Hoke's job if he wants it

whoopie ding dong do. this does not get me excited. In fact, I am very disappointed.

Here is Doogie's tweet:

"Not breaking news... but one person in the know just emailed me to say that it's Hoke's job if he wants it. Working on more info."

Go Gophers!!

i would assume he is the guy coming in for another interview and possible announcement Monday. Brady Hoke is no Tubby Smith

should have waited a few weeks and wait for *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# to play out with current coaches getting canned IMO

Hoke:
Career record 38-46
Bowl games: 0-1

Uggggg

Hopefully this is just misdirection for 2 reasons: 1) I dont want Hoke, and 2) I really hope that we don't have someone with knowledge of this process leaking info to the media

Hoke:
Career record 38-46
Bowl games: 0-1

Uggggg

This is all one needs to know about this possible hire. I hope we aren't planning on paying him much. No mattter what, you don't over-pay somone with a losing record.

I'm not on the Horton bandwagon, but a potential HC has to excite me more than Horton does, or else why not hire Horton? I'm not sure if Hoke is above or below the Horton Divide.

This is Phil Steele's 2009 preview of San Diego State:

"The Aztecs have the solid advantage of playing in a major city and usually the recruiting classes are near the top of the conference, but amazingly they have not had a winning season since 1998! In Tom Craft's final year (2005), TCU's HC Patterson told his Frogs all week that the Aztecs were not a normal MWC team as they matched up with TCU in both size and speed. The Aztecs finished 4-4 in MWC play and lost to 3 teams that finished in the Top 15 (Ohio St, UCLA, TCU) but beat down 3 bowl teams (BYU, Utah, Colo St) by an average of 16.7 ppg. The key to their losing year was a midseason loss to a poor UNLV team. In Chuck Long's first year they had 13 returning starters but lost their QB in the opening game and their backup QB a few games later. Injuries and suspensions took a toll (18 players lost for year) and the team suffered 3 close losses dropping to 3-9, their worst record since 1983. SDSt was outgained by a league worst -89.2 ypg. They were almost the first team in school history to have 10 losses in a year and the offense averaged just 14.2 ppg. In 2007 I said they were at least a year away from having a winning record. The Aztecs did improve their win total to 4 but their victories came vs teams that were just 13-34. Thirty of SDSt's 79 recruits from 2002-'04 either DNQ or left for some other reason. While the Aztecs moved to 3-5 in the MWC they were -127 ypg (46.8 worse than #8). Last year they had just 79 scholarships at the start of the year and 11 returning starters. The Aztecs were then pummeled by injuries, especially on the D-line (7 had season ending injuries). The were upset by Cal-Poly in the opener and then were pounded by SJSt 35-10 (outgained 476-146). They did beat Idaho convincingly 45-17 but then lost their next 7. They were without QB Lindley vs Air Force but still led 10-7 at the half. Against WY they could only take 7 DL for the trip. They suffered their first 10 losses in school history but amazingly knocked UNLV out of a bowl game with an upset in the season finale. Last year's squad had just 10 seniors and 20 juniors. The Aztecs were -6 in TO's and had 3 net close losses. They were #20 in FBS starts lost to injury and would have ranked higher if backups were included. Brady Hoke steps into a great situation. Their 15 returning starters are 2nd most in the MWC and their 18 lettermen lost were the fewest. The coaching staff has great knowledge of the MWC as they bring in DC Rocky Long who was the HC at New Mexico. While the Aztecs only won 2 games last year they actually make my Most Improved List this year meaning I think they will be bowl eligible in Hoke's first season."

People credit Hoke with this great turnaround, but it was Chuck Long who spent three years pounding out the dents and installing a new engine. All Hoke had to do was turn the key.

I don't think it will be Hoke, and I will be really disappointed if it is.

That's kind of like saying it's Dungy's job if he wants it.

I'm tired of everyone throwing crap at the wall and waiting to see what will stick.

I'm tired of everyone throwing crap at the wall and waiting to see what will stick.
That's the nature of the media nowadays, everybody wants to be first.

Please no, we can do better. Can't we?

Hoke is a good coach who has the philosophy most on this board say they love. The book on him from those who know (coaching circles, analysts, etc.) is that we would be lucky to get him now because he will get a big time gig next year when more high-profile jobs are sure to open up. He has built and had success at two non-desirable 1-A schools, and as a defensive assistant at Michigan, he was widely regarded as an excellent coach and recruiter who not only got the kids there, but made them better.

Leach will not be hired, and Petersen/Peterson/Dungy/Harbaugh are not walking through that door. I like Mullen the best, but for all we know he wasn't just blowing smoke with his comment about not wanting to leave the SEC.

Don't knock Hoke because you don't know anything about him. I will be extremely excited if he is hired.

The book on him from those who know (coaching circles, analysts, etc.) is that we would be lucky to get him now because he will get a big time gig next year when more high-profile jobs are sure to open up.

I'm not totally against Hoke but this sounds similar to the book on Brad Childress before the Vikings hired him. "We better get him before someone else" doesn't carry much weight for me.

I know he has a losing record as a head coach at both Ball State and SDSU. Not saying he can't win here, I hope he can, I just had higher hopes, that's all. I hope you're right about him.

I have no opinion whatsoever on this guy.

Just hope he's better than what we've had.

I still think this is a cover for someone else though.

Again, I don't put much stock in this rumor, but many of us who really dislike this hire know quite a bit about Brady Hoke. I believe you can search my posts for a look at Hoke's tenure at Ball State if you're interested. There's also this misconception that Hoke is an "up and comer"...we'd be giving the job to a 52 year old who has not recruited against the big boys in a long time. This would be a Tubby Smith hire, if Tubby Smith was actually Dan Monson.

I'm not totally against Hoke but this sounds similar to the book on Brad Childress before the Vikings hired him. "We better get him before someone else" doesn't carry much weight for me.

I never heard that about Childress. I must not have been listening.

Again, I don't put much stock in this rumor, but many of us who really dislike this hire know quite a bit about Brady Hoke. I believe you can search my posts for a look at Hoke's tenure at Ball State if you're interested. There's also this misconception that Hoke is an "up and comer"...we'd be giving the job to a 52 year old who has not recruited against the big boys in a long time. This would be a Tubby Smith hire, if Tubby Smith was actually Dan Monson.
52 really isn't that old for a Head Coach. Golden, Calhoun, and Sumlin haven't recruited against the big boys either. Mullen has and I'd love for him to come here but he seems the least likely of the five "final" candidates.

SDSU has the 7th easiest schedule out of 120 teams in major college football this year. If he gets the job the level of competition here will be light years beyond what he has experience with. 6 of their 7 wins (about to 8 if they beat UNLV) this year that they have are against totally and completely putrid football teams.

I'm actually pissed if true. I'd rather keep Horton!!!!

I know the administration is extremely dumb, but they can't possibly be dumb enough to hire a guy with a career losing record and 3 winning seasons in his entire career.
oh wait, they hired Tim Brewster.....nevermind. Still, I don't believe they are gonna make this guy the coach....the fans, alumni, and boosters would revolt

Top Bottom