Hole Poll: What grade would you give Gophers coaching in big win over Maryland?

Grade for coaches?

• A

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • B

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • C

Votes: 14 10.7%
  • D

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

I told you guys all week how bad Maryland was.

But it's still nice to get an easy win.

The play calling to end the first half was atrocious! 43 seconds left in half, 1st down, ball on the 20 yard line and not even try for a touchdown is INEXCUSABLE. That type of stuff loses close games - I have little confidence in our OC.
That's on Fleck.

I like Fleck, all in. But I agree at times he's too conservative.

As much as I love the win, the horrible clock management and timeout usage is just inexcusable. Come on Sanford, do you have an aggressive bone in your body? That end of half fiasco was unbelievable. PJs timeouts are just odd. He just wastes them for no good reason.

That being said, our O-line and D-line were dominant at the line of scrimmage. A very nice win.

I'll go with a B. The end of the first half was comically bad. However, a blowout win in the end is hard to argue with.

Thank heaven for Fleck and staff.

I just don't feel Fleck/Sanford have figured out what they are doing on offense yet. They know our strong point is our O-line. They obviously don't trust our WR and/or QB. Something keeps them from being aggressive with the play calling in this area. There were multiple time today the safety's played up in 1st half challenging our team to pass. Many time they refused to do so, even when it was to our advantage. This is a strange year and it feels like we have a special team that is hindered by the staff's play calling.

As much as I love the win, the horrible clock management and timeout usage is just inexcusable. Come on Sanford, do you have an aggressive bone in your body? That end of half fiasco was unbelievable. PJs timeouts are just odd. He just wastes them for no good reason.

That being said, our O-line and D-line were dominant at the line of scrimmage. A very nice win.
There are plenty of good times to use a time out besides while running a two minute drill. I don’t care if he burns them to make sure he has a play call right in a crucial moment.

A They dominated a team that had two weeks to prepare on both sides of the ball doing exactly what they're built to do. The game plan was solid and the Gophers executed very well. All of that comes from solid coaching. Very early there were two dropped balls and things were starting to click with the running attack so they went to what was working and stuck with it all game. PJ is obviously a lot more comfortable running the ball, and I'm fine with it when they do it like they did today.

Ya, the end of the first half was maddening, but beat downs make me a happy and lenient grader.

It was an important Big Ten win. Game ball to the offensive line! Personally, I was pleased to have the running game pound the ball down Maryland’s throat to end the first half. I think that took a great deal out of their defense. Too bad about the field goal, but, I believe they broke Maryland’s defense spirit by pounding them to end the half.

The third quarter was more of the same. The o-line play was incredible!
Congratulations to the PLAYERS, Coach Fleck and the assistant coaches.

How I loved watching the Gopher offensive line totally demoralize the Maryland defense. I loved the play calling and the execution of the running game as it took Maryland’s desire to be in Minneapolis away!

I awarded an A to the team and Coach Fleck and his offensive and defensive assistants. And: I love all the kick-offs that allow NO returns! Excellent Big Ten win.

B...would have been an A except for the WTF end to the first half.
Good game for the majority of it. However I have to absolutely agree, what in the world were we doing at the end of the half?

Fleck is too young to be that conservative (last four and a half minutes of the first half). Otherwise, some level of A for the game. Even when running is working well we should do more passing to keep that aspect of the game sharp because we will need it against Iowa, Wisconsin, maybe somebody else in the mix.

I'll go with a B. The end of the first half was comically bad. However, a blowout win in the end is hard to argue with.

Thank heaven for Fleck and staff.
Perhaps the play calling is different if we don't get the ball to start the second half?
I also wonder if the staff's primary thought was to just not give Maryland the ball. In addition to the previous thought, I also wonder if they are trying to teach the team how to win tight games.

Just random thoughts.

Perhaps the play calling is different if we don't get the ball to start the second half?
I also wonder if the staff's primary thought was to just not give Maryland the ball. In addition to the previous thought, I also wonder if they are trying to teach the team how to win tight games.

Just random thoughts.
I think he said after the game that the fact that they were getting the ball in the second half played into it.

Offense - A
Defense - A
End of 1st half - F
Getting another QB experience - F

Gave the A for this one.

Maryland was wounded coming in for sure but the game plan and execution overall did not reflect our historic engagement with this team, which has been problematic at best. This one was recruiting, coaching, and player development coming together on a fine October afternoon at TCF.

We'll see but yesterday bodes well for the November long march, where similarly our historic engagement with the Teams to the South and East have been our barrier to next level success.

In the end, coaching is about preparing your team to win and giving them a solid game plan. It's not just about game day play calling. We executed a solid game plan and crushed them. It was almost boring. Easy A.

Fleck is too young to be that conservative (last four and a half minutes of the first half). Otherwise, some level of A for the game. Even when running is working well we should do more passing to keep that aspect of the game sharp because we will need it against Iowa, Wisconsin, maybe somebody else in the mix.
We have one loss on our record from him NOT being conservative. I imagine that haunts him everyday.

It would have been an easy A if it wasn't for the disaster at the end of the first half. B+

Had armature minutes not occurred, A

Top Bottom