Help...please list your favorite All-Negative GH posters

Reaction score
so I can consider putting them on my ignore list.

Please do not include those posting periodic constructive criticism because I find those posters helpful to an intelligent discussion of the program and its progress.

Thanks much.

so I can consider putting them on my ignore list.

Please do not include those posting periodic constructive criticism because I find those posters helpful to an intelligent discussion of the program and its progress.

Thanks much.

I'm going old-school with this.

My favorite idiot: Loon. Couldn't wait to see what he wrote next. Serious issues with that guy. Sometimes trainwrecks are fun to watch.

Least favorite idiot: Wren. Could sum-up his drivel in one sentence, but he would write a books worth.

Sorry for going with "obvious" and "past" examples..

I'm not going to get into names, but the post from Jeff Wills' father makes it perfectly clear that these negative posters are not helping the program in any way. There are probably a few varieties of negative posters:

Obvious Trolls - typically Iowa or Wisconsin fans. A few do a pretty good job at posting under the pretense that they are Gophers fans and suck people into a discussion with them and a few others have a level of vitriol that cannot be hidden (PantherHawk and his various aliases). The advice is timeless, but worth repeating - DON'T FEED THE TROLLS.

Coach/System Haters - We had it under Mason, we have it under Brewster. Some people have feelings that range from dislike of, to hatred of, the coaches personality, system, etc. To those people I simply say that unless you are a 6-figure contributor to the program, your complaints will have no affect on the program. You might as well embrace what we have or go into hibernation.

Know-It-Alls - these people are sometimes (but not always) legitimate fans. Some of them are just fans of their own superiority and find this board to be a convenient location to demonstrate their power of the English language, statistics, human nature, etc. You know the type, a thread will be going along just fine until someone refers to "South Dakota" instead of "South Dakota State" - it doesn't really make a difference. Its not like a bunch of guys from Vermillion are going to jump in their van and drive here only to discover that we're actually playing the other South Dakota team. These people often hijack threads with their petty arguements over syntax, historical usage, etc. Many good threads have died an early death just so these people can pick up a moot point and run it (and all of the other posters) into the ground. My guess is that these people are one of two things; they are the children of baby boomers who were raised believing that everything they did was just perfect and - if not - it was someone else's fault. Or, they are powerless in 99% of the aspects of their life and come here to find a false sense of power. Either way - go to a therapist and not this board. (Whew - sorry, these people irk me more than the rest).

Reactionaries - If we had won versus Penn State, these people would be arguing that we should be ranked in the top-10, after the loss, these same people claim that we're the worst BCS team in the nation. These are the people who like to chastise the more realistic posters as "being the problem with their low expectations." Geez - just take your meds and chill out. The truth is that we have been a pretty poor team for 40+ years and that the past 10 +/- years are our best during that period. Institutional change happens slowly, have some patience.

This is just my opinion.

All of us should just think about what is in our power to improve the program. For most of us, it is simply attending games and events and cheering like crazy. And, in the end (and I know it is very cliche), if you aren't a part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Go Gophers!

I'm not going to get into names, but the post from Jeff Wills' father makes it perfectly clear that these negative posters are not helping the program in any way. There are probably a few varieties of negative posters:

Obvious Trolls - typically Iowa or Wisconsin fans. A few do a pretty good job at posting under the pretense that they are Gophers fans and suck people into a discussion with them and a few others have a level of vitriol that cannot be hidden (PantherHawk and his various aliases). The advice is timeless, but worth repeating - DON'T FEED THE TROLLS.

Coach/System Haters - We had it under Mason, we have it under Brewster. Some people have feelings that range from dislike of, to hatred of, the coaches personality, system, etc. To those people I simply say that unless you are a 6-figure contributor to the program, your complaints will have no affect on the program. You might as well embrace what we have or go into hibernation.

Know-It-Alls - these people are sometimes (but not always) legitimate fans. Some of them are just fans of their own superiority and find this board to be a convenient location to demonstrate their power of the English language, statistics, human nature, etc. You know the type, a thread will be going along just fine until someone refers to "South Dakota" instead of "South Dakota State" - it doesn't really make a difference. Its not like a bunch of guys from Vermillion are going to jump in their van and drive here only to discover that we're actually playing the other South Dakota team. These people often hijack threads with their petty arguements over syntax, historical usage, etc. Many good threads have died an early death just so these people can pick up a moot point and run it (and all of the other posters) into the ground. My guess is that these people are one of two things; they are the children of baby boomers who were raised believing that everything they did was just perfect and - if not - it was someone else's fault. Or, they are powerless in 99% of the aspects of their life and come here to find a false sense of power. Either way - go to a therapist and not this board. (Whew - sorry, these people irk me more than the rest).

Reactionaries - If we had won versus Penn State, these people would be arguing that we should be ranked in the top-10, after the loss, these same people claim that we're the worst BCS team in the nation. These are the people who like to chastise the more realistic posters as "being the problem with their low expectations." Geez - just take your meds and chill out. The truth is that we have been a pretty poor team for 40+ years and that the past 10 +/- years are our best during that period. Institutional change happens slowly, have some patience.

This is just my opinion.

All of us should just think about what is in our power to improve the program. For most of us, it is simply attending games and events and cheering like crazy. And, in the end (and I know it is very cliche), if you aren't a part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Go Gophers!

Thanks for the very thoughtful summary of what's up here with the all-negative, all the time, doomerism tribe of GN.

I don't think this is specifically what you are asking, but the only posters who should be on ignore, IMO, are those posters who:

- call other posters names (way too common around here but related to my 3rd point)
- swear
- make every dialogue personal in nature (like an attack on someone else - I'll never understand why people make everything a personal fight instead of a firendly dialogue, even in disagreement, among FANS OF THE SAME TEAM) - phrases like "get a clue" or "wow are you an idiot" just ruin this board IMO and my GH experience has been so much better when ignoring posters that have to resort to that kind of response
- posters who show time and again they bring nothing to the table other than ranting/raving with no facts/evidence/proof of whatever they happen to be ranting about. That kind of ranting works when we are six years old - not so much as adults - we can be better than that

As for people who have a take that differes from my own - keep it up! That's what great dialogue is made of! For anyone who would put someone on Ignore becuase they disagree with someone's take (and it doesn't sound like you would OP) I just feel sorry for you. Any fan board is supposed to be a place where fans of a team can disagree - differing takes should not an ignore list make. If anoyone wants a place to go to write their thoughts and have no one disagree with them ever, get a diary. :D

I don't think this is specifically what you are asking, but the only posters who should be on ignore, IMO, are those posters who:

- call other posters names (way too common around here but related to my 3rd point)
- swear
- make every dialogue personal in nature (like an attack on someone else - I'll never understand why people make everything a personal fight instead of a firendly dialogue, even in disagreement, among FANS OF THE SAME TEAM) - phrases like "get a clue" or "wow are you an idiot" just ruin this board IMO and my GH experience has been so much better when ignoring posters that have to resort to that kind of response
- posters who show time and again they bring nothing to the table other than ranting/raving with no facts/evidence/proof of whatever they happen to be ranting about. That kind of ranting works when we are six years old - not so much as adults - we can be better than that

As for people who have a take that differes from my own - keep it up! That's what great dialogue is made of! For anyone who would put someone on Ignore becuase they disagree with someone's take (and it doesn't sound like you would OP) I just feel sorry for you. Any fan board is supposed to be a place where fans of a team can disagree - differing takes should not an ignore list make. If anoyone wants a place to go to write their thoughts and have no one disagree with them ever, get a diary. :D

Agreed. Well said.

I have learned to just ignore Gopherhole the day of a game. Losses are the end of the world and wins are too big. The worst is the game day thread which looks like it is populated by people with mential illness who are not taking their meds.

I am fine with negativity. Where I draw the line is when people start making their Gopherhole arguments more important than the actual program. For example, I have no doubt that there are posters who would rather see Brewster fail than have him succeed because they don't like his style. That is wrong. Ditto for Weber.

In the end though, this is a message board, and I welcome diversity of opinion. I don't want only positivity, I desire thoughtful arguments. I think we need to be mindful that people involved do read this board but not let it overly affect the dialogue. There are a lot of perks to playing D-1 football, attention (both good and bad) is one of them.

I have learned to just ignore Gopherhole the day of a game. Losses are the end of the world and wins are too big. The worst is the game day thread which looks like it is populated by people with mential illness who are not taking their meds.

I am fine with negativity. Where I draw the line is when people start making their Gopherhole arguments more important than the actual program. For example, I have no doubt that there are posters who would rather see Brewster fail than have him succeed because they don't like his style. That is wrong. Ditto for Weber.

In the end though, this is a message board, and I welcome diversity of opinion. I don't want only positivity, I desire thoughtful arguments. I think we need to be mindful that people involved do read this board but not let it overly affect the dialogue. There are a lot of perks to playing D-1 football, attention (both good and bad) is one of them.

On game day, I also take a break from GH. My routine is to watch the game live if possible...or the DVD'd version...watch the BTN summary of other BT games to get a comparative perspective on the Gs, if possible watch the game of an upcoming G opponent like MSU/UI last week, watch Brew's/player comments/reaction on BTN/Gold Zone and check various non-GH pundit comment. By Sunday, if I feel I have a sensible $0.02 to add, I'll check GH and might post at that point. That process...although not as spontaneous as others here...seems to help me gain a bit more perspective on where the Gs are relative to the active GH posting flow that occurs during the week.

This is just my opinion.

Go Gophers!
:clap::clap: Good work. And honestly all those weird negative online trolls need to STOP. You are hurting the Gophers not helping them. Your personal feuds and vendettas aren't of any interest to anyone who isn't as mentally ill as you are. This is a site for FANS of the Golden Gophers. If you are not one, or if you sincerely don't want the Gophers to do well, then you should take your negativity elsewhere.

I dislike a certain type of poster the most, the guy with extreme views who doesn't know he's extreme. He could be in a room with a hundred people who have the complete opposite view as him and he'd be utterly convinced he's got it right and they've got it wrong. The problem with these types is the holes in their logic are so apparent so you're always sucked into the debate which never goes anywhere. So rather than endure it I have them on ignore. I think I only have two guys on my list. Others are just so wacked they're harmless, and the trolls are fun once you've recognized them as such.

On the Gopher's Scout site, I found these 2 pictures of PantherHawk in a thread where was also a poster and did not dispute the pictures (whi I believe came from his
l_f35ba229c29fb0c7682879eee2147b83.jpg

and
460171867_l.jpg

Thes came from his photobucket account: http://photobucket.com/images/pantherhawk/

Always nice to put a face with a name :D

Old School one for you

Anyone remember UWRecruiter? That guy was terrible. That goes back to when we were recruiting Dominque Sims.

Although I do not miss Loon, his public breakdown and 100 posts in a single night has got to be the most memorable event in Gopherhole history. Followed by the chair in the eye and then the fake death.

By that token, I will add Tipsy, Lloyd, and Kelly Leeks to the list.

re PantherHawk...do you think that is a real service uniform or just a Halloween outfit?

PantherHawk looks better than I expected.

My all-time favorites are sorb and Gopher4Life (first incarnation). They were masters of switching their arguments to suit each thread. My long suspicion is they are/were the same person. Definitely worthy adversaries, but absolutely shameless.

I honestly do not know if he/she ever posted on GH or not... But on the Star/Trib blogs used to be (haven't heard from him/her lately there either), however he/she was from Florida...Does anyone recognize the name jmarksor?

I have sec105 on ignore. I don't understand him/her.

I locked horns with Loon on more than one occasion, and he would be my least favorite poster. In hindsight, i am sorry that i did. Not because he was a moron and a jerk, just that i got suckered into stooping to his level. So a belated apology to the board for that.

I second the Wren comment, that guy could drone on (and on) worse than my mother in law. I dont miss either of those guys.

I vaguely remember the 100 posts in the single night and i remember him being banned possibly twice, and him swear off the hole a couple times, but I dont remember his faking his own death. Can somebody give me a non-wren readers digest version of that? I thought the fake death was Tipsy? Did that happen more than once or am I wrong?

but I dont remember his faking his own death. Can somebody give me a non-wren readers digest version of that? I thought the fake death was Tipsy? Did that happen more than once or am I wrong?

I think the name you're looking for is Kelly Leeks.

I spent an hour of googling looking for an accident to confirm his death. And then he died a virtual death, suicide it was ruled.

kelly leeks is alive and well and posting at scout. wish i could have been around for some of this stuff. i just got a hint of the LOON over at scout before he was banned.

Art V
upchurch

I agree with above...
sorb - one of the worst of all time

GM

Here's another

Showing how long I've been on the site (also a good demonstration that # of posts is only indicative of # on posts in the current incarnation of this site and under the current user name), but does anyone remember "flafan"?

The most negative guy in the world although he would sometimes have a decent point or two. He may be the Florida guy on the Star Tribune website that you are talking about.

Another guy that should go in the GopherHole Hall of Fame: bob39. Anyone from back in the day, when we had to click on each and every post to read it, remembers his interesting use of the english language.

The mental break down was by loon.
the chair in the eye was, I think, ChinaGopher who got into a fight with some Badgers fans in NE Minneapolis.
The faking of his own death (easily the crappiest post/thread in the history of The Hole) was Kelly Leeks, Tipsy and Lloyd. Never in the history of message boards was a ban so deserved.

the pictures that someone said are pantherhawk are not the same guy in both pictures, the top pic and bottom pic look like 2 different people to me. the top guy looks much heavier

I remember flafan and nasa36 both being posters that drove me nutty.

the pictures that someone said are pantherhawk are not the same guy in both pictures, the top pic and bottom pic look like 2 different people to me. the top guy looks much heavier

he top guy looks much heavier

Trust me bankonit, unfortunately speaking from personal experience, the weight gain phenomena is to damn realistic!:banghead:

I suppose it could be the same guy but they look like 2 different people to me

Top Bottom