Hobey Baker Award Finalists Announced Today -- 2 of the 3 are Gophers

SHGopher

Reaction score

"The three finalists for this year’s Hobey Baker Award are Adam Fantilli, Matthew Knies and Logan Cooley, according to Steven Ellis of DailyFaceoff.

Fantilli, a freshman at the University of Michigan, is considered a top prospect for the 2023 NHL Entry Draft, and led all NCAA scorers with 64 points (29G, 35A) in 35 games, finishing seven points ahead of Cooley for the top spot. Fantilli has been able to further cement his status as a likely lottery selection in the draft, and adding the Hobey Baker would only solidify that standing.

Cooley, the No. 3 overall pick by the Arizona Coyotes last summer, had 57 points (20G, 37A) in 37 games for the University of Minnesota. Cooley’s strong showing this season has given the Coyotes more reason to believe they have a potential No. 1 center in their organization. His 14 points in 7 games at the World Junior Championships for the US also showed he has an ability to perform in pressure situations. Cooley might be looking to join the pro ranks if he can claim this year’s Hobey Baker.

Knies, a 2021 second-rounder by the Toronto Maple Leafs, finished tied for 19th in NCAA scoring with 41 points (21G, 20A) in 38 games playing alongside Cooley at Minnesota. Knies, a sophomore, built on a strong freshman campaign that saw him record 15 goals and 18 assists in 33 games. As a member of an organization annually tight with the salary cap, Knies has begun to develop into a player who could make an impact in the NHL while on an entry level contract. It remains to be seen when Knies will decide to turn pro, but winning the Hobey Baker could accelerate that process.

The winner of the Hobey Baker Award will be announced on Friday, April 7."

PS: This has been mentioned but thought it worthy of a new thread.

Four Minnesota Gophers have won the Hobey Baker.

Neal Broten in 1981.

Robb Stauber in 1988, the first goaltender to win the award.

Brian Bonin in 1996.

Jordan Leopold in 2022.

1680234587081.png

CHN Player of the Year = Fantilli, as Hobey is expected to be, too.

Knies should win it on jawline alone.

I mean, maybe. To win the hobey is a heck of a big deal. Most guys remember hobey winners, playing on national championship teams can be forgotten.
I hear you. I was thinking this early in the week.
why-not-both-why-not.gif

However, I think it's rare to win both. Gophers 2002?

I mean, maybe. To win the hobey is a heck of a big deal. Most guys remember hobey winners, playing on national championship teams can be forgotten.
Grant Potulny is held in much higher regard in Dinkytown that Brian Bonin is, put it that way.

Grant Potulny is held in much higher regard in Dinkytown that Brian Bonin is, put it that way.
Part of that might be he broke the streak and won the championship in St Paul while being the only non Minnesota player on the team. Anyway it’s behind them and now it’s on to beating the bobcats so we can riot.

Argh.

Men’s hockey: Gophers to meet ‘Big Ten killer’ Quinnipiac in title game​

For Minnesota, the theme is trying to dictate tempo and use the team’s depth.
Although the first line rightfully gets much of the love, any of the lines can score. I won't be surprised to see tempo like we saw in the first half of the first period through all three periods. I expect tomorrow to be a comprehensive final on all chapters covered during the season.

The only thing I hope that the team resists is being too cute with the puck.

Top Bottom