Hole Poll: What grade would you give the Gophers coaches in big win over Nebraska?

Coaches grade?

• A

Votes: 31 34.4%
  • B

Votes: 53 58.9%
  • C

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Gave a B on that trick play call. It was a bad call that was poorly executed on top of it.

I’d give the OC a C-. I’d give the DC a B+. OC gets an F in the 2nd half. I’d give the head coach a B+.

Gave a B on that trick play call. It was a bad call that was poorly executed on top of it.
Especially when they were gashing them on the last 5 plays and the O line was getting lubed up. It was one of the dumbest calls I’ve ever seen. Just keep running it and play action pass and it’s probably 21-3 and possibly headed to a rout.

Especially when they were gashing them on the last 5 plays and the O line was getting lubed up. It was one of the dumbest calls I’ve ever seen. Just keep running it and play action pass and it’s probably 21-3 and possibly headed to a rout.
Yeah but trick plays tend to work best when teams don't expect them. I was ok with the call but it wasn't executed well.

I gave an A, but would have A- if it was a choice. I couldn't give a B because the D played an A+ game, and the O had a great first half and finished strong.

First half: A (except for that ill advised trick play)

Second half: C; I might be tempted to go lower but they made some right decisions

Overall: B

C+/B- defense gets an A. Need offense for all four quarters. Seems like they tried to sit on the lead.

B. Anything higher would have meant a 3 touch down win over the Huskers. Defense clearly not a C, kicking team not a C, punt team not a C. Trick play is a D. Have to give them something for creativity I guess. Culture over Culture is clearly an A! Averages out to a B.

Yeah but trick plays tend to work best when teams don't expect them. I was ok with the call but it wasn't executed well.

So, if a play is an okay call, but poorly executed, that's on the players, not the coaches. Right?

Head coach B
Special Teams B
DC A-, can't call a perfect game but IMHO, he
was in the right defense about 90% of the
time. Not to mention how he and his staff
was able to motivate a gassed team in
the 4th quarter.
OC D. got a B in the first half, but a F in the
second half. Used Morgan wisely in
1st half most of his passes under 25
yards, very efficient. 2nd half was
throwing the ball way to deep at the
start of the 3rd quarter, when that
didn't work went way to conservative
instead of going back to what was
effective in the first half

So, if a play is an okay call, but poorly executed, that's on the players, not the coaches. Right?
On both. Coach's job to prepare the players, players job to execute.

I gave us a "B" because we played had a "A" defensive performance the whole game and a "C" offensive performance. It seems like Nebraska came out of half time with a game plan that adjusted to what we were doing. It seems like we couldn't figure out their adjustments so just went to running the ball again. I don't think our offensive game planning is on par with what our defense is doing right now. I don't think this is talent or execution issue. I really think our game plan offensively is hurting us as a team because we can't or won't adjust.

I gave us a "B" because we played had a "A" defensive performance the whole game and a "C" offensive performance. It seems like Nebraska came out of half time with a game plan that adjusted to what we were doing. It seems like we couldn't figure out their adjustments so just went to running the ball again. I don't think our offensive game planning is on par with what our defense is doing right now. I don't think this is talent or execution issue. I really think our game plan offensively is hurting us as a team because we can't or won't adjust.
Offensive plan improving. Still far inferior to defensive coaching. Sanford had a great plan for 29 minutes. Taking a knee with a minute left in half with time outs in hand was stupid and set the stage for a stagnant third quarter.

Before taking a knee we had an offense singing like Bob Seger and The Silver Bullet Band. Morgan perfect, minus a Wright drop, CRAB in a zone, and O line working as a machine. You drive 45 yards, add three points, and send Frosties to the locker knowing we own them.

Of course we know Fleck made that call.

Offensive plan improving. Still far inferior to defensive coaching. Sanford had a great plan for 29 minutes. Taking a knee with a minute left in half with time outs in hand was stupid and set the stage for a stagnant third quarter.

Before taking a knee we had an offense singing like Bob Seger and The Silver Bullet Band. Morgan perfect, minus a Wright drop, CRAB in a zone, and O line working as a machine. You drive 45 yards, add three points, and send Frosties to the locker knowing we own them.

Of course we know Fleck made that call.
I think eventually Fleck will become a bit more aggressive in those situations, but I think it will require a few more moments that hurt. He mentioned in his post-game presser today that he views the BG loss as a him being the worst coach he's been in 5 years and he needs to make sure that he is better. What does that translate to? Who knows, maybe it means he won't play as conservative in non-conference games, maybe something else.

If we have a few losses where we were clicking in the first half, ran the clock out, and then lost a 1 score game maybe he will start to not decide to let the clock run out. He's a young coach, and honestly I think a lot of great coaches learned those types of lessons the hard way. THe PJ Fleck of 5 or 10 years from now probably would coach this game differently than the PJ Fleck of today.

Nebby had a nice blitz called and it blew up the play. So some of it on the players for missing the blitz, but maybe they couldn’t pick it up given the play? I personally didn’t think it was a bad play call just a good defensive play.

Nebby had a nice blitz called and it blew up the play. So some of it on the players for missing the blitz, but maybe they couldn’t pick it up given the play? I personally didn’t think it was a bad play call just a good defensive play.
The point being is that the play call was completely unnecessary at that point. The O-line was playing their best game since Colorado. They had a very nice mix of pass and run and were gaining positive yards on EVERY play. That call (along with the poor decision to try a 50 yard FG) changed the momentum of the game and turned a blow-out into a competitive match. It let Nebraska back in the game. Zero reason for that call there.

Top Bottom