Henley in portal

Not unexpected but this is a gut punch. We just have to build a better program where people want to be. If Ben is going to be the one to do this, I can't see him surviving more than one of these this year among his core group. This has to be it.

I am beginning to dislike college basketball- a lot.

I dont think Henley is good so whatever. But at this point you cannot possibly be on board that CBJ should be the coach. First it was, well he needs time to recruit. Failed. Then it was well we are awful but that's OK then MN kids and FR will be here long term. FAIL. What can anyone possibly think will happen? He's a terrible coach, a below average recruiter and is losing guys hand over fist. Props to Ole Miss and Louisville, they know it might be ugly but to win you might have to pay guys and get do some questionable things but they refuse to be like our program and reward being the worst every year.

I'm hoping he didn't like the weather.

Otherwise its not promising for the program. This guy had no reason to leave
Well …. yeah.

Asking a kid who grew up in California to move to Minnesota is a big move. Culturally, climate, everything.

It’s one thing to make that transition for a winning program.

But to do it only to win 2-3 conference games?

Disappointing, I liked his potential with his combination of size, quickness, and some ability to drive and shoot. I’ll be curious to see if he’s done enough to get interest from other high majors. Maybe he ends up in the Mountain West somewhere?

I'm hoping he didn't like the weather.

Otherwise its not promising for the program. This guy had no reason to leave
The longer the portal is around, the more I realize that this often has little to do with it. Using logic to try to determine who is staying/going is a fool's errand.

Disappointing but not surprising with the rumors that were out there about him transferring. He was still super raw but there was a lot of potential there for him to develop into a good player.

Not a great start to what is going to be a massive off-season for Johnson. He is going to have to hit some serious home runs in the portal or year 3 will almost certainly be his last.

Well this opens the door for Ben to go after a 2 guard in the portal to mentor Christie and Carrington.

The longer the portal is around, the more I realize that this often has little to do with it. Using logic to try to determine who is staying/going is a fool's errand.
Yeah....and trying to understand the players motivations for transferring is another fool's errand. It could be related to what is going on on the court but it could also have been one of hundreds of other things that might make zero sense to any of us but lead a player to transfer simply because they can.

Has to be so frustrating for coaches to spend all the time and effort involved with recruiting a player just have that player jump ship right away.

The Henley/Evans connection turned into a big negative. Wonder if that shithead AAU coach was pushing this. What will be really interesting here is if he follows to Louisville. Would be hard to say that there wasn't some tampering going on.

What really sucks is that it seemed Henley was turning a corner. Certainly nowhere near polished however. Unless he drops a level (which.....why would he do that)....I don't see how he doesn't see less floor time almost anywhere he goes.

Brutal man.

With guys that we've contacted in the portal, I don't exactly see game changers that would get us to NCAA relevance.

We'll see though.

Here we go again.

What're the odds he goes to Louisville? 3:2? 7:5?

Yeah....and trying to understand the players motivations for transferring is another fool's errand. It could be related to what is going on on the court but it could also have been one of hundreds of other things that might make zero sense to any of us but lead a player to transfer simply because they can.

Has to be so frustrating for coaches to spend all the time and effort involved with recruiting a player just have that player jump ship right away.

Not to mention investing the time and resources into developing said player. Henley made some noticeable strides from the beginning of the year until the end of the year. However....much of that could be that he was getting comfortable in the system as well as gaining a rapport with his teammates. Going to be something to follow next year.

Why not fire Johnson now? The difference in buyout between this year and next is marginal...like a million or so...with Henley leaving (and potentially more), do we really think we won't be in the B10 cellar again... If in the cellar, it may be too big of a hole to dig out of... attendance will continue to drop, ratings will continue to drop, apathy will rise in MN...UST will gain market share... does the U really value the ~1M extra on Ben's buyout more than potentially stopping the sinking ship now?

I can certainly understand the rationale for allowing student athletes to transfer without having to sit out and for them to have the ability to do NIL deals. But after watching it play out for a couple years now, I haven't changed my original opinion of either. It ultimately hurts college athletics from a fan's perspective. Hard to watch players you invest in leave so freely.

Why not fire Johnson now? The difference in buyout between this year and next is marginal...like a million or so...with Henley leaving (and potentially more), do we really think we won't be in the B10 cellar again... If in the cellar, it may be too big of a hole to dig out of... attendance will continue to drop, ratings will continue to drop, apathy will rise in MN...UST will gain market share... does the U really value the ~1M extra on Ben's buyout more than potentially stopping the sinking ship now?

UST was a middling team in a terrible Summit league. They aren't gaining "market share". We'll know that UST is making strides when they become the Gophers farm team.

Top Bottom