Help me understand...

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
...why there is such a complete contrast reading the Gopher Hole basketball and Football boards? I have been reading the GopherHole for a long time, but perhaps not long enough to know why this is the case.

I have been thinking about this for a while and reading the Wisconsin vs Gonzaga thread on the basketball forum this morning finally motivated me to post about it. I find that there are a lot of good discussions on the basketball board and although there are often differences of opinions, they are usually discussed quite professionally. There are a lot of interesting comments about rivals and they are usually made quite objectively.

Meanwhile, any time Iowa or Wisconsin are discussed over here, it quickly degenerates into lampshades made of skin (Wisconsin) or bucktooth bib-overalls (Iowa). It gets old. And, if people don't see eye to eye they are very quick to name call and declare each other to be stupid.

On the football board, after every tough loss it can be guaranteed to be flooded with "fire everyone in sight and bench all the starters" posts. The Gopher basketball team has had its own issues with suspended players but the discussions on the GH basketball board have been much more civil, and logical about those situations.

Interestingly, if I ever do see a whack-job post on the basketball board - more often than not it has been posted by a regular from the football board.

Quite honestly... I find myself spending less time on the football board due to all the drama.

...why there is such a complete contrast reading the Gopher Hole basketball and Football boards? I have been reading the GopherHole for a long time, but perhaps not long enough to know why this is the case.

I have been thinking about this for a while and reading the Wisconsin vs Gonzaga thread on the basketball forum this morning finally motivated me to post about it. I find that there are a lot of good discussions on the basketball board and although there are often differences of opinions, they are usually discussed quite professionally. There are a lot of interesting comments about rivals and they are usually made quite objectively.

Meanwhile, any time Iowa or Wisconsin are discussed over here, it quickly degenerates into lampshades made of skin (Wisconsin) or bucktooth bib-overalls (Iowa). It gets old. And, if people don't see eye to eye they are very quick to name call and declare each other to be stupid.

On the football board, after every tough loss it can be guaranteed to be flooded with "fire everyone in sight and bench all the starters" posts. The Gopher basketball team has had its own issues with suspended players but the discussions on the GH basketball board have been much more civil, and logical about those situations.

Interestingly, if I ever do see a whack-job post on the basketball board - more often than not it has been posted by a regular from the football board.

Quite honestly... I find myself spending less time on the football board due to all the drama.

Those are good points, and I think this is happening for a few reasons:

1. We recently played Iowa and WI in football, hence, more of their fans are on the football side - don't get me wrong, some are great and civil, but some like to stir the pot and just bait people.
2. I think there's overwhelming support for Tubby - so, when something goes wrong like suspensions, people may question his actions, but no one's calling for him to get fired. Like it or not, I think there is more of a split in the support for Brewster - so instead of just talking about the topic at hand, the coach talk always comes up.
3. I think there are a lot of consistent posters over the years on the bball side - guys that have been around for a along time, like SS, Jamiche, Moonlight (well, she's a lady), etc. I think a lot of posters also know eachother in person, so that keeps things more civil. It's a good thing that there are so many posters on the football board (it seems like more new ones that bball), but it takes more time to get to know people, their sarcasm, writing styles, etc...so you're not too quick to jump down one's throat.
4. I think people just talk more about the game on the bball board - we talk about the players, assess their strengths and weaknesses, college bball in general, etc. The football board seems to talk more about the media and the coaches, so saying they don't on the bball board, but it's more prevalent over here.

This is just my take though.

I'm not sure if I agree. Last year during the Big Ten Season I couldn't go the BBall boards anymore. It was littered with so and so sucks and then became a pissing match about whether you were a true Gopher or not.

How many Al Nolen sucks threads were created. As many as Weber sucks?

I dislike drama too. Your post makes me wish i liked basketball so i could go over to the other board. Unfortunately, i sucked at basketball, dont understand it and hate the thuggery involved with it.

One other big factor in the difference between the basketball and football boards is the number and frequency of games played. When there is only one game/week and all the post game analyses are done after about 2 days (and almost all games are played on the same day), there seems to be nothing left to do but bash players, coaches, media, opponents, etc.

For basketball - a two day post anaylsis period, followed by a one day pre-game for the next opponent is often a repeating cycle. Not to mention the fact that other teams are playing all the time (not just Saturdays) which also fuels a lot of discussion - all of this giving even less time for a "bashing blogosphere."

I'm not sure if I agree. Last year during the Big Ten Season I couldn't go the BBall boards anymore. It was littered with so and so sucks and then became a pissing match about whether you were a true Gopher or not.

How many Al Nolen sucks threads were created. As many as Weber sucks?

Yeah, I remember the Nolen threads, it can get outta control there. Maybe not quite as much as the football boards, but they've definitely had their share of hate-fests on players on the b-ball board lol.

Maybe the difference has a little to do with the fact that there are 12 football games, once a week, and so much hinges on the performance for that one game. In basketball, you play 32 or so, multiple times in a week, each individual game not nearly as important as it is in football. People live and die on one game of performance in football. That just doesn't happen in basketball. People are more willing to watch things develop, as there are just more opportunities to watch and be patient with it.

EDIT: cemba beat me to the frequency of games punch LOL

All good points. Some I hadn't considered and others I SHOULD have thought of. There are still some differences between the boards that are a mystery to me but I agree with the points shared so far.

Football has a bigger audience and (I think) younger posters.

For the last five years of the Monson era (even the one where they made the NCAA), the board was horrible. Every single thread turned to fire Monson/ don't fire Monson/ buyout/ Prexy B.

Success makes interent bulletin boards easier to read.

The football boards have been inundated with new posters. That's mostly a good thing. But really they show up after bad outcomes and unfavorable media stories. They bring alot of negativity. Most go away as quickly as they come but it still creates a negative atmosphere.

to me as has been pointed out in this thread is the number of games is a big reason. a horrible performance on saturday in football can't be changed until the following saturtday. with basketball a horrible performance on saturady can be changed with a win on tuesday.

that is where people get caught up, in that last game. it is such what have you done for me lately mentality. in football a loss in one game leads to panic or so it seems on this board.

It can get plenty rancid on the basketball side, as mentioned before with the Nolen threads. And let's not even get into what happened here after that NIT loss at Cincinnati.

Not having Wren and Loon here is a great help in keeping things calm. If I remember, those two were the primary flamethrowers during both of our previous coaching changes.

Bump. The thirty post spaz militia is out in full force on the Basketball Board.

It's bad. It's like the football boards a few weeks ago.

It's nice to see we don't have a monopoly on idiocy over here.

Different boards for different sports.

Football is a men's sport.

If you actually break it down by posters, it's really only a few people who are in meltdown mode. Unfortunately, they bring the same nonsense to every thread.

I think one of the reasons is that the boards were initially not even on the same site. Some posters have always been basketball guys or football guys while others posted on both boards. Another difference is that Wren/Loon did not poison the basketball board to the level they poisoned the football board.

The basketball board has been terrible this year so far, but it's been a couple new posters who've lead the charge in that aspect.

It's only going to get worse if the team doesn't start performing better though as this season has been a MAJOR disappointment in every area so far.

One other point: When the Gopher basketball program was really down, the basketball board was near unanimous in the belief that Monson had to go. Their wasn't a vocal contingent who stood behind Monson like their was that stood behind Mason. Agreement on the largest issues, makes for a more "readable" board.

If you actually break it down by posters, it's really only a few people who are in meltdown mode. Unfortunately, they bring the same nonsense to every thread.

Very true - it's only a few irrational posters, but they just post on every thread, to every point, so it seems like it's the consensus. I don't think anyone is happy with losing 3 in a row, to me, this may be the most disapointing season up until this point - because of the expectations I've had...but the majority are still supporting the team. Hoping we get better as the season goes one, and can point out flaws like...Ralph Sampson played 23 minutes and only pulled down 2 boards. He needs to get more aggressive, box out, and perform a lot better...vs. Ralph Sampson sucks! We should take his scholarship away!

One other point: When the Gopher basketball program was really down, the basketball board was near unanimous in the belief that Monson had to go. Their wasn't a vocal contingent who stood behind Monson like their was that stood behind Mason. Agreement on the largest issues, makes for a more "readable" board.

I beg to differ with that - I supported Coach Monson 100% and did so, very verbally on the board until the very end. I don't think I posted good things the night of the Clemson game, but I also didn't rip him. I know there were a few other people that supported Monson too - but I think a lot is in the delivery. Also, I can't speak for others, but I've never thought of the coach as the team, I can dislike the coach, and still wholeheartedly cheer for the team. It wasn't like when Monson was gone, I was so pissed like the "Masonites." I certainly see the advantages, and think he found a better fit and is happy, and so did we. Coaches will come and go, so if you wait it out long enough, the ones you hate will be gone...but us Gopher fans, we'll be here forever.

Top Bottom