Home field advantage?

Great Plains Gopher

Reaction score
Maybe it's my imagination, but I detect a home field advantage - missing for 27 years. Gophers are fighting back and the crowd is in it. We'll see what happens in the second half, but maybe "our house" is registering again as it did in Memorial.

Maybe it's my imagination, but I detect a home field advantage - missing for 27 years. Gophers are fighting back and the crowd is in it. We'll see what happens in the second half, but maybe "our house" is registering again as it did in Memorial.

No doubt...watching on ESPN and it's clear that its loud...wish i was there

You can definitely "feel" the Atmosphere, it's weird, I can't believe this is a Minnesota home game........

The only depressing part is the shot of the student section at kickoff. Just like last week, it wasn't even close to full. Maybe we should take away a section or two from the students and start giving them to people on the season ticket waiting list. Come on students, get it together. Gopher football should be an event.

The only depressing part is the shot of the student section at kickoff. Just like last week, it wasn't even close to full. Maybe we should take away a section or two from the students and start giving them to people on the season ticket waiting list. Come on students, get it together. Gopher football should be an event.

They might've been stuck in line waiting to get in like last week.

It does sound loud. Outside of OSU and PSU, it doesn't sound like a typical Big Ten stadium. Man I wish I was there. Is the band even there today? I can hear the Cal band but not ours. It was a mistake to tuck them down at the bottom of the student section.

It does sound loud. Outside of OSU and PSU, it doesn't sound like a typical Big Ten stadium. Man I wish I was there. Is the band even there today? I can hear the Cal band but not ours. It was a mistake to tuck them down at the bottom of the student section.

I was at the game last week in section 101, you couldn't hear the band at all. They need to play more music over the loud speakers to get the whole stadium into the game. Sweet Caroline anyone?

Really? I though it looked 80% full at kickoff. I've heard Iowa and Wisconsin fans complain about the same thing. You're right though...if it becomes a problem, they should take two sections away from the students and sell them to the public.

I was at the game last week in section 101, you couldn't hear the band at all. They need to play more music over the loud speakers to get the whole stadium into the game. Sweet Caroline anyone?

That's just pathetic :mad: We have a 300 piece marching band and people can't even hear them play. I don't know it it's the band itself, where they're sitting, or what. But I hope they move them out of that "band pit" for next year.

the announcer just said "i think the crowd's carrying them a bit". oh yeah... not quite a dome statement.

Well if you think about it the mic system in the stadium probably doesn't allow for the band to play through mics and speakers with a decent noise. There is always a large delay on the star spangled banner and one can presume that this would hold true if the band was playing into the mics. Imagine hearing the band play one thing and then two seconds later hear the same thing blaring through a loudspeaker. :cry:

Well if you think about it the mic system in the stadium probably doesn't allow for the band to play through mics and speakers with a decent noise. There is always a large delay on the star spangled banner and one can presume that this would hold true if the band was playing into the mics. Imagine hearing the band play one thing and then two seconds later hear the same thing blaring through a loudspeaker. :cry:

I don't think microphones are the answer either. I hope it's just the location of the band and not the band itself.

I don't think microphones are the answer either. I hope it's just the location of the band and not the band itself.

I would also take into account that is an open stadium so sound is not constantly recycled throughout the stadium via the teflon cover. Also being in a cement cage probably doesn't do the band any favors acoustically. The band didn't all of a sudden start playing softer this year, it's the environment in which the playing occurs; unfortunately mics aren't the answer at least with the current setup.

it was soooooooooooo much louder on third downs this game than the AF game. fans really stepped it up today. really loud

I would also take into account that is an open stadium so sound is not constantly recycled throughout the stadium via the teflon cover. Also being in a cement cage probably doesn't do the band any favors acoustically. The band didn't all of a sudden start playing softer this year, it's the environment in which the playing occurs; unfortunately mics aren't the answer at least with the current setup.

The band used mics in the dome. That's why they could be heard in every corner of the building. Our family had season tickets for years at the dome. I was there when they didn't mic the band and there were 100 less members. The "cement cage" (good term) is doing them no favors.

We kept it together in some tough times far better than we ever would in the dome.

Incredible electricity in the tv feed...crowd was incredible. I also noticed a very important thing this week that I did not vs. Air Force. The crowd actually restrained itself while our guys were in the huddle, and at the line calling plays on offense. We made it very rough on Cal, and the Big Ten opponents will find it no easier, you can be sure. Gotta get the band thing figured out...they are vital!

It's like that most places. A few students will always be late.

Also, a few students who were at the game have said in another thread that it was really packed in the lower deck. There were more fans down there than seats.

Just FYI, for noon games, Penn State's student section wouldn't fill up until about the start of the 2nd quarter. There are many reasons for this, but note that Minnesota is certainly NOT the only school with this "problem". It's only a real problem if those students don't show up at all.

Just so long as they keep showing up now that we're no longer undefeated.

I agree that something needs to be done to help the band's sound. Whether it's mics or something else, I don't know, but it's near impossible to hear much beyond the drumline.

As for the stadium atmosphere, I am a new student so I (perhaps luckily) never experienced games at the Metrodome. I have, however, been to many, many NFL games and have never gotten chills like I get every time we do the Minnesota chant after a TD. The Bank was electric when we tied it up in the 3rd quarter. Now if only our D could step it up and actually MAKE STOPS on 3rd down when the whole stadium is standing and cheering. :(

And about the student section - I wouldn't ever really expect it to fill up before an 11am game. Unfortunately.

you could hear the cal band because most of what they played involved bass drums. music with bass drums during the game seems to be severly lacking with the U of M band. how can the music director not know this and rectify it? his music selection is very annoying for a football game. the disco stuff at the half was lame. it is all flutes and clarinets and crap that you can barely hear in the stands.

we need to start writing emails to the band director to change up the music selection to more football appropriate stuff.

For the opener the student section was probably 90% full before the pregame band show was over, please stop complaining about the students not showing up, thus far this season has been way better attended than the past 10 seasons. The corners of the student section will not fill in until the U starts selling more tickets than technically we have seats, because the students really pack in tightly.

you could hear the cal band because most of what they played involved bass drums. music with bass drums during the game seems to be severly lacking with the U of M band. how can the music director not know this and rectify it? his music selection is very annoying for a football game. the disco stuff at the half was lame. it is all flutes and clarinets and crap that you can barely hear in the stands.

we need to start writing emails to the band director to change up the music selection to more football appropriate stuff.

It seems alot of the arrangements the band uses are more geared toward the indoor concert than shows on the field, why it seems to be this way I will never know.

It seems alot of the arrangements the band uses are more geared toward the indoor concert than shows on the field, why it seems to be this way I will never know.

There's only been one really good halftime band that I've ever experienced - that being Ohio State's. They played powerful, loud songs with a lot of brass and wowed the stadium (Beaver Stadium). The rest of the halftime band shows that I've seen have been nothing more than time fillers to keep fans from being entirely bored during halftime.

There's only been one really good halftime band that I've ever experienced - that being Ohio State's. They played powerful, loud songs with a lot of brass and wowed the stadium (Beaver Stadium). The rest of the halftime band shows that I've seen have been nothing more than time fillers to keep fans from being entirely bored during halftime.

Do you think the fans can hear the band in all corners of Ohio State's stadium? Are they that loud? I know it's a problem in Michigan.

I wonder if other Big Ten fans have problems hearing their marching band. Is ours that wimpy?

During the game.

I don't have a band answer other than. Mike them up to get some sound balance.

In 214- Cal's pepband was not a whisper on the wind

For halftime. The band needs to do more formations with approx half the band facing each sideline. The difference between have some facing the vistors bench and none facing the vistors bench? I'd say approximately is about 75% reduced sound with half the stadium ignored.

BTW Sweet Caroline?????-- THIS SONG SUCKS!!! At least that is what my bride thinks.

I agree

This student section kicks all kinds of crap out of, I dare say ALL other Student sections in the previous 6 years of student sections. As present at the dome.

The few pockets left in the corners of the section. Those bodies must be somewhere. . .

Does anyone know if the attendence is scanner clicks or tickets sold?

For the opener the student section was probably 90% full before the pregame band show was over, please stop complaining about the students not showing up, thus far this season has been way better attended than the past 10 seasons. The corners of the student section will not fill in until the U starts selling more tickets than technically we have seats, because the students really pack in tightly.

Not that I care, but what would you define as "more football appropriate" music? And how does having more "music with bass drums" translate into an increased volume overall?

Top Bottom