Hole Poll: What Grade Would You Give the Gophers 2014 Recruiting Class?

• A

Votes: 29 17.6%
  • B

Votes: 119 72.1%
  • C

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • D

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • F

Votes: 3 1.8%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

Solid B

Filled position of need with some good WR's, added a 5 star RB, a couple great TE's, a great C, and some good athletes. Points deducted for not being balanced on the defensive side of the ball in this class.

Pretty offense heavy. But the CB we stole from Iowa helps a lot. I'll say A-

B.

-Got Jones.
-WR was the biggest need and Kill got some good ones.
-Depth at QB was needed. McKinzy, Perra, and Krizancic are solid gets.
-Needed a DT. Got two good prospects; Richardson looks very promising.
-Missed some targets at OL and DB, but these are not positions of need. The staff appears to already be recruting the OL heavy next class.
-A little TE heavy, but the three look to be solid athletes.

Solid B

Filled position of need with some good WR's, added a 5 star RB, a couple great TE's, a great C, and some good athletes. Points deducted for not being balanced on the defensive side of the ball in this class.

Jones is a 5 star now?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to grade any higher than a B when Kill & Co missed out on 2 of 3 top in state recruits. Grabbing some PWO's that had D-1 offers is huge for depth.

At this point, you're grading on potential - which is very hard for the average fan to assess.

in 2 or 3 years, we should be able to start grading this class on performance - depending on redshirts, injuries, giant meteors striking the earth and other unexpected occurances.

Oops, OK borderline 5 star in Jones, but a 5 star in my heart and mind!!

I was going to say...I know he jumped up in the rankings but I didn't think he jumped that high. Didn't realize he was all the way up to fifth on the 247 list. Hopefully he gets his grades and ACT up...we've got an SEC caliber back in Jones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B. We were in on a lot of guys up until the end and I think we landed a bunch of guys who will be solid contributors. The staff works the whole country and I especially like that we are hitting the Deep South.

Same as every year "A". They chose The "U", so they are an "A" in my book.

I need to hear more about this meteor before I can...

I'd give it a C, which on my curve, is very good for the Gophers.

I like what Kill is doing. I firmly believe that we can crack the top half of the Big Ten in recruiting next season and beyond if we have another good year on the field next season.

I don't think you can really grade this class until Jones officially qualifies. If he gets in I would probably rank this class as a B if he doesn't it would slip down more to the C range on paper. Like others mentioned though you can't really judge a recruiting class for a few years when you get to see if guys can actually play.

Can't go A until we get a class in the top half of the conference. I went B and that is dependent on Jones qualifying.

I am going to give it an A…we got the All-American MVP, Jones, we got another All-American in Mayes, we stole Elmore from Wisky, we landed 60% of the Minnesota recruits we went after, we have 9 awesome PWO players, we needed WRs and we signed them. I don't look at our roster and say, "Oh no, we don't have any_____!" We built our defense, everyone complained about our offense and we answered with many, many solid offense players. Considering we don't have a strong football tradition at Minnesota, we have cold weather and we are far from the fertile recruiting grounds for most football players, we did wonderfully well. We did awesome.

I give it an A. I predict that this class will continue the upward trend.

I am pretty happy about this class. These are the type of classes that we are going to sign. We just aren't going to compete with the big boy helmet schools for kids that aren't from Minnesota. We need to find kids that would be stars at the mid major level who have a little bit of a chip on their shoulder for being passed over by some of the big boys. Coach is building his program with players that match his personality. Under the radar bulldogs who will give everything they got to make this successful. Teams take on the personality of their coaches. We want kids who fight for their time. Not the kids who think they are entitled to it.

This class is a giant improvement over the previous classes in terms of the competing offers. I love the playmakers that we nabbed on offense. It's the biggest thing holding us back from taking the next step, we don't have many guys that can make a 12 yard run a 50 yard TD or take an 8 yard slant to the house.

The OL are right in the Jerry Kill mold. Ferguson is a Lauer clone (6'7" 265 lbs now, and he'll be 6'7" 300 lbs after he RSs). Weyler is the mauler that the staff likes inside and Connor Mayes speaks for himself. He is a great recruit.

I'm a bit worried about the DBs and it's the reason why I gave us a B instead of a B+. James looks legit and I imagine he'll be playing right away, but I thought this class needed 3 DBs.

I am pretty happy about this class. These are the type of classes that we are going to sign. We just aren't going to compete with the big boy helmet schools for kids that aren't from Minnesota. We need to find kids that would be stars at the mid major level who have a little bit of a chip on their shoulder for being passed over by some of the big boys. Coach is building his program with players that match his personality. Under the radar bulldogs who will give everything they got to make this successful. Teams take on the personality of their coaches. We want kids who fight for their time. Not the kids who think they are entitled to it.

I mostly agree, but there is no reason Minnesota cannot get recruiting results like Nebraska. Nebraska gets almost no talent from the state itself or the neighboring states, just like Minnesota. The only thing that keeps us from recruiting like them is tradition, and tradition can be built by winning.

Gave it a "B". It's a "Stud" quarterback away from an "A".

I mostly agree, but there is no reason Minnesota cannot get recruiting results like Nebraska. Nebraska gets almost no talent from the state itself or the neighboring states, just like Minnesota. The only thing that keeps us from recruiting like them is tradition, and tradition can be built by winning.

Yep, winning would definitely help. However, a lot of teams win for years without ever recruiting like the big time helmet schools. WI, as much as I hate them, have been very good for years now and they don't make as big of a splash on NSD as the helmet schools. I expect our recruiting to improve with winning, but it would take a long time for us to compete with the big boys in terms of recruiting.

Top Bottom