Help me understand the Gophers offense

Miles Tarver

Reaction score
Im just a casual basketball fan. Never played the game, but love watching it.

Its been real frusterating watching the Gophers offense this year compared to other teams.

Here is my question for people that know the game real well.

What percentage of offensive possessions is a set play called? and what percentage is it just a play it by ear kind of thing?

Im trying to figure out who really is to blame on the offensive end of floor. Are plays called every possession from the bench? and the players cant run them properly?

or what went on this season.

Ive seen average teams get more open looks in one half than it seems the Gophers have had in 10 games.

The problem is they had little speed and quickness, they shot poorly except for one player, weren't very deep, and had players playing out of position. Their defense also created very few scoring opportunities. The Gophers had the opportunities for several open looks, the only problem is that they only had one player who could make a very high percentage of open looks. Teams wanted all of our players beside Blake to shoot.

Its been real frusterating watching the Gophers offense this year compared to other teams.

What percentage of offensive possessions is a set play called? and what percentage is it just a play it by ear kind of thing?

Im trying to figure out who really is to blame on the offensive end of floor. Are plays called every possession from the bench? and the players cant run them properly?

Ive seen average teams get more open looks in one half than it seems the Gophers have had in 10 games.

Too bad you missed seeing the Gophers from November through late January. Averaged ~73 ppg over 20 games.

But only averaged ~60 ppg with loss of Nolen and Walker plus transfer by Joseph.

Too bad you missed seeing the Gophers from November through late January. Averaged ~73 ppg over 20 games.

But only averaged ~60 ppg with loss of Nolen and Walker plus transfer by Joseph.

I do know what you are saying...losing Nolen, Joseph, and Walker hurt badly... although putting up big numbers against St Jospehs, ND St, and other cream puff NC games is a little easier than doing that against Big 10 teams.

regardless, Im just asking for people that know the game well, and have maybe coached at a high level. How often are set plays called. and what the offensive structure really is

I do know what you are saying...losing Nolen, Joseph, and Walker hurt badly... although putting up big numbers against St Jospehs, ND St, and other cream puff NC games is a little easier than doing that against Big 10 teams.

regardless, Im just asking for people that know the game well, and have maybe coached at a high level. How often are set plays called. and what the offensive structure really is

Take away tequila from a margarita and what do you have?

The Gophers had 2nd highest PPG in B10 just last year. Same offense.

They also beat the cream puff ACC Champion North Carolina in their non conference schedule. I think their non conference schedule was pretty similar to every Big Ten teams schedule except for maybe Michigan State.

They also beat the cream puff ACC Champion North Carolina in their non conference schedule. I think their non conference schedule was pretty similar to every Big Ten teams schedule except for maybe Michigan State.

You are missing the point. Im just saying it was alot easier to put up bigger #s offensively against our NC schedule compared to the Big 10 schedule, regardless of who was playing.

Im just asking what the Gopher offense is, and where the plays are coming from. Thats all.

Maybe someone can answer that.

Take away tequila from a margarita and what do you have?

The Gophers had 2nd highest PPG in B10 just last year. Same offense.

Great, now back to the question at hand. What is the strategy of our offense? and how often are plays called in from Tubby? and how often was it just a read-and-react kind of thing.

Great, now back to the question at hand. What is the strategy of our offense? and how often are plays called in from Tubby? and how often was it just a read-and-react kind of thing.

Get high % shots. That only works when offense is executed like it was in first 20 games, not last 11 games.

Get high % shots. That only works when offense is executed like it was in first 20 games, not last 11 games.

It's also due to good defense. For Tubby, defense begets offense. His half-court looked nearly as stagnant with Nolen as without Nolen. Tubby's teams need transition offense.

Huh?

How about W over Louisville, North Carolina, Butler, West Virginia?

And W at Wisconsin a couple of years ago? Purdue this year? Mich St (in B10T) last year?

How many conf titles? How many top 3 finishes?

How many NCAA wins?

Year 5 on the horizon.

We had ONE (two if you want to count Ralph I suppose) player in Blake that could consistently make a shot beyond 15 feet. This allows the defense to sag back into the middle of the court which in turn clogs up the lane for the posts. If we had more shooters, it would not only penalize teams for double teaming our posts, but it would give our bigs more room/time with the ball due to the fear of leaving a shooter open on the perimeter.

Also, losing Al really killed our ability to get to the rim via dribble penetration. Chip had his flashes, but he was almost always looking to SCORE over DISTRIBUTE. It's pretty tough to score when A) the lane is clogged due to the lack of shooting and B) you have no one to get to the basket/create their own shot.

Huh?

How about W over Louisville, North Carolina, Butler, West Virginia?

And W at Wisconsin a couple of years ago? Purdue this year? Mich St (in B10T) last year?

Its obvious this year without Nolen and Joseph the offense struggled. I just wanted to remind everybody that good wins are important, but winning the games you should win is just as important.

Agree with your points FOT, but one of these "big" wins against West Virginia and UNC is pretty much negated by the "bad" loss to Viginia this year. The UNC win should include a *, since UNC is a different team since Drew left (hell even Illinois beat them in December).

Gophers did beat Butler last year but also lost to Portland and Miami.

I listed some Big W by the Gophers over past 4 years. It may not fit your agenda?

And it's YOU'RE not YOUR as I learned it.

Perhaps not.

MY agenda is winning the conf title and winning big in the NCAA tournament.

Is there anything else that matters?

Perhaps these types of wins dont fit YOUR agenda?

Perhaps not.

MY agenda is winning the conf title and winning big in the NCAA tournament.

Is there anything else that matters?

Perhaps these types of wins dont fit YOUR agenda?

Congrats - you've been happy only 4 times since The Barn opened in 1920's.

You might wanna find another team if those are your minimum criteria. Gophers only W big in NCAA once (1997).

Its obvious this year without Nolen and Joseph the offense struggled. I just wanted to remind everybody that good wins are important, but winning the games you should win is just as important.

Agree with your points FOT, but one of these "big" wins against West Virginia and UNC is pretty much negated by the "bad" loss to Viginia this year. The UNC win should include a *, since UNC is a different team since Drew left (hell even Illinois beat them in December).

Gophers did beat Butler last year but also lost to Portland and Miami.

Had the poster asked for bad L there are some of those, too.

Had the poster asked for bad L there are some of those, too.

I know, I just wanted to redirect the conversation a little bit;) I've had enough conversations about how we beat UNC but lost to Indiana. Its obvious the offense was hindered by the losses of Nolen and Joseph during the season.

I know, I just wanted to redirect the conversation a little bit;) I've had enough conversations about how we beat UNC but lost to Indiana. Its obvious the offense was hindered by the losses of Nolen and Joseph during the season.

The L to IU last year and this are terrible L.

Im trying to figure out who really is to blame on the offensive end of floor. Are plays called every possession from the bench? and the players cant run them properly.

Station19, how could anybody other than Tubby or the players answer this question? If you are just looking for educated guesses, I would go 99% of the time Tubby calls the plays.

I think the argument their defense was bad is absolutely true, unless you are only counting layup defense. This team is not athletic enough or aggressive enough on either end of the floor for Tubby-ball. Rodney is a great athlete with a 10th grade understanding of the game. You can't have three trees out there and two slow guards on defense and think you are going to get people to turn the ball over. We have a bad mix of players. I hope the new kids add the missing ingredients, including some fire. The true freshmen played harder than anyone but Mbakwe, the others were all a large disappointment.

If you get an understanding, please pass it along to the team. They seemed to have the same problem.

Otto should change this offense. When he is in he will be able to step out and pop the three from the point, something that Iverson nor Mbwake can do. It should extend the opposing teams defense and open it up for everybody.

When players cant make shots, no offense looks good (see Wisconsin vs Penn state)

Congrats - you've been happy only 4 times since The Barn opened in 1920's.

You might wanna find another team if those are your minimum criteria. Gophers only W big in NCAA once (1997).

Happy?

FOT does not like expectations placed on his multi million dollar coach.

Too bad fot - this is the big time.

Top Bottom