Hole Poll: What Grade Would You Give Phillip Nelson In His Return From Injury?

• A

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • B

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • C

Votes: 17 12.8%
  • D

Votes: 70 52.6%
  • F

Votes: 39 29.3%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

F. Probably a "D" as a QB but a "F" as a poised leader. He needs to lead this team and isn't doing it.

I have no confidence in his abilities at this point. Every time he throws, I just hope it does not lead to an int.

I gave it an F. His teammates were listless. His performance was lackluster. He did nothing to incite the team. No leadership, 2 interceptions, barely 50%, and no threat to run. It was an F.

Anything higher than a 'D' is absurd in my opinion. I vote 'F'. He missed big on two passes that could have been touchdowns, and on ~8 other passes that would have kept drives alive.

I gave him a D. If a C is considered average, he was definitely not average. Although he did make a few throws that impressed me. Would like to see a little of both QBs next week.

I gave it an F. His teammates were listless. His performance was lackluster. He did nothing to incite the team. No leadership, 2 interceptions, barely 50%, and no threat to run. It was an F.

Well then Husker" what grade do you give the coach. The Coach handed the kid the ball and said stay in there. And how good a grade do you think the other qb would have gotten if the coach had the smarts to go with the other qb?

Looks like the whole bunch of the coaches staff flunked...but...the coach is the guy who gave the kid the ball and told him to stay out there on the field when the coaches made NO adjustments and came up with NO answers as they collected their fat pay checks for doing nothing but let the kid take all the heat for their miserable performance as coaches.

What do you say Husker? How well did Coach Kill do? How well did the offensive coordinator do? How well did the defensive coordinator do?

Are we such cowards around here that we are willing to flunk the kids but NOT the coaches who get paid millions collectively. The coaches have ALL the power in this relationship. The coaches call the shots. Today the coaches FLUNKED and let the kids down.

It looks to me as though the coach and his staff really stunk the joint out today. They didn't, have any of the kids ready to play. Where was the game plan? I don't blame the kids. I put the blame squarely on the coach and his high paid staff who have all been together for so many seasons. They let these kids down today Husker. Come on man, be real about where the balme goes. Don't trash the kids. Trash the people who get the big bucks.

It's time to tell it like it is. The Coach and his staff have GOT TO STEP IT UP!

Blah, blah, blah

EQmtwYV.jpg

Wavered between the D and the F, but gave him a D. If line play had been better, it might have been a better performance. Very concerned about lack of poise, and passing accuracy even when he had adequate time. 'Deer in the headlights' seems an apt description. Very concerned...

Well then Husker" what grade do you give the coach. The Coach handed the kid the ball and said stay in there. And how good a grade do you think the other qb would have gotten if the coach had the smarts to go with the other qb?

Looks like the whole bunch of the coaches staff flunked...but...the coach is the guy who gave the kid the ball and told him to stay out there on the field when the coaches made NO adjustments and came up with NO answers as they collected their fat pay checks for doing nothing but let the kid take all the heat for their miserable performance as coaches.

What do you say Husker? How well did Coach Kill do? How well did the offensive coordinator do? How well did the defensive coordinator do?

Are we such cowards around here that we are willing to flunk the kids but NOT the coaches who get paid millions collectively. The coaches have ALL the power in this relationship. The coaches call the shots. Today the coaches FLUNKED and let the kids down.

It looks to me as though the coach and his staff really stunk the joint out today. They didn't, have any of the kids ready to play. Where was the game plan? I don't blame the kids. I put the blame squarely on the coach and his high paid staff who have all been together for so many seasons. They let these kids down today Husker. Come on man, be real about where the balme goes. Don't trash the kids. Trash the people who get the big bucks.

It's time to tell it like it is. The Coach and his staff have GOT TO STEP IT UP!

Looking at the rest of the board, I think the fans are willing to flunk the coaches and coordinators too for this game. I am not getting the impression that anybody is letting them off the hook either. That does not change the fact that Nelson played very poorly.

I thought he made some plays, actually I think he was better than I expected, they don't run a spread offense, how are you going to be effective in the passing game when your offense is based on having a conservative ball control running attack that never materialized, either change the offense or improve on the running game, as is not sure any quarterback could be successful.

He appeared to be guessing on the few read options we had. We talked at halftime, after a miserable first half performance, the coaching staff says, "no matter what happens with the first series, Mitch will play the second series."

How can you watch that first half and not roll Leidner in at all with the staffs propensity to play 2 QB's?

Well, bleedsmaroonandgold...

Looking at the rest of the board, I think the fans are willing to flunk the coaches and coordinators too for this game. I am not getting the impression that anybody is letting them off the hook either. That does not change the fact that Nelson played very poorly.

So you and your crew are going after each and every one of those players and coaches the blamers decide to hate on.

Bottem line is we got whipped yesterday. There are SEVEN...count 'em bleedsmaroonand gold...that's 7 Conference games left. This is pretty much the same thing that happened first conference game of the seasons last year. All it means is that Coach Kill, his staff and the team didn't grade out too well yesterday, but the season WILL go on. I am still thinking my Gophers will find a way to beg, borrow or steal a bowl game invitation. That will make it even more meaningful IF they get it done!

There will be some games when the running game WILL work. (Indiana just might be a very good candidate I am thinking. That leaves SIX...yes...6 additional chances for the Gophers to catch some lightening in a bottle and steal another win or two.

But, maroonandgoldhemopheliac: the games WILL go and and I am a great believer that you can NOT project what you saw yesterday into ALL the remaining games. Some just may be WORSE than yesterday's game. And...some just may be a little...or...quite a bit...or even a LOT better.
I just do NOT like to see a fan message board GANG UP and pick on a KID on my Golden Gopher Football Team. I say: if you want to gang up on somebody...gang up on the COACH, or hell yes, just go right ahead and gang up on me and my posts.

It is TOUGH to win conference games...damn tough. And too many of you people just do NOT "get it..."

And, when push comes to shove...if you start trying to get too tough on Coach Kill and his staff...you just may have the great opportunity to have the privilige to read some contrasts that will present the OTHER side of your cases against a coach who is doing a reasonable job of fighting against the odds here at one of the GRAVEYARDS of College Football Coaching institutions in what used to be called the Big Ten Conference.

The Kids are giving it their best. The coaches earn a hell of a lot of money. IF you have to trash someone...just go ahead and try to trash the coach. However, there WILL be contrasts designed to counter the trash you distribute re: the coach...and it won't be just my contrasts. There will be some OTHER commen sense postere here who "get" just how big a job..how tough a job...my Golden Gopher Football Coaching Job is...

The Iowa game wasn't so good, but the show WILL go on...I LOVE the fact that our young qb wanted the ball...took the ball and kept the ball when the coach decided he wanted that quarterback to have the ball all game long! The Coach is in charge and NO fans can do a darn thing about it. And all is good in the world when that is the case. The Coach is in charge. The fans are NOT in charge.

I get you sticking up for Kill, I like him too but not trying a switch at QB, especially when I read in the paper that the Coaches discussed it when we were struggling is indefensible to me and for the first time I'm doubting Kill's judgment. The problem is he made a vow to Nelson that if he signed here he'd play and that is now costing the TEAM, it's a TEAM game and Nelson doesn't deserve the long rope when he is coming off of injury and Leidner had been effective. You owe it to the TEAM to at least try and see if Leidner would have sparked, maybe...maybe not but the TEAM deserved the try.

the first series I give Limegrover an F for the 2 runs off tackle.

c not his fault the coaches kept calling run plays against a team u can't run against... he missed one easy touchdown late in the game... The must frustrating part was when he took sacks when he easily could have thrown the ball away on like 2 or 3 sacks.

c not his fault the coaches kept calling run plays against a team u can't run against... he missed one easy touchdown late in the game... The must frustrating part was when he took sacks when he easily could have thrown the ball away on like 2 or 3 sacks.

sacks were the worst part to me. you look at where and when he took them and they are devastating. he almost appears to have the mentality at times of don't make a mistake by throwing a pick so he settles for the sack. when in reality throwing the ball OB or into his RB's feet is a much better option. especially when the RB's are in the backfield blocking so often.

just saw this quote from the strib:

Asked if the hamstring affected him, he said: “Not really. Obviously I was just a little cautious at first, but once you get into the heat of the game, you just kind of forget about it.”

if this was how he felt going into the game, why was he starting??? fast starts in big games are huuuuuge especially at home. now i'm even more confused as to why he was in there.

Top Bottom