Henry Brooks discusses recruitment

GophersOnTheRise

Reaction score
Henry Brooks discusses his recruitment in a new Rivals article. Here are some notable quotes and a link to the article:

"I just came back from a visit to Minnesota," said Brooks. "It was pretty nice. I like the facilities, the program and the coaches.

"The style of play and opportunity to play is important," he said. "I want to play in a fast system. I like to play intense defense and want to be able to create mismatches with my ability to play inside and outside."

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1197709

Henry Brooks discusses his recruitment in a new Rivals article. Here are some notable quotes and a link to the article:

"I just came back from a visit to Minnesota," said Brooks. "It was pretty nice. I like the facilities, the program and the coaches.

"The style of play and opportunity to play is important," he said. "I want to play in a fast system. I like to play intense defense and want to be able to create mismatches with my ability to play inside and outside."

Has he ever watched Tubby's teams play? If he wants to play in a fast system, he's not coming to MN.

Tubby ball looks best when we go fast. Not as good when we go slow. Having the players to go fast would be great. I'd love to see Tubby go this direction more next year. Brooks should like defending for Smith.

Fast paced style of play has a lot to do with who is playing point guard and the other players on the court as well. With the athletes we will have next season I would imagine our tempo will be fast enough.

Has he ever watched Tubby's teams play? If he wants to play in a fast system, he's not coming to MN.

Have you watched Tubby teams at full strength and not playing only 8 scholly guys? We play fast when we're equipped to do so, look back to the previous two years when we were able to run our pressing defense and push the ball way more often. It's hard to play fast and intense when you're working with 8 guys.

Have you watched Tubby teams at full strength and not playing only 8 scholly guys? We play fast when we're equipped to do so, look back to the previous two years when we were able to run our pressing defense and push the ball way more often. It's hard to play fast and intense when you're working with 8 guys.

Tubby's teams have never really played fast; it's just not his style at all. Now, when we had elite defensive teams, sometimes our ability to create turnovers was our best offense. Those moments when the press created a turnover gives the illusion of "fast" play, but really they have nothing to do with Tubby's offense. His offense is clearly a slow-it-down, move the ball, don't shoot shoot until there's ten seconds or less on the shot clock style. I don't necessarily like it, but that's the way its always been. Tubby's a grind it out, defensive-minded coach and it reflects in the type of players he recruits.

Tubby's teams have never really played fast; it's just not his style at all. Now, when we had elite defensive teams, sometimes our ability to create turnovers was our best offense. Those moments when the press created a turnover gives the illusion of "fast" play, but really they have nothing to do with Tubby's offense. His offense is clearly a slow-it-down, move the ball, don't shoot shoot until there's ten seconds or less on the shot clock style. I don't necessarily like it, but that's the way its always been. Tubby's a grind it out, defensive-minded coach and it reflects in the type of players he recruits.

Actually, that's not really true. Tubby isn't a Nolan Richardson 40 minutes of hell type of coach, but he will press if he has the bench and the athletes. Also, Tubby doesn't like half court grind it out games. He prefers to have the point guard push the tempo and get quick buckets, such as the outlet pass after a rebound. Blake Hoffarber is just not fast, so that's why we're playing that half court now, but Tubby would rather run than not. Tubby has always implored his guards to push it up the court. You're describing something more akin to Bo Ryan, not Tubby.

I will concede that right now, we play slow, half court, grind it out games cause we have no play makers and no good point guards.

8 players and 4 are C/PF...you can run, but are not going to win the race with that line up.

Here are Tubby's adjusted tempo ratings for Kentucky and the Gophers going back to 2003.

Kentucky
141, 137, 162, 221, 159

Minnesota
195, 214, 211, 213

That is out of 350 or so teams.

You can draw your own conclusions.

GVBadger,

Do you have conference game only paces?

I'm guessing those numbers are even slower as the Gophers have been able to run a little bit in November and December against bad teams.

Once January gets here, it's like they are suddenly playing in mud.

Here are Tubby's adjusted tempo ratings for Kentucky and the Gophers going back to 2003.

Kentucky
141, 137, 162, 221, 159

Minnesota
195, 214, 211, 213

That is out of 350 or so teams.

You can draw your own conclusions.

The B1G is notorious for the more deliberate, slower pace to their games, a lot of which is due to the type of defense that our conference plays IMO. This year, Iowa is #1 in the B1G at 103rd in the country. When you see B1G teams play out of conference games, our pace quickens.

I'm not trying to act like Tubby goes Phoenix Suns on it or something. I'm just saying, when you get stops, your pace quickens, and the attacking defense he wants to play is evident when he's working with a full deck. But no, you're not gonna see it where guys are heaving up 3's with :25 on the shot clock very often.

Not 100% accurate. His Tulsa teams in 1994 (especially) and 1995 were fast paced. His UK teams in 1998, 2001, and 2003 - likewise. His Georgia team in 1997 also (I think, not sure).

Actually, that's not really true. Tubby isn't a Nolan Richardson 40 minutes of hell type of coach, but he will press if he has the bench and the athletes. Also, Tubby doesn't like half court grind it out games. He prefers to have the point guard push the tempo and get quick buckets, such as the outlet pass after a rebound. Blake Hoffarber is just not fast, so that's why we're playing that half court now, but Tubby would rather run than not. Tubby has always implored his guards to push it up the court. You're describing something more akin to Bo Ryan, not Tubby.

I will concede that right now, we play slow, half court, grind it out games cause we have no play makers and no good point guards.

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statistics/Coaches/Orlando_Smith.html Here is a link to all 10 years of Tubby Teams at UK.

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statistics/ratingtenseasonminute.html some Tendex ratings of UK players. Tubby had anybody from 1997-98 through 2006-07.

Rumors are he may be a Tennessee lean right now. Let's hope for the best as it would really be nice to have this kid.

Rumors are he may be a Tennessee lean right now. Let's hope for the best as it would really be nice to have this kid.

Judging from the article, I don't think he ends up here.

Also, Tubby doesn't like half court grind it out games.

Maybe that's because he has been able to run a functioning half-court offense during his tenure at Minnesota. We need to "attempt" to push the ball to get as many offensive positions as possible to overcome our turnovers and poor shooting, and the opponents 15 made 3-pointers every game.

Maybe that's because he has been able to run a functioning half-court offense during his tenure at Minnesota. We need to "attempt" to push the ball to get as many offensive positions as possible to overcome our turnovers and poor shooting, and the opponents 15 made 3-pointers every game.

By tenure, do you mean the last 10 games? Otherwise you haven't been watching during his entire tenure.

By tenure, do you mean the last 10 games? Otherwise you haven't been watching during his entire tenure.

Please, the Gophers haven't had a half course offense during his time here. Don't even try to say that we have.

I like Tubby and hope he signs an extension, but over the last 4 seasons we have had a terrible half court offense.

I wouldn't go committing to a coach that might not see next season.

But you would play for a coach with recent major NCAA violations who is going to get axed if he farts the wrong way?

But you would play for a coach with recent major NCAA violations who is going to get axed if he farts the wrong way?

Um, I was referring to Bruce Pearl too?

No kidding. I would question the sanity of any recruit who signs with an out-of-state school whose coach should be fired due to a pending NCAA investigation, especially when that recruit has offers from other high major schools.

No kidding. I would question the sanity of any recruit who signs with an out-of-state school whose coach should be fired due to a pending NCAA investigation, especially when that recruit has offers from other high major schools.

Any insane football recruits coming to Columbus next fall? Just asking.

Exactly, I don't see how Tennessee can keep the guy now, lying to investigators is a big screw up in the world of college athletics.

When you play a 5 possessions per half game against Wisconsin 1-3 times a year it will mess up those tempo rankings.

Exactly. Recruits don't care if a coach is in NCAA Hot Water or not.

I'm sure they do when the coach in question is really in danger of losing his job. Pearl most certainly is in danger of losing his job. I don't think it's fair to say the same for Tressel - I think there are a lot of differences that make Pearl's situation much worse. But in any event, all those FB recruits had already signed LOIs to go to OSU before Tressel got in trouble. This is a case with Brooks where he really should have an open mind because he hasn't committed or signed anywhere, and would have to heavily consider (i.e., eliminate Tennessee as a choice) it because you really don't know who's the coach.

Tressel lied to investigators and mislead his own compliance department. How is that different than Pearl?

Top Bottom