Henley in portal

Two of the only NIL rules the NCAA kept are:
1) no pay for performance.
2) no pay directly tied to choosing a particular school.

Also, this applies to boosters of any school.

Obviously, there is a difference between the rules as practiced, and the rules as followed.
These are the first iteration of the NIL rules, they can/will be altered

There is no way that this could be done without coordination between booster and coaches. How would the booster know who to offer? I am all for it though. This isn't amateur sports anymore- obviously.
Doesn’t it depend on how shady the coach & admin are as well?

Knight famously refused to play Kentucky because they all were in his opinion crookeder than a three dollar bill - Kenny Sky Walker and FedEx come immediately to mind.

One article I saw, said there will likely be a scenario where an N a big time NIL player, is on the bench and the pay or loses it and Hines holy heck to the coach and or the AD.

The genie 🧞‍♂️ is out of the bottle and he ain’t going back in IMO, College basketball is easier to manipulate as you need fewer great players and football players develop differently due to the physical nature of the game - injuries, strength training.

It was beyond ill conceived and it’s rapidly turning into a joke - they de facto legalized cheating.

Last edited:

Guys that don’t mind sitting in 3rd string and getting an education don’t happen?
The value if an education to someone from outside the US which happened to Gas and BK can literally not only change/affect their lives, but their whole families - that type of schooling is equivalent to the small % of US students who graduate from an Ivy.

I would as well if I were some billionaire.

I said this when this all started happening with NIL - it's far easier with basketball too, though I was talking about football at the time. If I were a billionaire who went to say some really small, minor D1 school - Let's say New Jersey IT - what would stop me from dropping 5 million each to the five or six best players in the college game and building a super team with them?

I still think we're going to see this happen. It's a lot less expensive than say, buying an NBA team, and it's still basically your plaything.
I don't think it will get to that level. Billionaires are rich because they don't throw money away. The ones who care about sports are most likely already involved.

Not to mention most rich people worked very hard to get where they're at and might not like the idea of throwing huge chunks of cash at kids who have proved nothing.

Doesn’t it depend on how shaft the coach & admin are as well?

Knight famously refused to play Kentucky because they all were in his opinion crookeder than a three dollar bill - Kenny Sky Walker and FedEx come immediately to mind.

One article I saw, said there will likely be a scenario where an N a big time NIL player, is on the bench and the pay or loses it and Hines holy heck to the coach and or the AD.

The genie 🧞‍♂️ is out of the bottle and he ain’t going back in IMO, College basketball is easier to manipulate as you need fewer great players and football players develop differently due to the physical nature of the game - injuries, strength training.

It was beyond ill conceived and it’s rapidly turning into a joke - they de facto legalized cheating.
1678829730647.png

In 2016-2017 Konate averaged 1.9 points per game. Diedhou got into four games. Most power five coaches would have run them off.

They were end of the bench players on visa's from foreign countries. It's not that easy just to run guys like that off.

Plus Konate looked like he could at least be a serviceable backup early in his career. Pitino recruited over both of them anyways by bringing in Lynch and Curry.

Hell, you could just pick some tiny, poor, remote school like Finlandia University and try this as an experiment if you were some eccentric billionaire. Basically just buy the school and see if you could do this.
Finlandia will cease to exist after spring semester if you hadn’t heard. 😞

Finlandia will cease to exist after spring semester if you hadn’t heard. 😞
I had not. I'm not terribly shocked. It's a tiny school in an extremely remote place.

I had not. I'm not terribly shocked. It's a tiny school in an extremely remote place.
Yep, mom in law went to school there and I’m a Mich Tech grad from just across Portage Lake. Know the area well. They just spent a bunch of money marketing the school, hoping to gain enrollment numbers, but it has not worked.

Using NIL is a dangerous excuse as nobody really knows what is going on elsewhere. If you look at other teams message boards, many in the NCAA tournament, they are convinced NIL cost them prospect X or Y too.

So many questions surrounding Henley/Evans. Did we take Henley, who had no other power 5 offers, to get an "in" with the Evans camp? It was certainly suggested on another site, prior to the season, that no more transfer guards were brought in because they needed to play/develop Henley...so did were there promises in regards to playing time made? That would make sense with regards to comments made by Evans people to the Pioneer Press. Now you have the fact that Evans was rated a top 30 recruit by both 247 and Rivals yet was deciding between Minnesota and TCU. You should have been asking questions then...either about his ranking or his situation. Top kids go to schools that are not great all the time...but they have to beat out a blue blood for them. Even when Evans came back on the board this Winter, the schools involved with him were TCU (again), Louisville, and Missouri. Again, where is UCLA? where is USC? How about even a Gonzaga or Oregon? I think the likely scenario here is either A. Dennis Evans is not that good or B. The schools on the West Coast are aware of who is handling Dennis Evans and were not interested from the jump (whether that means $$$ or taking other players from their program).

On NIL in particular, Evans is the ONE kid who has asked out of his NLI without a coaching change. If Louisville is just throwing around money, don't you think they would have tried to get other guys? Iowa State, Colorado, Stanford, and Rutgers all have players ranked ahead of Evans on the 247 composite...Louisville couldn't outbid them?

Iowa State lost their best returning player to NIL when Hunter transferred inside their own conference to Texas. I am sure people there whined about NIL...but they got the work done and put a better team on the floor than they had the prior season including a win over Hunter's new Texas team. So even if it is solely an NIL issue (which I doubt), then it is still not a situation that can't be overcome.

Top Bottom