Hoiberg/Nebraska RUMOR

How the hell else are you going to convince national championship level talent, to come to Lincoln, Nebraska????

FFS.

Neb fans just have to accept that they can't cheat their way to titles, anymore, and so it's over. They're just a red Iowa or Missouri. Not necessarily a bad thing. But sure as hell not Alabama in football. And they never were shit in basketball, but they're so desperate for titles I'm sure they're willing to cheat their way to the top in that (and more) sport too.

North Carolina handed out free grades to athletes and paid no penalty.
North Carolina didn't do anything.

A single rouge individual was the bad actor, there.

Not saying they deserved no penalties. But to think the whole school was in on it. So silly

Actually, the correct word is Fantasy. What you want to be the truth, but isn't at all.

Not saying they deserved no penalties. But to think the whole school was in on it. So silly

Actually, the correct word is Fantasy. What you want to be the truth, but isn't at all.
Wow, saying North Carolina did something doesn't mean the entire school did. When we say North Carolina won their basketball game, we're not saying every single student and staff member won the game.

And it wasn't just one individual involved. The students that took advantage of it are guilty as well.

I hate getting off-topic, but this is a very misleading post. A fake class at NC gave out A's to hundreds of athletes (and maybe a normal student every once in a while). That's absolutely terrible. One bad actor? Are you talking about the so-called professor? That's ridiculous to think that other people within that university didn't know what was going on. And North Carolina as a whole didn't do anything? They decided to defend the fake class to the NCAA. That sure seems like doing something.

Are you an NC fan or something?

Wow, saying North Carolina did something doesn't mean the entire school did.
That's what words mean.

So silly to try to pretend "oh but that's not what I really meant". Use correct words, then

One bad actor? Are you talking about the so-called professor?
Of course. That's what actually happened. You know, actual reality. Not what you want to be true?

That's ridiculous to think that other people within that university didn't know what was going on.
Why? Proof?

You know, actual evidence to back up your assertions?

No. And as I said, I don't think they deserved no penalty.

That's what words mean.

So silly to try to pretend "oh but that's not what I really meant". Use correct words, then
You might be the only person on the planet that didn't know what he meant. Actually you knew what he meant, you'd just prefer to be difficult.

Make sure you never say "Minnesota won" ever again. Always has to be "the players and coaches at Minnesota won" because you don't want to cause any confusion.

You might be the only person on the planet that didn't know what he meant. Actually you knew what he meant, you'd just prefer to be difficult.

Make sure you never say "Minnesota won" ever again. Always has to be "the players and coaches at Minnesota won" because you don't want to cause any confusion.
False binary is false.

You're just as bad as all the covid freaks in the OTB, here.

There are more than two levels, and you know it.

I was not saying that referring to the school's name means literally every single person associated with the entire institution in any possible way.

Silly

Take the high road man. You and I have been on GH long enough to know that it's a waste of time responding to MplsGopher. He's always going to be the exact same insufferable poster regardless of the topic.

Of course. That's what actually happened. You know, actual reality. Not what you want to be true?

Why? Proof?

You know, actual evidence to back up your assertions?

No. And as I said, I don't think they deserved no penalty.
The entire department knew about it and the school did as well. Stop.

The entire department knew about it and the school did as well.
"Know" about "what"? You're just playing word/semantics games with what "it" was, and what it means to "know".

If there had been actual proof of an institutional scheme and cover-up, there would have been penalties. There weren't, because there wasn't.

Just telling it how it is, not how you want it to be.

I wish you could see the joy on my face right now. How much I get under your skin. :)

I'm not vulgar. I'm not insulting. I'm not disrespectful.

I make arguments that you aren't smart enough to defeat. I don't let you win (often enough). That's what you hate. That's the thing.

You're welcome, for keeping this message board spicy, and interesting. Not the dull drone of agreeing on everything.

According to this article, you're wrong: https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2017/10/16/breaking-ncaa-finds-no-academic-fraud-unc

From the article: "Investigators concluded that university employees were aware of the fraud and actively steered athletes and other struggling students to those courses."

OK, so I'll admit it was not just one person, it was two people:

The report details a plan by Deborah Crowder, a former manager in the African and Afro-American studies department, who was sympathetic to struggling students ("particularly athletes"), to help them. Julius Nyang’oro, former chairman of the department, delegated her significant responsibilities, enabling Crowder to set up classes that required only a single research paper, which she graded without much regard to their quality.

Two people taking it upon themselves to set-up sham classes, does not count as something that should give an entire athletic dept the death penalty. That's just silly.

I wish you could see the joy on my face right now. How much I get under your skin. :)

I'm not vulgar. I'm not insulting. I'm not disrespectful.

I make arguments that you aren't smart enough to defeat. I don't let you win (often enough). That's what you hate. That's the thing.

You're welcome, for keeping this message board spicy, and interesting. Not the dull drone of agreeing on everything.
Haha you can't make it up, the classic sign of an asshole.

Everybody hates me, but I won't look in the mirror, reevaluate, or change anything whatsoever.

The problem MUST be everybody else.

You're welcome
you state an opinion.

then you claim you're right.

and then you say the discussion is over.

that's not winning.

that is taking your ball and going home.

which is a move most often associated with children - or at least childish thinking. some people outgrow that. some apparently don't.

Wow, saying North Carolina did something doesn't mean the entire school did. When we say North Carolina won their basketball game, we're not saying every single student and staff member won the game.

And it wasn't just one individual involved. The students that took advantage of it are guilty as well.
That is a stark contrast to how the U of MN, fans, student, etc etc were portrayed after Jan.

Things to know:
The NCAA does not have subpoena powers. The NCAA cannot force anyone to testify or to testify under oath.
The African Studies program was the most egregious offender at UNC.
Grades were given out as the students needed them to stay eligible to play for Old Roy.
Since all the students and not just the athletes we able to take courses in that program the NCAA ruled that the benefits were not just available to athletes so there was no violation.
If the NCAA wanted to really pursue the case they could have tried to find out if only athletes were given grades while other students actually had to do the work for their grades.
Without subpoena power that investigation was going nowhere.
I believe the head of the Department retired and that was the end of it as far as UNC cared.
The school at large suffered academic embarrassment which has long been forgotten.
MN's problem was the benefits were only available to athletes.

OK, so I'll admit it was not just one person, it was two people:

The report details a plan by Deborah Crowder, a former manager in the African and Afro-American studies department, who was sympathetic to struggling students ("particularly athletes"), to help them. Julius Nyang’oro, former chairman of the department, delegated her significant responsibilities, enabling Crowder to set up classes that required only a single research paper, which she graded without much regard to their quality.

Two people taking it upon themselves to set-up sham classes, does not count as something that should give an entire athletic dept the death penalty. That's just silly.

Once again, you're wrong.

From UNC's own investigative report:

"In football, for example, ASPSA associate director Cynthia Reynolds and her staff sent Crowder lists of players to be enrolled in paper classes each term, and in some cases apparently even indicated for Crowder what grade or grade range the player would need to earn in the class to maintain eligibility. In mens basketball, academic counselor Burgess McSwain and her successor Wayne Walden routinely called Crowder to arrange classes for their players."

Again, that's from UNC's own investigation, and it shows that many, many University employees in the athletic department not only knew of the academic fraud--they actively sought to have athletes in multiple sports take advantage of that fraud.

I hate getting off-topic, but this is a very misleading post. A fake class at NC gave out A's to hundreds of athletes (and maybe a normal student every once in a while). That's absolutely terrible. One bad actor? Are you talking about the so-called professor? That's ridiculous to think that other people within that university didn't know what was going on. And North Carolina as a whole didn't do anything? They decided to defend the fake class to the NCAA. That sure seems like doing something.

He's just our resident idiot.

Throw in "players attending fake classes for years" on top of what you listed and it's really pointless to have an NCAA governing body at this point.

Put Up the 1997 Banners!!
North Carolina ran a fraudulent "degree" program for approximately 2 decades. The football and basketball teams benefitted the most. Nothing happened to them, because they claimed any student could take the courses.

At Minnesota, one secretary wrote several papers for a couple of players. Burn the school to the ground!

What Minnesota should do is go back and claim that her writing services were available to all students. I was there in 1996. I'd be more than happy to claim she wrote a paper for me. I can round up several dozen other alumni who would claim the same thing. Since none of us were on athletic scholarship, that constitutes any student having access to the JG Writing Academy. Therefore, not a violation, by NC precedent.

What size hooks do we need for the banners?

Top Bottom