Hey, I know it's a gopher board but the Vikings

That Kyler Murray pass off of his back foot was classic Leidner except for the result was kinda different.

Whose goose is going to get cooked first? Frosty or Zimmer?

They are sharpening knives as we speak.

Why are people trying to kick PA??

He was at the game, in the press box which is probably near the 50, very hard to see a tiny ball flying towards two posts that don't stick out against all the waiving crowd behind it, and it missed by like a foot. He's as passionate about the Vikings winning a Super Bowl in his lifetime as anyone, and badly wanted the win.

I don't see the issue.
I just don’t care for how much he and other Kfan hosts tend to kiss @ss of Vikings leadership while being negative towards other Mn sports teams.

I think there is a culture problem on the team and maybe it’s Spielman. When you have the lowest vax rate in the nfl you are not drafting good character guys.

Yeah, if they get rid of Zimmer but keep speilman it’ll be more of the same.

Speilman’s inability to successfully address o line for so many years is his downfall.
...or QB, or Kicker, or the defensive positions that Danielle Hunter, Harrison Smith, and Erik Kendrick's don't play.

...or QB, or Kicker, or the defensive positions that Danielle Hunter, Harrison Smith, and Erik Kendrick's don't play.
The Qb is top half of the league. Multiple good kickers have played for this team.

Souhan nailed it, good for him:

The Vikings fan blaming losses on missed field goals is like a New Orleans resident blaming floods on a leaky faucet.

Kickers aren't the Vikings' problem.

Kickers are the Vikings' toupee.

When Greg Joseph missed a 37-yard field goal as time ran out in the Vikings' 34-33 loss at Arizona on Sunday, he joined a pantheon of kickers who failed to deliver a victory in the clutch.

Joseph failed in that moment. That's a fact. What's worse than him failing is him becoming a symbol of the Vikings' failures, letting more important and higher-paid employees off the hook.

We've seen this before. Gary Anderson did not miss a field goal in 1998 until the NFC Championship Game. He, too, became a symbol of that team's failures, obscuring mistakes made by actual football players.

When Anderson missed that field goal, he helped fans forget that Robert Smith ran out of bounds when trying to kill the clock, and that Randall Cunningham held the ball too long on a strip sack that changed the game, and that Randy Moss seemed to lose interest, and that the defense was shredded by injuries and couldn't stop the run or hassle a non-legendary quarterback in Chris Chandler, or that Denny Green had Cunningham take a knee at the end of regulation even though explosiveness and creativity was their greatest strength and Atlanta's defense was hurting.

But, sure, blame the kicker for missing one field goal.

Similarly, Joseph's loss obscured other failures.

The Vikings were running at will. Kirk Cousins had been efficient and had not turned the ball over all game — and still hasn't turned over the ball all season.

The Vikings offensive line was having a great day in the running game and had improved vastly over Week 1 in pass blocking. The Vikings have two star receivers to go with their all-world running back.

So why did coach Mike Zimmer run about 40 seconds off the clock and settle for a 37-yard-field goal from an inexperienced kicker? An experienced quarterback and star running back might have scored a touchdown, or made the field goal a chip shot.

Cousins' stat line is gaudy, but in a game in which he had the advantage of a great running game and good protection, he produced three offensive points in the second half.

Justin Jefferson, the wonderful second-year receiver, dropped a long Cousins pass down the sideline.

The Vikings' defense, even with Danielle Hunter playing like his old self, allowed 34 points.

But, sure, blame the kicker.

In sports as in politics and business, always follow the money.

The Vikings have decided to pay a lot of talented players a lot of money, and they have routinely overspent in relation to production.

Anthony Barr may be a good player, but he was a bad signing. This is the second season in a row in which his injury replacement — Eric Wilson in 2020 and Nick Vigil this year — has made more pivotal plays than we're accustomed to Barr making.

Harrison Smith just signed another big deal, and he is making few pivotal plays.

Then there is Cousins, The Illusionist. He is one of the highest-paid quarterbacks in the league. He is surrounded with skill position talent. Sunday, his offensive line played well. He produced zero offensive touchdowns in the second half of a wide-open game.

His record in Washington: 26-30-1. His record in Minnesota, starting with a season that followed a 13-3 Vikings season: 25-23-1. Career record: 51-53-2. That's what the Vikings are paying $33 million a year for.

Star players are on the field for 50 to 70 plays a game. Coaches spend all week devising schemes and plays and make hundreds of decisions during the game. Kickers jog onto the field and swing their leg a few times a game.

There is a cure for this problem: Deemphasize kicking.

There is no way a field goal should be half as valuable as a touchdown. There is no way an extra point should be half as valuable as a two-point attempt.

Kicking should be a desperate, end-of-half, tiebreaking stratagem, not an accepted feature of modern football.

But then Vikings fans would have to blame their favorite players, not their kicking temp, when they lose.

Anyone mentioning cousin’s pay is an idiot. He is the 8th highest paid QB. He is closer to being paid 15th than first.
Some quarterbacks much worse than him make close to him.

Goff is more than him. Wentz is 3% different: jimmy Garoppolo is 15% less.

Assuming teams are not dealing first round QBs from the last 2-3 years…The quarterbacks we could get for significantly less money assuming we could swing a trade to get them:
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Teddy bridgewater
J Winston
Andy dalton
Nick foles
Case Keenum
Marcus Mariota
Tyrod Taylor
I guess I’d rather have the Wilf’s pay a little more for an average QB than save money for a bad one

Does Souhan watch the games?

What a clown!

I knew he would miss that kick. Sitting at a bar in AZ next to new Vikings fans and now friends that I met we all knew we had lost. Needless to say we all took shots and blacked out to cope with that reality right after. Zimmer has always played not to lose and his teams always play down or up to or somewhat up to the other teams levels. That means a 8-9 or 7-10 record on most years. Besides I think, 2017, 2019 and 2015...Those three seasons are why he is still around. He's been a decent coach for the most part but the last three years he's proven his game style is old news and not it's getting really bad.

I was on the edge of my seat the whole Viking game last weekend. The gopher game, not so much.
Yeah but you got to utilize your whole seat with the Gophers.

Vikings, way less efficient.

I sold my season Vikings tickets this season because I believe they need a complete overhaul top to bottom and I don't think they will go deep into the playoffs with this team. If you look @ the business end of the NFL these owners are making millions win or lose and the Wilfs are no different. The Vikings historically have not had good synergy and alignment between the GM, player development and the coaching staff and it shows on the field. Just by luck we should have had more than a few top tier QB's in 60 years. I will always want them to win but this season has been much less annoying now that some other fan is supporting them financially. I am spending much more time on college football this fall.

Anyone mentioning cousin’s pay is an idiot. He is the 8th highest paid QB. He is closer to being paid 15th than first.
Some quarterbacks much worse than him make close to him.
Still a fact that we could've, on average, gotten that production from a much lesser paid QB and used that money on other roster spots.

He played great vs the Cards.

From Gary Anderson to Blair Walsh (I actually wore a Walsh jersey to games his rookie year because of how much water he carried for that dismal team), I endured a couple decades of almost's and heartaches. After we shat the bed post Minneapolis Miracle I officially lost all interest. I'm sure the entire Vikings org is really bummed about it. I certainly feel great though. Ride or Die with Ski U Mah since '94. The vikes, as has been said, are boring, over-indulged and just really not that fun to watch. Good riddance.

Souhan nailed it, good for him:

The Vikings fan blaming losses on missed field goals is like a New Orleans resident blaming floods on a leaky faucet.

Kickers aren't the Vikings' problem.

Kickers are the Vikings' toupee.

When Greg Joseph missed a 37-yard field goal as time ran out in the Vikings' 34-33 loss at Arizona on Sunday, he joined a pantheon of kickers who failed to deliver a victory in the clutch.

Joseph failed in that moment. That's a fact. What's worse than him failing is him becoming a symbol of the Vikings' failures, letting more important and higher-paid employees off the hook.

We've seen this before. Gary Anderson did not miss a field goal in 1998 until the NFC Championship Game. He, too, became a symbol of that team's failures, obscuring mistakes made by actual football players.

When Anderson missed that field goal, he helped fans forget that Robert Smith ran out of bounds when trying to kill the clock, and that Randall Cunningham held the ball too long on a strip sack that changed the game, and that Randy Moss seemed to lose interest, and that the defense was shredded by injuries and couldn't stop the run or hassle a non-legendary quarterback in Chris Chandler, or that Denny Green had Cunningham take a knee at the end of regulation even though explosiveness and creativity was their greatest strength and Atlanta's defense was hurting.

But, sure, blame the kicker for missing one field goal.

Similarly, Joseph's loss obscured other failures.

The Vikings were running at will. Kirk Cousins had been efficient and had not turned the ball over all game — and still hasn't turned over the ball all season.

The Vikings offensive line was having a great day in the running game and had improved vastly over Week 1 in pass blocking. The Vikings have two star receivers to go with their all-world running back.

So why did coach Mike Zimmer run about 40 seconds off the clock and settle for a 37-yard-field goal from an inexperienced kicker? An experienced quarterback and star running back might have scored a touchdown, or made the field goal a chip shot.

Cousins' stat line is gaudy, but in a game in which he had the advantage of a great running game and good protection, he produced three offensive points in the second half.

Justin Jefferson, the wonderful second-year receiver, dropped a long Cousins pass down the sideline.

The Vikings' defense, even with Danielle Hunter playing like his old self, allowed 34 points.

But, sure, blame the kicker.

In sports as in politics and business, always follow the money.

The Vikings have decided to pay a lot of talented players a lot of money, and they have routinely overspent in relation to production.

Anthony Barr may be a good player, but he was a bad signing. This is the second season in a row in which his injury replacement — Eric Wilson in 2020 and Nick Vigil this year — has made more pivotal plays than we're accustomed to Barr making.

Harrison Smith just signed another big deal, and he is making few pivotal plays.

Then there is Cousins, The Illusionist. He is one of the highest-paid quarterbacks in the league. He is surrounded with skill position talent. Sunday, his offensive line played well. He produced zero offensive touchdowns in the second half of a wide-open game.

His record in Washington: 26-30-1. His record in Minnesota, starting with a season that followed a 13-3 Vikings season: 25-23-1. Career record: 51-53-2. That's what the Vikings are paying $33 million a year for.

Star players are on the field for 50 to 70 plays a game. Coaches spend all week devising schemes and plays and make hundreds of decisions during the game. Kickers jog onto the field and swing their leg a few times a game.

There is a cure for this problem: Deemphasize kicking.

There is no way a field goal should be half as valuable as a touchdown. There is no way an extra point should be half as valuable as a two-point attempt.

Kicking should be a desperate, end-of-half, tiebreaking stratagem, not an accepted feature of modern football.

But then Vikings fans would have to blame their favorite players, not their kicking temp, when they lose.
It's all about wins, not QB stats. Those are the most important stats. Kirk Cousins is an average QB with good stats who kissed the Wilf brothers' rings.

This anti-vax thing is going to sink the Vikings season. Look, Tom Brady and the entire Bucs organization all got vaccinated. That is what an organization with true leadership does. Don't forget that they won the Superbowl last season.

Don't play with the fan's money with your politics. He is getting paid a lot to be a leader and to win games.

It will be an interesting end of the season.

I knew he would miss that kick. Sitting at a bar in AZ next to new Vikings fans and now friends that I met we all knew we had lost. Needless to say we all took shots and blacked out to cope with that reality right after. Zimmer has always played not to lose and his teams always play down or up to or somewhat up to the other teams levels. That means a 8-9 or 7-10 record on most years. Besides I think, 2017, 2019 and 2015...Those three seasons are why he is still around. He's been a decent coach for the most part but the last three years he's proven his game style is old news and not it's getting really bad.

Very reasonable.

Serious question. Did you think Joseph would miss the two 52 yarders too?

It's all about wins, not QB stats. Those are the most important stats. Kirk Cousins is an average QB with good stats who kissed the Wilf brothers' rings.

This anti-vax thing is going to sink the Vikings season. Look, Tom Brady and the entire Bucs organization all got vaccinated. That is what an organization with true leadership does. Don't forget that they won the Superbowl last season.

Don't play with the fan's money with your politics. He is getting paid a lot to be a leader and to win games.

The Vikings would have multiple Super Bowls if using Tom Brady's spy gate. MULTIPLE

👎🏽

Very reasonable.

Serious question. Did you think Joseph would miss the two 52 yarders too?
Actually no! Lol. All of our kickers miss in the clutch from short distance under Zimmer. It's Zimmer getting in their heads. He ruins their confidence. He rushed Joseph out there too. If you saw that? We should have ran another play for sure.

Top Bottom