Hoiberg/Nebraska RUMOR

ForecastingAWin

Reaction score
Seeing some steam on Twitter that USA Today will run a story this week highlighting significant recruiting violations by Hoiberg and staff. Sounds like an assistant, Matt Abdelmassih, may be the focus of the story.

I have no inside info, just wanted to pass along and see if anyone else had any more details/clarity to share. Would be hilarious if even while cheating, Nebraskaball could perform so poorly the past few years!

Last edited:

You could see this coming when he was Iowa State. The clean cut coaching mastermind always seems to want to take the shortcuts. I could never figure it out why people were so obsessed with getting him to coach at the U.

When 5 stars go to random schools for unproven coaches this stuff always comes up. Ben Simmons, Naz Reid, Dennis Smith jr, and now this Bryce kid at Nebraska

You could see this coming when he was Iowa State. The clean cut coaching mastermind always seems to want to take the shortcuts. I could never figure it out why people were so obsessed with getting him to coach at the U.
Agree. I think the way he was forced to leave the game due to his heart condition elicited some sympathy (which it should), but that shouldn't factor into anything since. Maybe it has and maybe it hasn't. It just seems it always factors into the conversation at some point.

Well look what we ended up with in 2013.....
ISU had only been to the NCAA tournament once in ten years when Hoiberg took over in 2010 and he turned the Cyclones around pretty quickly. (And to consistently finish 2nd or 3rd in the Big 12 is not easy.) I think it was a combination of a Gopher opening and potential Timberwolves opening in 2013-2014 that had various MN fans salivating to get him here somehow ("he was a Timberwolf, he's one of us"). Had no idea until I looked at his overall record how miserable things have been for him in NE (and weren't that much better in the NBA)

as of now, it's a rumor coming from a Creighton fan account. When a story gets reported at a legitimate paper or website, then it's worth paying attention.

But, beyond that, we're talking about the NCAA here. North Carolina handed out free grades to athletes and paid no penalty.

So, even if there are allegations made against Nebraska, that does not guarantee that they will face future penalties. All depends on who is throwing darts that day at the NCAA enforcement dartboard.

as of now, it's a rumor coming from a Creighton fan account. When a story gets reported at a legitimate paper or website, then it's worth paying attention.

But, beyond that, we're talking about the NCAA here. North Carolina handed out free grades to athletes and paid no penalty.

So, even if there are allegations made against Nebraska, that does not guarantee that they will face future penalties. All depends on who is throwing darts that day at the NCAA enforcement dartboard.
Speaking cynically...and realistically...Nebraska basketball wouldn't get the same pass that North Carolina got.

But I would imagine the Nebraska assistant coach LOA can be easily confirmed?

I really thought the Mayor would do better at Nebraska

But UNC had to throw the whole university under the bus to get out of it (everybody could take the fake classes and have them count towards their degree). Doubt Nebraska has that much dedication to Hoiberg

I've been to Ames and Lincoln, and I'd chose Lincoln over Ames......

With players getting stipend money and NIL money and moving about freely as free agents, what constitutes significant cheating these days?

With players getting stipend money and NIL money and moving about freely as free agents, what constitutes significant cheating these days?

Throw in "players attending fake classes for years" on top of what you listed and it's really pointless to have an NCAA governing body at this point.

Put Up the 1997 Banners!!

Shady and Shitty: The story of the 2021-2022 Nebrasketball Huskers
But still talented enough to beat almost anyone if they get their act together on the floor. If the situation is as dysfunctional as it is sounding, that may be a tall order.

At ISU Hoiberg recruited with the mantra that there is no such thing as an all bad boy.
Getting some of those players to meet NCAA standards and what ever else it takes to get them on and to stay on campus must be a crap shoot.

Top Bottom