High-flying Division II transfer Parker Fox talked to Gophers among long list of suitors

Northern State is a cool story. One of the all-time great college coaches—Don Meyer. 900+ wins. Taught some cool and effective shooting techniques. Really interesting guy. Passed 5ish years ago I’d guess.

Aberdeen also has a tie in to wizard of oz. L. Frank Baum lived there. Lots of wizard of oz themed stuff. Pretty bizarre place.

Can he hit open shots with some reliability?
Probably not unfortunately. His highlights only showed 2 made 3s, but I haven’t seen stats beyond points and rebounds, so not really sure. I’m more accepting of having a PF who can’t shoot than a guard/wing though, especially if he’s a big time defender.

Looks like Fox shot rather poorly this season (2020-2021):
FG: 190/295 (64%)
3FG: 5/20 (25%)
FT: 84/167 (50%)

Probably not unfortunately. His highlights only showed 2 made 3s, but I haven’t seen stats beyond points and rebounds, so not really sure. I’m more accepting of having a PF who can’t shoot than a guard/wing though, especially if he’s a big time defender.
I don't necessarily expect long-range shots, although that would be nice. For me the question is whether he can knock down a 15-footer in the middle of a zone.

Not sure we need another non-shooter who can jump out of the gym TBH.

64% is pretty good, but he's not much of an outside shooter. Definitely more of a PF than a SF.
Yes, but was most of that going to the hole? If it was that won't be as easy to do in D1 ball. I didn't see much midrange shooting in those highlights so it begs the question was that 64% primary dunks/layups or does he have a consistent jumper?

Yes, but was most of that going to the hole? If it was that won't be as easy to do in D1 ball. I didn't see much midrange shooting in those highlights so it begs the question was that 64% primary dunks/layups or does he have a consistent jumper?
Most of it's going to the hole, and I agree it won't be as easy at D1. I wouldn't expect him to average 21 PPG here either.

Midrange is old school and overrated. That's one of the things I love about Nate Oats and his philosophy, he hates the midrange game.

The best shots are getting to the rim, or making 3s. Fox can definitely get to the rim.

Most of it's going to the hole, and I agree it won't be as easy at D1. I wouldn't expect him to average 21 PPG here either.

Midrange is old school and overrated. That's one of the things I love about Nate Oats and his philosophy, he hates the midrange game.

The best shots are getting to the rim, or making 3s. Fox can definitely get to the rim.
This. This. This.
I’d be happy with Fox. If he is a great defender, rebounder and athlete we have room for him.

Honestly, I hope we're not to the point where we're hoping a Division 2 player with one year of eligibility left is going to come in and become a difference maker at the Big 10 level.

Johnson may well lure Fox to the U, but I'm not expecting him to come in and magically become the stud that a bunch of us fans seem to think he might be.

C'mon, what's a Gopher roster without a Sam Jacobson, Michael Bauer, Rodney Williams, Jarvis Omersa type player?

Honestly, I hope we're not to the point where we're hoping a Division 2 player with one year of eligibility left is going to come in and become a difference maker at the Big 10 level.

Johnson may well lure Fox to the U, but I'm not expecting him to come in and magically become the stud that a bunch of us fans seem to think he might be.
I'm more in this category as well. We just had a high motor/athlete guy in Omersa that nobody cared about. Personally I'd rather see more from Mitchell at PF, see Brandon Johnson again next year, or even have Fox's minutes go to one of the incoming freshman if they're still coming.

I'm more in this category as well. We just had a high motor/athlete guy in Omersa that nobody cared about. Personally I'd rather see more from Mitchell at PF, see Brandon Johnson again next year, or even have Fox's minutes go to one of the incoming freshman if they're still coming.
As I watched his highlight video, my overwhelming thought was that he looks great playing against competition in an OK, but not great, Division 2 conference. From experience, I know that many D-2 teams have a guy or 2 that could be playing and contributing to a D-1 program. But, as we all know, there is a wide range of D-1 basketball and I just kept picturing how much more difficult it would be to do anything he was doing in the highlights against Big 10, Pac-12, SEC, ect competition.

Did anybody notice that, no matter what angle or side he came in on, he never seemed to use his left hand to shoot? Seems to put up some pretty tough shots with the right hand, that could have been much easier with the left. Maybe it's not a big deal, but it kinda jumped out at me.

Looks like Fox shot rather poorly this season (2020-2021):
FG: 190/295 (64%)
3FG: 5/20 (25%)
FT: 84/167 (50%)
All his point seem to be in the paint. Slashing type with a lot of energy/defense. He will definitely have a role on this team. Don't let him touch the ball in the last two minutes of a tight game, however.

I can't say this for sure, but I'd expect him to be more serviceable than Omersa. Jarvis just didn't seem to have the feel for the game and the soundness you want in a basketball player. He'd mis-time his leaps on rebounding attempts, not be where he needed to be to get the rebound, and rarely boxed out. For him it was a leaping exercise. He could be a force if he developed his game.

I can't say this for sure, but I'd expect him to be more serviceable than Omersa. Jarvis just didn't seem to have the feel for the game and the soundness you want in a basketball player. He'd mis-time his leaps on rebounding attempts, not be where he needed to be to get the rebound, and rarely boxed out. For him it was a leaping exercise. He could be a force if he developed his game.
Defense was an enigma for Jarvis. But a Good athlete. And gritty!

All his point seem to be in the paint. Slashing type with a lot of energy/defense. He will definitely have a role on this team. Don't let him touch the ball in the last two minutes of a tight game, however.
I would go with shooters and ball handlers first. I like this kid- sounds like he is energy and defense but with where we are at with shooters and ball handlers.... It depends on who leaves. If Ihnen or Johnson or both leave then take this kid. If not wait.

I don't necessarily expect long-range shots, although that would be nice. For me the question is whether he can knock down a 15-footer in the middle of a zone.

If all he can do is jump, then I agree. If he's a big time defender, that's a different story. A Dennis Rodman type role (obviously not saying he'd be that good) would be nice to have, especially after we get some transfers who can shoot, like Gabe Madsen and Kerwin Walton :).

Most D2 players are playing at that level for a reason and would have no business playing in the Big Ten, but Fox had a late growth spurt and is very much a late bloomer, so you can't compare him to the typical D2 player. There is a reason there are 20+ D1 schools contacting him, many of which are from major conferences.

I agree with Keyzer Soze. The single most important attribute that Parker offers that I think makes him someone we want on the roster is his defense. If Coach is trying to bring attitude and grit to this team and build a culture, then he definitely has room for a high energy player that plays good defense, even if most of his time is spent on the bench.

Personally, I am less worried about defense translating from D2 to D1 than offense. And if his offensive game is already limited to dunks and put backs, then that probably translates just fine.

Fox was named the defensive PotY for his region. He averaged 3.5 blocks a game this year, which led the nation. He also was 16/43(37%) from 3 during the 19-20 season.

You can never gave too many rim protectors. When Robbins went down teams scored at will in the paint.

Northern State is a cool story. One of the all-time great college coaches—Don Meyer. 900+ wins. Taught some cool and effective shooting techniques. Really interesting guy. Passed 5ish years ago I’d guess.

Aberdeen also has a tie in to wizard of oz. L. Frank Baum lived there. Lots of wizard of oz themed stuff. Pretty bizarre place.
Don passed about 6-7 years ago. Got in a car accident with the team in 2008. Lost one leg. During the surgery they discovered cancer he didn't know he had. Still came back and coached two more years.

May have had the 2nd best team in DII in 2006/2008 but couldn't get past Winona State either time.

Don passed about 6-7 years ago. Got in a car accident with the team in 2008. Lost one leg. During the surgery they discovered cancer he didn't know he had. Still came back and coached two more years.
Yeah, that was a wild time. Remember talking to him in 2010 or so about it. Car accident prolonged his life (most likely) because they found the cancer. Helluva a coach. Aberdeen still a weird place.

Yeah, that was a wild time. Remember talking to him in 2010 or so about it. Car accident prolonged his life (most likely) because they found the cancer. Helluva a coach. Aberdeen still a weird place.
Weird is one way to describe it.

I remember the Aberdeen Pheasants from the old Northern League baseball with the Duluth Dukes, Huron, think Winnepeg had a team, Eau Claire, St. Cloud, etc. Grew up in Duluth going to Dukes game. Tiger farm club and lots of future Tiger greats rolled through Duluth in the early sixties.
Aberdeen might have been an Oriole farm club as they had the orange trim.

Sorry for the tangent.

I remember the Aberdeen Pheasants from the old Northern League baseball with the Duluth Dukes, Huron, think Winnepeg had a team, Eau Claire, St. Cloud, etc. Grew up in Duluth going to Dukes game. Tiger farm club and lots of future Tiger greats rolled through Duluth in the early sixties.
Aberdeen might have been an Oriole farm club as they had the orange trim.

Sorry for the tangent.
Grand Forks Chiefs were a Pirate affiliate. Hank Aaron played for the Eau Claire Braves.

No, we need a guy that can guard a very good #3 and lock him down.

This guy won't be able to score at will in the Big Ten most likely, but sounds as if he can defend, get us a few putbacks, etc. He was the defensive player of the year in his conference.

As I have said a million times, I don't think we can win here at this school unless we play top 3 defense in the conference.

Top Bottom