Hole Poll: What grade would you give the Gophers coaching in the Michigan game?

• A

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • B

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • C

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • D

Votes: 29 35.4%
  • F

Votes: 25 30.5%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

we looked unprepared and out classed. i went with an f

I was kind and went with D, but I wouldn't argue with an F. That fake punt attempt was atrocious. The defense looked ill prepared. The offense has lots of room to grow.

I was kind and went with D, but I wouldn't argue with an F. That fake punt attempt was atrocious. The defense looked ill prepared. The offense has lots of room to grow.
fake punt was there for a massive gain minus a missed Rush block. i get why they went, but interesting who they went with to run it

Why didn't we just kick off straight out of bounds? Would have worked better...

The coaches get a C from me for scheme and tactics. The F might come from defensive recruiting and player development but it’s way too soon to call that. As we saw in 2018 and even 2019 a defense can improve fast.

What i don't get is with all the athletes we have no one can punt more than 20 yards or kickoff more than squib kicks? Green does everything else on offense he can't punt?

What i don't get is with all the athletes we have no one can punt more than 20 yards or kickoff more than squib kicks? Green does everything else on offense he can't punt?

I didn’t get this. I was a marginal small high school kicker with a 37 yard career long, and even I could kick off to the 10-15 yard line.

There’s plenty of guys playing intramurals who can get off punts over 20 yards

The coaches get a C from me for scheme and tactics. The F might come from defensive recruiting and player development but it’s way too soon to call that. As we saw in 2018 and even 2019 a defense can improve fast.
The improvement then was in scheme because of the coaching change. The players were still the same. The improvement this year is going to take a whole lot longer as the scheme isn’t going to change. The players have to gain experience and improve.

How can we have only two punters on the roster in the first place?

How can we have only two punters on the roster in the first place?

I wouldn’t expect there to be more than two. I would expect a bunch of guys on the roster who could step in with the notice they had and do better. Anyone who has spent time around football practices knows punting is one of those things where good athletes are naturally good.

Placekicking is much more skill and craft but that wasn’t terrible last night.

I have a lot of confidence in this staff. There is a lot to fix. They’ll fix it. The future is bright for this program.

Like everyone I see this as a depth issue which takes time/years to develop. Maybe after 4 years we should have more depth than we do I don't know, including kickers. Michigan is a blue blood and they do have depth obviously and for years they can just plug and play a stud.

The other other issue is in practice, the scout team is nowhere near the speed of a team like that. Not even remotely close so the 1st team guys are not ready for athletes like Michigan and the speed they play the game. Shocking to everyone including the starters. Goes back to depth. Scout team better be a damn good group of athletes if you want to be ready for a game like that.

I went B.

I can fault PJ for any decision he made.
We were short on experience on the O-line and Defensively due to injury / health.

Like everyone I see this as a depth issue which takes time/years to develop. Maybe after 4 years we should have more depth than we do I don't know, including kickers. Michigan is a blue blood and they do have depth obviously and for years they can just plug and play a stud.

The other other issue is in practice, the scout team is nowhere near the speed of a team like that. Not even remotely close so the 1st team guys are not ready for athletes like Michigan and the speed they play the game. Shocking to everyone including the starters. Goes back to depth. Scout team better be a damn good group of athletes if you want to be ready for a game like that.

A school like Minnesota is always going to have some depth issue compared to blue bloods.

The only way you start to close that gap is if you go WI style where you get depth at the O-line and RB positions and just go with that. (Iowa does this too).

But you need a stout defense that plays mistake free and we didn't have that last night. Even healthy we aren't there defensively yet I would guess.

Top Bottom