Henry Brooks discusses recruitment

I'm sure they do when the coach in question is really in danger of losing his job. Pearl most certainly is in danger of losing his job. I don't think it's fair to say the same for Tressel - I think there are a lot of differences that make Pearl's situation much worse. But in any event, all those FB recruits had already signed LOIs to go to OSU before Tressel got in trouble. This is a case with Brooks where he really should have an open mind because he hasn't committed or signed anywhere, and would have to heavily consider (i.e., eliminate Tennessee as a choice) it because you really don't know who's the coach.

Tennesee basketball is also not Ohio State football. Even if something happens with Tressel it will still be Ohio State football. Tennesee basketball may find itself buried in a very strong SEC East, playing in front of 10,000 fans in a 25,000 seat arena.

Tressel lied to investigators and mislead his own compliance department. How is that different than Pearl?

Tressel's mistakes (apart from being misleading about what information he received & when after everything came out) were much more understandable. Pearl lied about violations he committed in an obvious attempt to cover his butt. According to Tressel, he kept things under wraps due to a pending federal criminal investigation of a drug trafficker who (according to the email Tressel had received) had a criminal record and witnessed one of his friends being murdered in a parking lot, so there were concerns about hampering the investigation & safety concerns as well. On top of that, the attorney who sent the emails told him to keep it confidential. Pearl doesn't have any good excuses for lying to NCAA investigators about whether he had recruits at his house.

Are you sure Tressel didn't hide things to keep his star players eligible for a BCS bowl game?

Maurice Clarett and Troy Smith were both Tressel recruits and both took improper benefits. Just because Tressel dresses like Mr. Rogers doesn't mean he's the complete opposite of Bruce Pearl. We're not exactly comparing a whore and a virgin here.

Have you watched Tubby teams at full strength and not playing only 8 scholly guys? We play fast when we're equipped to do so, look back to the previous two years when we were able to run our pressing defense and push the ball way more often. It's hard to play fast and intense when you're working with 8 guys.

This. People clearly can't remember our good our full court press had been and how our transition game was stronger. We have had neither this year.

Are you sure Tressel didn't hide things to keep his star players eligible for a BCS bowl game?

The NCAA made their ruling before the bowl game and still let them play in the bowl game - that's what a lot of the outcry was about, the NCAA letting players play a key game before they serve a suspension and not suspending them right away.

Tressel lied about when he first knew of the problems.

Besides, he won't survive this:

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2011/03/09/tressel-attorney-ncaa-violations.html

Tressel didn't keep quiet because he didn't want to interfere with the investigation, he kept quiet so the players wouldn't get in trouble with the feds. This just keeps getting bigger.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/blogs/jason/the-emails

I don't want to keep arguing about this, because it's taking the thread on a tangent ... I don't think there's anything more that will come out, there's practically no chance that Tressel doesn't survive this, and I think Bruce Pearl is in a lot worse shape because another key fact is Pearl, like Dez Bryant (who got a 1-year suspension), lied to NCAA investigators and it appears Tressel did not. Lying to university compliance officials and lying to NCAA investigators who have come to ask very specific questions are different things ... it would stand to reason that the NCAA would have harsher penalties for Pearl and Bryant because their own investigative staff is being lied to.

Top Bottom