Henley in portal

Christie must be awfully good. If he is, no real loss at all.

If he's not, well dang!

Well this opens the door for Ben to go after a 2 guard in the portal to mentor Christie and Carrington.
Sure, the portal giveith and the portal takeith away.

However, answer me this:
what guys that will be available in the portal, who could be significant contributors to a solid Big Ten team, that are from outside the upper Midwest, want to come to Minneapolis, far away from anyone they know, in the freezing dark of winter, to play for a coach and program that have had this awful of a two year start?

Short of massive NIL, I don’t see how you can solve that with where the program is.

UST was a middling team in a terrible Summit league. They aren't gaining "market share". We'll know that UST is making strides when they become the Gophers farm team.
The same gopher team that is becoming everyone else's farm team... How was the Gopher's Net and KenPom btw?

Why not fire Johnson now? The difference in buyout between this year and next is marginal...like a million or so...with Henley leaving (and potentially more), do we really think we won't be in the B10 cellar again... If in the cellar, it may be too big of a hole to dig out of... attendance will continue to drop, ratings will continue to drop, apathy will rise in MN...UST will gain market share... does the U really value the ~1M extra on Ben's buyout more than potentially stopping the sinking ship now?
It's more like $3.5 million but you're still correct. Everyone can see how the movie ends. UST is not the issue. A dying fan base is. Many of the people who leave won't be coming back.

I can certainly understand the rationale for allowing student athletes to transfer without having to sit out and for them to have the ability to do NIL deals. But after watching it play out for a couple years now, I haven't changed my original opinion of either. It ultimately hurts college athletics from a fan's perspective. Hard to watch players you invest in leave so freely.
It's a dang free for all. I wonder if this is what the NCAA envisioned or thinks is a good situation. The good old days when the coaching jobs were only coaching and recruiting! Now there's this and an almost unregulated big money in the mix.

It's more like $3.5 million but you're still correct. Everyone can see how the movie ends. UST is not the issue. A dying fan base is. Many of the people who leave won't be coming back.
When does Year 3 of the contract start...start of the 3 year of the date he signed the contract...if so, isn't that at the end of march or early april? If so, fire him then...it would be firing him in Year 3...the buyout would be lower.

If they want Evans bad enough to pay $500K, I'm sure he can also get $50K for his buddy.

When does Year 3 of the contract start...start of the 3 year of the date he signed the contract...if so, isn't that at the end of march or early april? If so, fire him then...it would be firing him in Year 3...the buyout would be lower.
Usually 5/1 or 4/30 is when it drops. But waiting until then means you miss the entire coaching cycle and end up with Tim Brewster. Let's not do that again. If you have some deal quietly done with Dutcher or something, then you can wait. I still think they had a deal with Flip in 2006 and then trying to keep it under wraps until he was done with the Pistons became untenable.

I can certainly understand the rationale for allowing student athletes to transfer without having to sit out and for them to have the ability to do NIL deals. But after watching it play out for a couple years now, I haven't changed my original opinion of either. It ultimately hurts college athletics from a fan's perspective. Hard to watch players you invest in leave so freely.
It’s going to ruin college athletics - it’s fading for me significantly now

There comes a point--and we may have reached it--when things get so bad that even candidates who would have jumped at this job two years ago won't even touch it. I'm afraid that the right move here is just to ride this thing to the bottom and see if we can catch a chairlift back up to the top at some point.

Usually 5/1 or 4/30 is when it drops. But waiting until then means you miss the entire coaching cycle and end up with Tim Brewster. Let's not do that again. If you have some deal quietly done with Dutcher or something, then you can wait. I still think they had a deal with Flip in 2006 and then trying to keep it under wraps until he was done with the Pistons became untenable.
If it's that far out, just do it now. Recoup the delta in buyout with uptick in season ticket sales, concession sales, advertising, corporate sponsorships...etc

Like many have said, he seemed to be getting better as the season progressed. But truth be told, he was a liability by throwing the ball away all season. Very bad passes. He needs to fix that and maybe he will at his next stop.

This needs to evolve, or it will greatly diminish college athletics. In the pros, you have contracts, and sports like baseball where there are minor leagues, you have specified years of team control. This free-for-all in college just stinks.

I am a fan of doing something like 1. You get one free transfer, but NO MORE. No hardship waivers of any kind. Sorry, Dawson Garcia, you've already moved once, and chose to be far from home. You want to come home and go to school, you have that right. But to play basketball, you sit a year. That may tamp down the FR/SO from transferring, as it gives them much less flexibility down the road. Or 2. You sign with a team, and you have to stay there for 2 or 3 years (I would prefer 3). If you want to transfer before then, you have to sit a year. Get to that agreed upon 2/3 year threshold, and you can free transfer (once).

Why not fire Johnson now? The difference in buyout between this year and next is marginal...like a million or so...with Henley leaving (and potentially more), do we really think we won't be in the B10 cellar again... If in the cellar, it may be too big of a hole to dig out of... attendance will continue to drop, ratings will continue to drop, apathy will rise in MN...UST will gain market share... does the U really value the ~1M extra on Ben's buyout more than potentially stopping the sinking ship now?
Have you ever lived anywhere besides MN?

No, I’m not being a wize azz.

MN specially and Midwesterns, in general, are renown for their frugality compared to other parts of the country - it’s much more apparent if you’ve lived elsewhere- hence my question.

It’s not an indictment, just an observation.

There comes a point--and we may have reached it--when things get so bad that even candidates who would have jumped at this job two years ago won't even touch it. I'm afraid that the right move here is just to ride this thing to the bottom and see if we can catch a chairlift back up to the top at some point.
Is the job itself any worse than it was 2 years ago or even 10 years ago. Other than St. Thomas going D-1 and the NIL which we don't know the full story on, the other fundamentals of it haven't changed. Only Power 6 school in the state, a decent amount of talent. Decent fan base (albeit shrinking), decent practice facilities. Downsides: old dumpy arena, bad weather, pro sports rule the town. etc.

This needs to evolve, or it will greatly diminish college athletics. In the pros, you have contracts, and sports like baseball where there are minor leagues, you have specified years of team control. This free-for-all in college just stinks.

I am a fan of doing something like 1. You get one free transfer, but NO MORE. No hardship waivers of any kind. Sorry, Dawson Garcia, you've already moved once, and chose to be far from home. You want to come home and go to school, you have that right. But to play basketball, you sit a year. That may tamp down the FR/SO from transferring, as it gives them much less flexibility down the road. Or 2. You sign with a team, and you have to stay there for 2 or 3 years (I would prefer 3). If you want to transfer before then, you have to sit a year. Get to that agreed upon 2/3 year threshold, and you can free transfer.
It needs to be progressive, for example: second time, you have to sit out a year, and after that you start to forfeit years of eligibility.

Disappointing, I liked his potential with his combination of size, quickness, and some ability to drive and shoot. I’ll be curious to see if he’s done enough to get interest from other high majors. Maybe he ends up in the Mountain West somewhere?
He had a lot of potential. His ability to get to the rim is very good. Put on some man muscles and start taking the contact and finish under control and he’ll be getting a bunch of and 1’s the next couple years.

MN specially and Midwesterns, in general, are renown for their frugality compared to other parts of the country - it’s much more apparent if you’ve lived elsewhere- hence my question.

Nebraska (very Midwest) spent like $8 million to fire Scott Frost 10 days early.

Is the job itself any worse than it was 2 years ago or even 10 years ago. Other than St. Thomas going D-1 and the NIL which we don't know the full story on, the other fundamentals of it haven't changed. Only Power 6 school in the state, a decent amount of talent. Decent fan base (albeit shrinking), decent practice facilities. Downsides: old dumpy arena, bad weather, pro sports rule the town. etc.
The losing is damaging. This program is damaged goods in a way it wasn't two years ago. That's my take, at least.

yes I have

It's a dang free for all. I wonder if this is what the NCAA envisioned or thinks is a good situation. The good old days when the coaching jobs were only coaching and recruiting! Now there's this and an almost unregulated big money in the mix.
The NCAA could have headed this off at the pass long before we got here, but are incompetent and arrogant

Well, it’s not like we didn’t see this coming.

Top Bottom