High-flying Division II transfer Parker Fox talked to Gophers among long list of suitors

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

He's ready to take his talents to Division I – and he's got a ton of options.

The Mahtomedi, Minn., native currently has nearly 30 Division I schools he's considering since he announced he was transferring last week. His home state Gophers are on a list that includes teams from all six major conferences.

"I grew up a big Gophers fan," Fox said. "I was a court kid basically every year. We would go to all the basketball, hockey and football games."

Newly-named Gophers basketball coach Ben Johnson talked to Fox over the phone Tuesday. It's still early in the process, but Fox is looking forward to a video meeting with Johnson and eventually his assistants in the near future.

"I had a good conversation with Ben Johnson last night," Fox said. "We were able to express that he was interested in me, obviously, and wanted to continue this recruitment process. He's got to figure out his roster situation with the guys he's bringing back and bringing in. So, hopefully once they're able to get through that we'll have a zoom set up … That's an exciting deal."

Go Gophers!!

Anyone know why he wasn't considered a D1 prospect out of HS?

Anyone know why he wasn't considered a D1 prospect out of HS?
This is from the Marcus Fuller article

Fox had no Division I scholarship offers after his senior year at Mahtomedi in 2017. He was a standout high jumper in track and field, but he decided to pursue a basketball career at Northern State in Aberdeen, S.D. They were the only Division II program to offer.

"I came out of high school, a little shorter and not as strong," he said. "I only had one offer available, so I jumped on it. It was one of the best moves I ever made. I'm incredibly grateful."

I watched the first 3 minutes of the tape. Every highlight is a dunk or layup. Hard to tell much else.
Omersa would have a more impressive
highlight tape if you just do dunks and putbacks.

He played in the TC Pro-Am two years ago and his speed and jumping ability were as good as anybody there. His basketball skills were a step down. He worked hard though, took on every challenge, didn't back down from anything. That style of play is really guard driven and I can't remember who he was playing with, but if he had the right playmaker point guard and all he has to do is run to the rim and finish lobs, he can play in the Big Ten.
And if he can't play- at least we win the warmup portion of the evening, cuz he will put on a show.

I watched the first 3 minutes of the tape. Every highlight is a dunk or layup. Hard to tell much else.
Omersa would have a more impressive
highlight tape if you just do dunks and putbacks.
If you would have kept watching you would have seen more than just dunks, but when you’re that athletic (definitely would be one of the best athletes in the Big Ten) of course most of your highlights are going to be dunks. He was also a two time defensive player of the year. When you’re that athletic and play hard on defense, you’ll find a role in the Big Ten even if you aren’t very skilled offensively. I’d love to have him on the team.

If you would have kept watching you would have seen more than just dunks, but when you’re that athletic (definitely would be one of the best athletes in the Big Ten) of course most of your highlights are going to be dunks. He was also a two time defensive player of the year. When you’re that athletic and play hard on defense, you’ll find a role in the Big Ten even if you aren’t very skilled offensively. I’d love to have him on the team.
Can he hit open shots with some reliability?

Top Bottom