Help or hurt recruiting

Minnesconsin fan

Reaction score
so does it help or hurt in a recruits thought process when they watch a game like last night unfold? It looked like Tyus behind the Gophers bench and UW Ole said Rashad was there also. Do they watch that and say " the Gophers are closer than I thought and I/we can really help them" or is it more like " what a train wreck, I would look good in green"

I thought the Gophers coaches wearing the bow ties was a not so subliminal plea for Tyus but then heard later that it was for prostate cancer awareness.

Could go either way. Hopefully they have that hometown pride and realize they are the final piece to taking MN over the top.

Tubby will not be the Gopher coach when those young men are Freshmen....regardless of where they end up.

so does it help or hurt in a recruits thought process when they watch a game like last night unfold?

Completely depends on the kid. For those kids who it interests, the "you can turn this thing around... you'll be the one or one of the guys that brought Minnesota back!" angle could work well. In this day and age, there are fewer kids who that is going to interest, but they are out there.

BTW, I think Art's comment is correct. I could see coach Smith being at Minnesota for one or two more years, but not more. Next year will be very challenging.

BTW, I think Art's comment is correct. I could see coach Smith being at Minnesota for one or two more years, but not more. Next year will be very challenging.

Whether or not his opinion ends up being correct matters little. Art loves posting some inflammatory BS that is most often completely unsubstantiated or an outright falsehood, and then he just runs away and hides. He's a gnat. Bothersome, but worth little more than me waving it away.

I'm right here m'boy....

How is my comment BS? It's not like it's breaking news. Media folks in this town can say it - but it's BS coming from me?

Next.

It is tough to recruit without an extension. Kids want stability ( Izo, coach K, etc) I think if Tubby has another year without making the
Dance a new AD has a tough decision. If the new AD extends Tubby before next season it does give him a better chance to land these two kids. Minnesota loyality? I think you can throw it out the window with these two kids. We're not talking the Olson kids here.

I'm right here m'boy....

How is my comment BS? It's not like it's breaking news. Media folks in this town can say it - but it's BS coming from me?

Next.

You have often complained that your posts get deleted. Why do you think that is?

And what the *&^% is "m'boy"?

It is tough to recruit without an extension. Kids want stability ( Izo, coach K, etc) I think if Tubby has another year without making the
Dance a new AD has a tough decision. If the new AD extends Tubby before next season it does give him a better chance to land these two kids. Minnesota loyality? I think you can throw it out the window with these two kids. We're not talking the Olson kids here.

I'm not sure I buy the 'tough to recruit without an extension'. With how many of the contracts are written, a long-term contract means little to nothing. If a kid has concerns that a coach might leave, it'll be based on the coach and the program and the circumstances - not the years on the contract. Sad as it sounds, people know better than to assume a contract means a real commitment.

Indiana is Minnesota's next opponent. Their coach had a contract with a different school that went through 2017. He's been at Indiana for four years now. Nothing unexpected happened at the other school - it's just that the Indiana job was offered and the guy felt he couldn't refuse it. After all... it's Indiana! It's Indiana!

I'm not sure I buy the 'tough to recruit without an extension'. With how many of the contract are written, a long-term contract means little to nothing. If a kid has concerns that a coach might leave, it'll be based on the coach and the program and the circumstances - not the years on the contract. Sad as it sounds, people know better than to assume a contract means a real commitment.

Indiana is Minnesota's next opponent. Their coach had a contract with a different school that went through 2017. He's been at Indiana for four years now. Nothing unexpected happened at the other school - it's just that the Indiana job was offered and the guy felt he couldn't' refuse it. After all... it's Indiana! It's Indiana!

+1

Media folks in this town can say it - but it's BS coming from me?

Comparing yourself to local media is doing nothing but hurting your cause. Most of the things said by most of the local media are idiotic and/or completely fabricated.

Completely depends on the kid. For those kids who it interests, the "you can turn this thing around... you'll be the one or one of the guys that brought Minnesota back!" angle could work well. In this day and age, there are fewer kids who that is going to interest, but they are out there.

More challenging than this year? Are you assuming Rodney leaves then?

Tubby will be 63 when Tyus steps on campus and 66 if he stays four years (Tubby has a June birthday so don't jump on my math).

Art was likely being a smart-ass but sooner or later age is going to become a negative for recruiting, especially with no logical coach in waiting.

Excellent question. Unless Rodney leaves- which would be foolish- one would have to assume that next year's team would be better than this one. Another year of maturity on the guards, get Mo in there, who knows?

so does it help or hurt in a recruits thought process when they watch a game like last night unfold? It looked like Tyus behind the Gophers bench and UW Ole said Rashad was there also. Do they watch that and say " the Gophers are closer than I thought and I/we can really help them" or is it more like " what a train wreck, I would look good in green"

I thought the Gophers coaches wearing the bow ties was a not so subliminal plea for Tyus but then heard later that it was for prostate cancer awareness.

Okay, yeah. I guess I can see it now, potential top recruit sitting at home watching last's nights game. Sees that demonstration and thinks to himself, "ALL RIGHT if
I could just sign with Minnesota and spend a couple of years with Tubby Smith
I'll be an All-American lottery pick." Right.

Okay, yeah. I guess I can see it now, potential top recruit sitting at home watching last's nights game. Sees that demonstration and thinks to himself, "ALL RIGHT if
I could just sign with Minnesota and spend a couple of years with Tubby Smith
I'll be an All-American lottery pick." Right.

No one...No one...No one cares what you think.

You have often complained that your posts get deleted. Why do you think that is?

And what the *&^% is "m'boy"?

Because the mods on this board (God Bless 'em) like their little power trips once in awhile - despite the posts falling completely within the forum guidelines. I'm not the only one either.

Someone on the football board asked for a comprehensive list of recruiting rankings from various websites around signing day a few weeks back. I posted a link to Rivals and Scout and since the Gophs were dead last in the B1G on Rivals - and close to last on Scout - the post was deleted. Why? Just sharing a link to answer someone's request. Oh, we can't make the Great Jerry Kill look like he can't recruit.....

I'm surprised Hodger's thread about the Gopher's record in February/March the past 2 seasons hasn't been deleted yet by the mods :cool:

Blah, blah, self-indulgent blah

Get over yourself. You play the martyr poorly.

It is completely mind boggling that you have posted over 4,000 times just to bitch, moan, and outright lie.

I suggest a new hobby.

No one...No one...No one cares what you think.

Actually there are quite a few people who care what I think, not that it matters as I will happily state it anyway. And of course anyone who ever harbors any hope of the Gophers being a comeptitive basketball team in the Big 10, SHOULD pay attention to it.

I'm not sure I buy the 'tough to recruit without an extension'. With how many of the contracts are written, a long-term contract means little to nothing. If a kid has concerns that a coach might leave, it'll be based on the coach and the program and the circumstances - not the years on the contract. Sad as it sounds, people know better than to assume a contract means a real commitment.

Indiana is Minnesota's next opponent. Their coach had a contract with a different school that went through 2017. He's been at Indiana for four years now. Nothing unexpected happened at the other school - it's just that the Indiana job was offered and the guy felt he couldn't refuse it. After all... it's Indiana! It's Indiana!

Couldn't agree more. By that 'tough to recruit' argument, you could say that any coach who has less than 4 years left on his contract is at a disadvantage because he might not be around when a given recruit is a senior. Who cares? The coach could be fired, could leave for a better job, or even retire within a four year period. How many coaches in Division 1 currently have 4 or more years remaining on their contract? I sincerely doubt that number is the majority.

I'm not sure it hurts or helps. As others have already stated, recruiting is very complicated and every kid is a little different. Having said that, I consider our chances with both Jones and Vaughn somewhere between slim and none.

One thing that is hurt by the contract situation is if he's not even under contract for the FIRST year on campus. I believe Tubby's contract has 2 more seasons on it, conveniently ending the same year the 2013 class graduates. That could pose a problem.

Actually there are quite a few people who care what I think, not that it matters as I will happily state it anyway. And of course anyone who ever harbors any hope of the Gophers being a comeptitive basketball team in the Big 10, SHOULD pay attention to it.
No, I really don't care what you think about Gopher basketball and I see no reason why I should. You are here for vindication, nothing else.

Excellent question. Unless Rodney leaves- which would be foolish- one would have to assume that next year's team would be better than this one. Another year of maturity on the guards, get Mo in there, who knows?

Exactly. I'd imagine next year will be better as long as there are no transfers and Rodney comes back.

bga1 said:

No, I'm not assuming Rodney leaves. In terms of "challenging" I am talking about team success (in this case, winning enough to make it into the NCAA tournament).

If you look across the conference, there does not appear to be many teams the Gophers should leapfrog between years. The question isn't, "will Dre Hollins improve next year?", the question is, "do the Gophers look like a tournament team in 2012-13?" and taking into account what the Gophers as well as other teams in the conference will probably look like in a year, my answer is no - it'll be a challenging year. They'll need to exceed expectations to make the tourney. Not out of the question, but next year's team projects to be similar to this year's team - on the outside looking in, just as they have been for the entirety of this season.

No, I'm not assuming Rodney leaves. In terms of "challenging" I am talking about team success (in this case, winning enough to make it into the NCAA tournament).

If you look across the conference, there does not appear to be many teams the Gophers should leapfrog between years. The question isn't, "will Dre Hollins improve next year?", the question is, "do the Gophers look like a tournament team in 2012-13?" and taking into account what the Gophers as well as other teams in the conference will probably look like in a year, my answer is no - it'll be a challenging year. They'll need to exceed expectations to make the tourney. Not out of the question, but next year's team projects to be similar to this year's team - on the outside looking in, just as they have been for the entirety of this season.

Wisconsin gets hit hard with the loss of Taylor. Purdue gets hit heavy. OSU is going to lose Buford aad Sullinger. I wouldn't be surprised if Illinois loses the big man. Penn State is Penn State, Iowa loses Gatens and Cartwright, Nebraska -see Penn State, Northwestern loses Shurna and MSU loses Green. We lose Ralph and I'll say right now that Walker will be better than Ralph as will EE. Indiana and Michigan lose virtually nothing so they will be strong no doubt.

If the Gophers are on the outside looking in with basically everybody back, then it's time for Tubby to pack up and exit. I think he can get this done with what he has. I'm not counting on anything from the recruits so that would be a bonus. This will be a team that will have good size, good experience, good athleticism, good shooting and a solid bench. They will be stronger on the boards, and they will have better more experienced guard play than this squad that has lost a bunch of close games. I don't see any team that will be coming into the Barn that we should not be able to beat.

Time for some expectations.

bga1 said:
Wisconsin gets hit hard with the loss of Taylor. Purdue gets hit heavy. OSU is going to lose Buford aad Sullinger. I wouldn't be surprised if Illinois loses the big man. Penn State is Penn State, Iowa loses Gatens and Cartwright, Nebraska -see Penn State, Northwestern loses Shurna and MSU loses Green. We lose Ralph and I'll say right now that Walker will be better than Ralph as will EE. Indiana and Michigan lose virtually nothing so they will be strong no doubt.

If the Gophers are on the outside looking in with basically everybody back, then it's time for Tubby to pack up and exit. I think he can get this done with what he has. I'm not counting on anything from the recruits so that would be a bonus. This will be a team that will have good size, good experience, good athleticism, good shooting and a solid bench. They will be stronger on the boards, and they will have better more experienced guard play than this squad that has lost a bunch of close games. I don't see any team that will be coming into the Barn that we should not be able to beat.

Gotta factor in everyone else's classes though as well. I agree though, time for some expectations and at the very least no transfers and improvement.

+1

Gotta factor in everyone else's classes though as well. I agree though, time for some expectations and at the very least no transfers and improvement.

Scher- I'm not up on this info: Does anyone have one or more major impact player coming in? I assume OSU does because that's what they do. Is there anybody else we should expect will just walk in and star?

Scher- I'm not up on this info: Does anyone have one or more major impact player coming in? I assume OSU does because that's what they do. Is there anybody else we should expect will just walk in and star?
Indiana has 2 5 stars coming in. One PG and one PF. Also 4 star SF.
Iowa has 2 4 stars, 1 PG 1 C.
Wisconsin has Sam Dekker
Purdue has 2 4 stars, PG and PF.
MSU has 1 5 star (SG) and 3 4 stars (2PF 1SG)
MI has 1 5 star PF and 2 4 stars (SF SG)
OSU has 0 commits listed.
Illinois has 2 unranked guys committed.
The rest are bland classes, at best although NW did pick up a Minnesota kid.

Top Bottom