gross income for the year in question. Imagine getting a scholarship, then having to pay the tax in cash. better start signing some freaking autographs, hope you don't suck.

The main problem with the "pay the kids' crowd is they do not understand the economic model that generates all that dough. Economics on a basic level, is the study of incentives and resource allocation. There are several types; one is to pay someone in monetary terms (think NFL) and another is to motivate people based on intrinsic pride, work ethic, and the like (college football). Psychologists and economists will note most people are actually motivated better by recognition and respect.

This model is how the college athletic system was built. The NFL style model if applied, would destroy that system, completely. If you pay the kids a paltry sum, they just won't try that hard. At least not enough of them to keep a comparable product on the field. Ultimately, less will play and less will be developed for the NFL. The quality will drop substantially. Since scarcity is not introduced, like it is built into the pro sports teams, salaries will remain low. Actually, since the market is perfect competition, they will likely be lower than the numbers presented above.

There are far more unintended consequences... Of course, we can still hope the NCAA simply points to tradition. The law frequently recognizes economic traditions to uphold established institutions.

This is how employment works at every job in a capitalist systems. Employees are paid a salary and that salary is expected to generate a return for their employer. For example, if you obtain employment in Fiber Optics at 3M and develop a patent, you could potentially generate a return, that far exceeds all the revenue generated in College football. Yet, you'd only be paid the 70-80k stipulated by your employment agreement.

Overall there was roughly 10.6 Billion Revenue Generated by College athletics. To make that money required 10.5 billion in expenses. That 100 Million in profit. There are roughly 420,000 student athletes. So 100,000,000/420,000 is about $238 per athlete in compensation available. Of course, there won't be quite an equitable distribution of money, but it does highlight the lack of available money across the system to make a meaningful payment system.

If you paid only D1 football players that's $4,801 per player. Yippee. Of course basketball players would be mad, because they generate higher margins. Unfortunately, there are a lot of those guys. Given the current system profit available, the total sinks to 3.9k, darn, that sucks.

Current US law recognizes them (scholarship athletes) as compensated, but gives an exclusion (code section 17 I believe) that alleviates the tax burden, because athletic scholarships are not considered "compensation for services." Any change made by courts would immediately create income for all athletes on scholarship and the total would then be added to there gross income for the year in question. Imagine getting a scholarship, then having to pay the tax in cash. better start signing some freaking autographs, hope you don't suck.

The main problem with the "pay the kids' crowd is they do not understand the economic model that generates all that dough. Economics on a basic level, is the study of incentives and resource allocation. There are several types; one is to pay someone in monetary terms (think NFL) and another is to motivate people based on intrinsic pride, work ethic, and the like (college football). Psychologists and economists will note most people are actually motivated better by recognition and respect.

This model is how the college athletic system was built. The NFL style model if applied, would destroy that system, completely. If you pay the kids a paltry sum, they just won't try that hard. At least not enough of them to keep a comparable product on the field. Ultimately, less will play and less will be developed for the NFL. The quality will drop substantially. Since scarcity is not introduced, like it is built into the pro sports teams, salaries will remain low. Actually, since the market is perfect competition, they will likely be lower than the numbers presented above.

There are far more unintended consequences... Of course, we can still hope the NCAA simply points to tradition. The law frequently recognizes economic traditions to uphold established institutions.

You realize some of the the NCAA's practices are illegal, right? That is why they will have to pay for using likenesses of players. They will also have to allow the players the ability to market themselves for money when the NCAA is told so by a judge.

The players can make money without a formal salary or wage. You simply have to cut them in whenever the NCAA or school uses their likeness and allow them to profit off of their name by signing autographs, public appearances, and such.

The market will simply have to change. This happens all the time. It will change lots of things, as you note, but the current practices by the NCAA are completely unacceptable.

Well, the clock is ticking for our Gophers to give us some final good memories. Once we start paying college athletes, our program will cease to exist in any meaningful way.

the current practices by the NCAA are completely unacceptable.
I agree. The NCAA should become more stringent on academic fraud and questionable admission standards by teams, they should be merciless in punishing coaches, players, and institutions that don't follow the rules. The NCAA has allowed far too much to take place outside the confines of amateur sports, and needs to go back to student first and athlete second.

Boy I can see both sides of this one. However,the risks are huge. The "amateur" model huge and a misstep here potentially disastrous. The old adage may apply: Be careful, you might get what you wish for. I'd slow this train down a bit and try to see all the hazards before piling more wood in the boiler.

I have said many times in the past that we'll see a "super conference" by 2020 for the top 25 (or so) revenue generators in college football. Players on these teams will be compensated and have their own playoff system much like the NFL. My prediction is that Ohio State, Michigan and possibly Penn State, Michigan State, Wisconsin or Nebraska will be among them...The remainder of the schools (like Minnesota) will battle amongst themselves for traditional bowl berths and playoffs.

Somewhat off subject, I think I am more dissapointed in the discontinuation of the EA Sports 'NCAA' franchise. I fricken' loved that game. :(

Somewhat off subject, I think I am more dissapointed in the discontinuation of the EA Sports 'NCAA' franchise. I fricken' loved that game. :(

We can still continue to play it, and people can create new rosters and schedules in future years. Of course, it means an end in development, so we'll get no new features. I don't have time to play online (I barely have the free time to play offline), but I suspect EA won't continue to maintain their servers for a game they no longer make.

I had hoped that EA would have continued to make a college football game, but with generic teams, allowing people to upload user-created teams, conferences and schedules.

The NFL needs to add a developmental league, for players who don't want college or who aren't cut out for college. The league could play in the summer, when there was little other sports going on except for baseball. Let players have the same options that baseball players do: take a college scholarship or go through the minor league path. Let the NFL pay for their own player development.

We can still continue to play it, and people can create new rosters and schedules in future years. Of course, it means an end in development, so we'll get no new features. I don't have time to play online (I barely have the free time to play offline), but I suspect EA won't continue to maintain their servers for a game they no longer make.

I had hoped that EA would have continued to make a college football game, but with generic teams, allowing people to upload user-created teams, conferences and schedules.

The NFL needs to add a developmental league, for players who don't want college or who aren't cut out for college. The league could play in the summer, when there was little other sports going on except for baseball. Let players have the same options that baseball players do: take a college scholarship or go through the minor league path. Let the NFL pay for their own player development.

I here what you are saying, and I agree. I just don't know if it would ever work. I just can't see the NFL, or NFL teams for that matter, dumping all that money into a D-league for development. Even though, to me and many others, it would make complete sense.

I here what you are saying, and I agree. I just don't know if it would ever work. I just can't see the NFL, or NFL teams for that matter, dumping all that money into a D-league for development. Even though, to me and many others, it would make complete sense.

Economically there is no incentive for the NFL to create a league as long as the NCAA continues providing that service at no charge. If the NCAA tightened academic standards and enforced them, some of the top talent wouldn't be admitted to schools and then we might see some change.

Economically there is no incentive for the NFL to create a league as long as the NCAA continues providing that service at no charge. If the NCAA tightened academic standards and enforced them, some of the top talent wouldn't be admitted to schools and then we might see some change.

Yep. You pretty much hit the nail on the head there.

Perhaps a D-league would have to be started independently of the NFL. If people thought they could make money from a minor league, perhaps it could happen. Does anything forbid a minor league from signing players right out of high school?

Perhaps a D-league would have to be started independently of the NFL. If people thought they could make money from a minor league, perhaps it could happen. Does anything forbid a minor league from signing players right out of high school?

I doubt it. The only stipulation I can think of is a player has to be out of HS for 2 years before they could enter the NFL or something like that. (Correct me if that's wrong, someone, as the language I used may be incorrect..)

Bull. There are other leagues for baseball and hockey today, the latter of which doesn't enjoy nearly the popularity, following, and youth enrollment as football. And yet athlete enrollment standards for these sports is no different by school or NCAA rules than for football or basketball. The NFL could absolutely create a league that pays players $25-50k per season, allows them to use/retain their likeness, market themselves, and everything else. Or they could pay more, or whatever the "market rate" for a player is (aka whatever is profitable for them to do). Beyond that, why does the NFL have to be the one to create a league? Couldn't the CFL or any other org like the XFL become a league that concentrates its efforts on being a feeder system to the NFL? Cherry pick Jucos, young stars in the college ranks, high schoolers, and foreigners and develop/market them? Create an agreement with the NFL and create ties from each team to a pro equivalent (just like baseball and hockey...) where the NFL can call players up or send them down for more development?

Football the most popular sport in the United States, and I'd put basketball behind it, tied with or slightly behind baseball (total revenue is $5b vs $7b). There's no reason a minor league system outside the ranks of college sports couldn't survive and offer kids coming out of high school the option to go play and get professional development and individual marketing exposure vs. playing for a school on scholarship and receiving an education. I would imagine that in this scenario, the big football and basketball programs (or at least the major conferences) would remain, with the secondary conferences and FCS schools not having as much to offer kids. A lot of programs would become less "profitable" - ie the amount paid to coaches/staff would go down, tv revenues might dip without as big of a total viewer market (fewer teams). But looking at the college hockey and baseball programs, there are still plenty of revenue-generating, big-time programs out there with massive following, and there's no reason to think that wouldn't still be the case for football/basketball. Amenities for players and arenas might drop, and become more akin to a minor league program (is there something wrong with this?).

The biggest downer I see is all the mid-level to FCS schools where football brings in far more money than it spends (even at lower amounts) will no longer be able to subsidize other non-rev sports. That's a shame.

Or, we could just have the NCAA put a cap on how much the school spends on coaches and facilities for the revenue-sports to 1) equal the playing field a little, and 2) ensure the sports' role as "amateur."

Just the threat that the NFL/NCAA will try to sue them out of existence. Very deep pockets...

That being said, I don't understand why the UFL doesn't take that approach now that they've been struggling financially. Could be the shot in the arm they need. Make the decision to be a minor league (you'll never be anything else) and sign the top high school talent.

That said, even if all 9 teams (last I saw) cut all their players and signed high school seniors tomorrow you're talking 450 players vs. well over 1000 schools (NAIA+NCAA D1-DIII) that will sign anywhere between 10 and 35 kids (counting walkons) each. Doesn't really solve anything for those kids.

Just the threat that the NFL/NCAA will try to sue them out of existence. Very deep pockets...

That being said, I don't understand why the UFL doesn't take that approach now that they've been struggling financially. Could be the shot in the arm they need. Make the decision to be a minor league (you'll never be anything else) and sign the top high school talent.

That said, even if all 9 teams (last I saw) cut all their players and signed high school seniors tomorrow you're talking 450 players vs. well over 1000 schools (NAIA+NCAA D1-DIII) that will sign anywhere between 10 and 35 kids (counting walkons) each. Doesn't really solve anything for those kids.

I don't see what basis the NCAA or the NFL would have to sue if no law is broken. The NCAA might well welcome such a league, it would ease the pressure on the NCAA if players could choose to go pro. If there were a minor league, they could choose from the best prospects - the ones making the most fuss about wanting to be paid. You could have more then one level of minor leagues, just like baseball has more than one level. These 9 teams would be more like the equivalent of AAA baseball.

The problem is how to make sure that money earned by student athletes is on the up and up. Right now the NCAA makes it work by not allowing anything...but that won't pass muster.

As so many folks seem forced to reply to my post about how employment works (like I haven't employed 100 plus at my company and don't know how employment works) but they seem to forget that if I want to lock up my employees from other income sources (which I have done with my programmers, developers and graphic folks - as in I own all work while you work for me) I have to contract for that and show consideration for that. The issue with the NCAA is that they claimed ownership for those other income streams but never provided compensation for it.

They claimed the scholarship satisfied that compensation but federal courts disagreed (as did I). The NCAA has to stop thinking they own athletes.

The problem is how to make sure that money earned by student athletes is on the up and up. Right now the NCAA makes it work by not allowing anything...but that won't pass muster.

As so many folks seem forced to reply to my post about how employment works (like I haven't employed 100 plus at my company and don't know how employment works) but they seem to forget that if I want to lock up my employees from other income sources (which I have done with my programmers, developers and graphic folks - as in I own all work while you work for me) I have to contract for that and show consideration for that. The issue with the NCAA is that they claimed ownership for those other income streams but never provided compensation for it.

They claimed the scholarship satisfied that compensation but federal courts disagreed (as did I). The NCAA has to stop thinking they own athletes.

Yes, if the NCAA and member schools were using profits from their players likeness and skill to pay out shareholders or owners, I'd agree with you. As it stands, the money that comes in largely goes to fund other sports that otherwise would require taxpayer and/or general student body/donor subsidies. More than likely they would simply be cut. In the rare instance of certain football powerhouses, the AD earns more than it spends and money funnels back in to the school's general fund, lowering liability for tuition and taxpayer contributions (for state-funded schools).

That ESPN and other networks profit off the games being played is complete immaterial. The university (a non-profit institution) gets paid for the school's (and therefor student athletes') image, likeness, etc. Heck, one could absolutely argue that the revenue sports' athletes get a much better deal in terms of comfort, clothing, facilities, food, etc thanks to said revenue. But the reality is that just because people are willing to pay to watch a team play on TV or in-person doesn't mean that the athletic department on the whole isn't still a non-profit or that they're keeping these kids from pursuing other athletic options after high school.

I'm all on board with capping things like coach pay, facilities spend, or any other item that someone could point to in saying that the spending situation is out of whack and players deserve some of it. But making it for-pay play will create an even bigger imbalance between haves and have-nots and begs the question of their place within an athletic department and university that are not for profit.

This is not the case at any company or University where I've worked, and it actually creates an interesting paradigm for college athletes.

If you work in R&D you will usually have some sort of intellectual property incentive program, either a lump sum bonus for a patent award and/or a small percentage of royalties or licensing fees from the IP. This is fair even if the company makes billions because presumably, you wouldn't be able to develop that IP beyond just an idea without the resources the company provides.

College athletes agree to a scholarship award covering their basic needs, and have to agree to take not a single penny from anyone except their family, lest they get "fired" from NCAA eligibility.

The equivalent paradigm is that the student-athlete would not be a superstar generating endorsement money without the infrastructure of the University, the athletic department and so forth. That is, unless they were able to go straight to the NFL, but I digress. So you could have a paradigm where NCAA athletes could get a trust as someone else mentioned, based on a percentage of revenue they generate.

Alternatively, they could fund a flat stipend program for all players from a percentage of revenue generated from their likenesses. That would be more egalitarian and seems like it would preserve the amateur spirit of the sport. I'm afraid it will become more circus like if they allow the Johnny Footballs to rake in money so disproportionately. Imagine these college kids living in penthouse apartments off campus, driving $80K cars to practice, doing postgame in $3000 suits and such. I realize some rich kids have this in college anyway, but that's not the point. I guess if you go back to the idea of a trust which would limit access to the money while still in school, that would help.

This alone is my biggest reason for opposing the whole "pay these athletes" argument. The NCAA is already ass backwards in their enforcement of the rules they supposedly enforce. Paying these kids would, imo, open a Pandora's box of corruption that will make today's college football cesspool look like child's play. And the NCAA in its current form would likely do as little as possible to curb it, much like it already does. If we're serious about paying these athletes, then the entire system needs to be overhauled. The penalties need to be much much harsher. And they need to enforced almost ruthlessly. Maybe an independent firm in charge would be the way to go. Otherwise, I fear we will have never seen corruption like we will in coming years.

Yes, if the NCAA and member schools were using profits from their players likeness and skill to pay out shareholders or owners, I'd agree with you. As it stands, the money that comes in largely goes to fund other sports that otherwise would require taxpayer and/or general student body/donor subsidies. More than likely they would simply be cut. In the rare instance of certain football powerhouses, the AD earns more than it spends and money funnels back in to the school's general fund, lowering liability for tuition and taxpayer contributions (for state-funded schools).

So, since that money is being used to give other kids free tuition the student who's likeness generated that revenue isn't entitled? Are you kidding? That is like saying a church can use MJs likeness to raise money and he isn't entitled to any because they used the money to feed homeless people. It simply doesn't matter what the money is used for...the schools and NCAA used their likeness without permission or compensation and they have to pay. (See court ruling if you are confused as to whether this is rule of law or not)

So, since that money is being used to give other kids free tuition the student who's likeness generated that revenue isn't entitled? Are you kidding? That is like saying a church can use MJs likeness to raise money and he isn't entitled to any because they used the money to feed homeless people. It simply doesn't matter what the money is used for...the schools and NCAA used their likeness without permission or compensation and they have to pay. (See court ruling if you are confused as to whether this is rule of law or not)

He doesn't get it. There is no gray area. The money must go to the players. The NCAA can't take that money and use it for the own good deeds under any circumstances. They can't abrogate your rights because they want to put it to good use. The law doesn't work like that.

People can't merely disagree and allow the NCAA to keep the players' money. I don't get how people don't understand the NCAA has been screwing the players for decades, only to make excuses for the NCAA. The NCAA HAS BEEN MORALLY WRONG BY TAKING MONEY RIGHTFULLY AND LAWFULLY OWED TO THE PLAYERS FOR DECADES! How can people defend the NCAA's position at all?

We'll see how this all pans out. College football needs to be held accountable and have legal approaches to dealing with likeness. College football also needs to hold coaches accountable and find a way to penalize them for breaking the rules. Regarding the paying of players, the universities won't really be budging on that - but I'm guessing there will be future freedom for players to earn money from self promotion.

But this money from self promotion has been a concern. And the concern is not regarding an individual's ability to have greater income - no, not at all. The concern is over unchecked donor involvement. Perhaps people, including myself, are blowing this fear out of proportion. We want to see B1G Ten football traditions continue, in some way, as they have. And smaller FBS schools want the opportunity to beat those big schools, or, by some miracle, get to be a top twenty program. Does widespread donor money make those opportunities more or less likely? Perhaps things won't really change... but I'm not sure.

Wow.

The market has talked and these players are worth more than their scholarships. They are getting money and extra benefits voluntarily from other people for playing sports. It's already happening, it just happens to violate the NCAA rules. It was a financial coup for USC to have Reggie Bus on their squad and the market determined that it was so valuable to them that they paid (or allowed others to pay) him more than the scholarship.

"Let the market dictate their worth" is exactly what the NCAA is afraid of, they don't a market and they don't want this system to have any capitalist aspects. Which is fine, depending upon where you stand on the issue. However, you can't make a capitalist argument SUPPORTING the NCAA.

As far as taxing athletes for scholarships. . . good luck! They'd have to tax the millions of students on all different kinds of scholarships every single year.

The neat thing about letting players get money from sources outside of the school, is that we no longer have to concern ourselves about whether or not programs are paying players under the table. We all joke or become upset about it, but it has been clearly happening for a long long time. That said, I still fear the potential juggernaut results of such a thing. But oh, how much more sweet the upsets would be.

Top Bottom