Henley in portal

Thank you for doing those stats. I would ask this from a different view though- How many frosh played 600 minutes or more and had better stats than Henley? A lot of those frosh you are including in the 300 minute category got a lot of their minutes in non- conference and junk time minutes.

It's also a lot easier to be a successful 10 minute per game frosh in a lower conference. Henley got to be pretty darn good in the last 10 games. There is no cherry coating that he is a serious long term loss.
Nope, No cherry coating. But, was there any sugar picking?

The Henley/Evans connection turned into a big negative. Wonder if that shithead AAU coach was pushing this. What will be really interesting here is if he follows to Louisville. Would be hard to say that there wasn't some tampering going on.

What really sucks is that it seemed Henley was turning a corner. Certainly nowhere near polished however. Unless he drops a level (which.....why would he do that)....I don't see how he doesn't see less floor time almost anywhere he goes.
For these AAU leeches, it is all about their brand, or in other words, the $$$$. They could give two shits less where players end up, as long as their players go somewhere to be recognized, and more importantly, get paid.

That way, this AAU POS can say I placed this guy here and that guy there, and got him this much money, etc., etc. It has nothing to do with the best interests of the players. It has everything to do with the best interests of their pocketbooks.

AAU coaches are the de facto "agents" now of the college athletic scene. Be prepared for a LOT of greasy shit. Having had my fair share of run-ins with their ilk, there are more than a few that are shady hustlers. Always an angle. Always looking to make a buck. LaVar Ball wasn't an anomaly.

For these AAU leeches, it is all about their brand, or in other words, the $$$$. They could give two shits less where players end up, as long as their players go somewhere to be recognized, and more importantly, get paid.

That way, this AAU POS can say I placed this guy here and that guy there, and got him this much money, etc., etc. It has nothing to do with the best interests of the players. It has everything to do with the best interests of their pocketbooks.

AAU coaches are the de facto "agents" now of the college athletic scene. Be prepared for a LOT of greasy shit. Having had my fair share of run-ins with their ilk, there are more than a few that are shady hustlers. Always an angle. Always looking to make a buck. LaVar Ball wasn't an anomaly.
Ben was hired in part because of his AAU connections. What's it gotten us so far?

Are you including the guys coming off debilitating injuries in your depth analysis?
I am, but wouldn't have to. Battle played the 3- at least we have JOJ and Betts there. At PG we got nothin' unless Christie plays the point. I think Ihnen and Fox will play and I think at least one of them will play well. Time will tell.

On Henley - several weeks ago, Ryan James in a podcast said that the AAU Coach (Kool Aid) was complaining that Henley wasn't getting enough playing time. I don't remember if Kool Aid was complaining directly to Johnson, but if James knew about it, it was clearly out there.

Kool Aid is also strongly rumored to be one of the people who was pushing Evans to renege on his commitment to MN and go after more NIL $$ on the open market.

So, a guy who clearly has a lot of influence on these players told Evans to leave, and he left. What do you suppose he was saying to Henley?

When Evans reneged, Henley was as good as gone. and now he's gone.

did he have potential? Certainly.
does his leaving cripple the program. No bleepin' way.

I am, but wouldn't have to. Battle played the 3- at least we have JOJ and Betts there. At PG we got nothin' unless Christie plays the point. I think Ihnen and Fox will play and I think at least one of them will play well. Time will tell.
I hope you are correct but I am not confident either will contribute much to an improved team.

On Henley - several weeks ago, Ryan James in a podcast said that the AAU Coach (Kool Aid) was complaining that Henley wasn't getting enough playing time. I don't remember if Kool Aid was complaining directly to Johnson, but if James knew about it, it was clearly out there.

Kool Aid is also strongly rumored to be one of the people who was pushing Evans to renege on his commitment to MN and go after more NIL $$ on the open market.

So, a guy who clearly has a lot of influence on these players told Evans to leave, and he left. What do you suppose he was saying to Henley?

When Evans reneged, Henley was as good as gone. and now he's gone.

did he have potential? Certainly.
does his leaving cripple the program. No bleepin' way.
Not surprising

Of course, but again this has been happening for decades. It's nothing new.

Why not fire Johnson now? The difference in buyout between this year and next is marginal...like a million or so...with Henley leaving (and potentially more), do we really think we won't be in the B10 cellar again... If in the cellar, it may be too big of a hole to dig out of... attendance will continue to drop, ratings will continue to drop, apathy will rise in MN...UST will gain market share... does the U really value the ~1M extra on Ben's buyout more than potentially stopping the sinking ship now?
I'm a UST alum (graduate school), but I'll always be U of M. UST is not going to gain market share except for diehard UST fans seeking validation. They will be a nice novelty if they do something good and I'll root for them as I would any other Minnesota team, but beyond that, not even on my radar. MN has over 100 years of being the first and only in the market. A me too upstart at a private Catholic college isn't going to move the needle much. Do like the school colors, however.

Thank you for doing those stats. I would ask this from a different view though- How many frosh played 600 minutes or more and had better stats than Henley? A lot of those frosh you are including in the 300 minute category got a lot of their minutes in non- conference and junk time minutes.

It's also a lot easier to be a successful 10 minute per game frosh in a lower conference. Henley got to be pretty darn good in the last 10 games. There is no cherry coating that he is a serious long term loss.

Well, let's remember that most teams didn't play freshmen as much as we did and that Henley would have been unlikely to play that amount of minutes on any other Big Ten team. I don't think there are many P6 teams where he would have played that amount of minutes.

But, I'll answer your question. The search results:

1) There were 131 D1 FRESHMAN guards who played 600 minutes or more.

2) 122 of them had a Player Efficiency Rating as good or better than 7.4 (Henley's overall number)

3) 112 of them had a True Shooting Percentage of .462 (Henley's overall number) or better.

Last edited:

What a bummer. Very disappointing, but probably to be expected. I had really appreciated the way his defense in particular had picked up lately, you could see the growth in his game from start of end of season.

Ahh well, he wishes to be elsewhere. Best wishes to him, and next man up.

Well, let's remember that most teams didn't play freshman as much as we did and that Henley would have been unlikely to play that amount of minutes on any other Big Ten team. I don't think there are many P6 teams where he would have played that amount of minutes.
Yep- you are right. He should have stayed here IMO, but I do think he will be a good player in the years ahead.
But, I'll answer your question. The search results:

1) There were 131 D1 FRESHMAN guards who played 600 minutes or more.

2) 122 of them had a Player Efficiency Rating as good or better than 7.4 (Henley's overall number)

3) 112 of them had a True Shooting Percentage of .462 (Henley's overall number) or better.
Thanks!

I mean, there is some indication.

Henley was always the guy that we all assumed might leave after the Evans situation. However, until today, there really wasn't indication he was leaving.

There has been some indication that Battle and/or Cooper are leaving. The announcers were openly speculating on Battle leaving during the Big 10 tournament and Cooper walked on Senior Day. There was also the tweet where it said something about it not being the last person (in reference to Thompson).

Again, those don't mean anything for certain but they are "some" indication.
I mean Marcus literally wrote an article on Friday that Henley was transferring.

I'm a UST alum (graduate school), but I'll always be U of M. UST is not going to gain market share except for diehard UST fans seeking validation. They will be a nice novelty if they do something good and I'll root for them as I would any other Minnesota team, but beyond that, not even on my radar. MN has over 100 years of being the first and only in the market. A me too upstart at a private Catholic college isn't going to move the needle much. Do like the school colors, however.
Yes UMD, Mankato St and St Cloud St hockey agree with you… all have won or been to the finals more recent than the Gophers if I remember right…

You're now on EasyTherePilgrim's list....

Is having a NET of about 200 and only slightly above one of the worst Gopher teams in history the UST super bowl equivalent? lol. Going to be funny to watch the Gophers siphon off UST's best players when they manage to become decent.
What year is this? Hardly a Super Bowl when one team openly admits they don’t want to play the other…

Is having a NET of about 200 and only slightly above one of the worst Gopher teams in history the UST super bowl equivalent? lol. Going to be funny to watch the Gophers siphon off UST's best players when they manage to become decent.
Since I root for both teams, I will root for those players who transfer up to a P6 and hope they continue playing well.

I'm not sure if it would have changed the Henley transfer plan but Ben's decision to play Samuels over both Henley and Carrington for most of the year was inexplicable. Yes, Henley made a ton of mistakes. However, he represented upside. Samuels game was more mature but there was no upside and he didn't help generate victories.

Ben needs to be fired asap. Odds are we'll keep Payne, Garcia, JOJ and Carrington no matter who the coach is because they are from MN. You have to have someone who can recruit the portal in this day and age and he clearly is unable to do so at a B1G level. We've got one incoming recruit(ranked in the 120's nationally) and how good will the guys from the portal be? For the betterment of the program, we just simply have to cut bait. I know it's costly, but fan apathy has set in big time. It's going to be embarrassing seeing how many empty seats will be at The Barn next year...unless we decide to give out free pizza to everyone.
but it's Domino's pizza...

Yes UMD, Mankato St and St Cloud St hockey agree with you… all have won or been to the finals more recent than the Gophers if I remember right…
I'm from the St. Cloud area originally. It is really important - to the people of St. Cloud. My brother is a Mankato fan. Super important - to Mankato.

As far as statewide interest, not quite the same draw.

UMD has won, and I was happy for them. SCSU and Mankato - still 0'fer.

The biggest difference - as a MN fan I'm happy if another MN school does well, but will always root for MN over any other MN school. As an SCSU or Mn State fan, they seem obsessed with seeing the Gophers fail. Mankato came close last year with a team of grown men and a doped up goalie, but I digress. Kind of hard to fathom a 26 year old is at Mankato for the educational transformation. Are they even required to take classes? :)

I'm not sure if it would have changed the Henley transfer plan but Ben's decision to play Samuels over both Henley and Carrington for most of the year was inexplicable. Yes, Henley made a ton of mistakes. However, he represented upside. Samuels game was more mature but there was no upside and he didn't help generate victories.
The entire sad Samuels situation, from the day Johnson wasted a spot on him, was a bad indication of Johnson's potential.
Actually playing him was inexcusable.

Top Bottom