Hole Poll: What grade would you give Gophers coaches in win over West Virginia?

Hole Poll: What grade would you give Gophers coaches in win over West Virginia?

• A

Votes: 48 33.1%
  • B

Votes: 80 55.2%
  • C

Votes: 16 11.0%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

Not going to enter a grade for the entire team.... Rossi and the defense get an A. The offensive line and running backs get an A.

Whoever was calling the plays and Morgan would kind of sully the overall team grade to a B- or C+. This game should have been over in the first 20 minutes.
Morgan did help drive us down field on those first two drives. That play call where he threw a near int I didn’t like. He took some sacks that he shouldn’t have, but otherwise he played fine. WRs didn’t help on a couple plays, including the int.

I voted B. Probably because the game was boring and somewhat frustrating with the bad field and lack of execution on some key plays on offense. After reading some of the good comments here, I'd change my vote back to A if I could. The defense was incredible. WVU has a decent offense and the Gophs D dominated them. The offense sputtered at times but pretty much dominated in TOP and scored enough to keep the game out of reach. They could have easily scored a TD at the end to make the score 25-6.

Morgan did help drive us down field on those first two drives. That play call where he threw a near int I didn’t like. He took some sacks that he shouldn’t have, but otherwise he played fine. WRs didn’t help on a couple plays, including the int.

We won, easily. Yes.

Badger or Iowa fan clearly voted F. Always those turds trolling. I give the Gophers a B only because of unlucky turnovers. Game never seemed in doubt.

Kind of a tough one to grade. I went with an A because the defense was spectacular and never let West Virginia get going and the running game had both backs over 7 yards a carry (at least until the last minute or two of the game, haven't checked the boxscore). I could see going with a lesser grade because of the offense only coming up with 18 points, but I think the staff decided to take the ball out of the QB's hands whenever possible ...which seemed like a wise decision to me. Not sure it falls under the category of coaching for this game, but it was also impressive that guys like Faalele, Mafe, and Big O all played in this game. I wouldn't blame the coaches if they chose not to play (nor the players if they chose not to), but I do think the environment the coaches foster plays a role in those guys choosing to play.

Ah yes. My bet is the most important thing in deciding if we played well. I forgot

Your whining is the most important thing. Call KFAN and bitch. Meatsauce. Barrierrio. Your soulmates.

"I won my bet, but I'm a Minnesotan, so I'm still disappointed." You can't even hear yourself.

Have to give an A as game was never in doubt, and the score would have been more lopsided without some bad execution, bad luck (MBS slip interception), and turnover trouble (Ky). Defense was dominant and disruptive, giving up what, a little over 200 yards and 6 points? The offense had an average output game but 249 yards rushing is pretty good; left some points on the field with the missed FG, fumble. It felt like the offense went into a pretty conservative shell (per M.O.) once it was established WVU could not consistently move the ball and that continued the entire second half. This wasn’t the offensive explosion we hoped to see, but the defensive demolition was pretty satisfying.

A for defensive coaching, C for offense.
Averages out to a B.

Which is just fine. Adds up to a W for the WVU championship season.

I voted B mainly because the offense left a lot of points off the board.

What I like about Simon’s play calling is that every time the offense seemed to be getting out of sync, he called plays to get them back on track. In those situations, Sanford seemed to keep calling the same type of playing hoping it would work.

A nice change and brings confidence to the team.

Your whining is the most important thing. Call KFAN and bitch. Meatsauce. Barrierrio. Your soulmates.

"I won my bet, but I'm a Minnesotan, so I'm still disappointed." You can't even hear yourself.
JHFC, chill. You're going to give yourself a coronary, after a WIN, FFS.

Here are the cold, hard facts:

The Gophers were, what... 5 point favorites? They won by 12 points. They ended the game running out the clock in friggin' victory formation in their opponents' red zone.

If that leaves you sad, distressed and/or disappointed, maybe you need a new hobby.

Not going to enter a grade for the entire team.... Rossi and the defense get an A. The offensive line and running backs get an A.

Whoever was calling the plays and Morgan would kind of sully the overall team grade to a B- or C+. This game should have been over in the first 20 minutes.
Big Dan scored the TD early in the second quarter so in terms of game clock, it was over in the first 20 minutes!

Here are the cold, hard facts:

The Gophers were, what... 5 point favorites? They won by 12 points. They ended the game running out the clock in friggin' victory formation in their opponents' red zone.

If that leaves you sad, distressed and/or disappointed, maybe you need a new hobby.
It is entirely possible to enjoy a win and still be subjective about an offense that can't effectively execute the forward pass. Just because some of us evaluate the offense through a different lense doesn't make it complaining.

You have to give them an A just for Daniel Fa'alele scoring a TD in his final appearance as a Gopher. That was the signature play of the Guaranteed Rate Bowl. He is a behemoth bowling ball knocking down Mountaineers like bowling pins. It has to be demoralizing for the Mountaineer Defense.

They played team ball and overcame the Sanford Jr. faux pas.

Last edited:

The offensive play calling was creative, especially in the first half. To have two running backs hit the 100 yd mark in the same game is amazing. Tanner didn’t look great, but he looked comfortable making throws. I’m looking forward to the 2022 season.

Offense B-
Defense A

In "defense" of our offense (see what I did there), I think a lot of our issues had to do with the totally crappy field conditions! For some reason it seemed like we had more problems with it than WV did. Either way, it favored the D.

Happy we won, but I still think we got screwed even being in this bowl. WV looked like they "desevered" this low a bowl, we should have/could have blown them out.

The offensive play calling was creative, especially in the first half. To have two running backs hit the 100 yd mark in the same game is amazing. Tanner didn’t look great, but he looked comfortable making throws. I’m looking forward to the 2022 season.

Yep.

We played FleckBall and executed it quite well.

We opened the game with a flurry of passes to keep them guessing, then switched gears and ran it down their throats. Once again, we had two backs go over 120 yards each. If the receiver doesn't fall down due to the hastily-installed turf, Morgan wouldn't have thrown the INT.

Workmanlike, efficient, effective.

I know some fans grumble about this, but you'd better get used to it:

Gophers win the total yardage contest by over 150 yards: 358 to 206.
Gophers win time of possession by more than an entire quarter: 38:29 to 21:31.

The Gopher offense controls the ball and keeps the opponents' offense off the field. The Gopher defense takes advantage of this by flying around, playing fast and confident, knowing the opponent will have a very limited number of possessions. And Minnesota, once again, ends the game by kneeling down in victory formation in the shadow of their opponents' own goal post. West Virginia never knew what hit them.

FleckBall.

Top Bottom