Heard the band tonight

facepalm.jpg
not an image macro noooooooooooooooooooo

Not sure what comment of yours today was more offensive...the joke at the expense of Hank Gathers or the below.

College bands are one of those traditions that I don't really get. I'd be fine mothballing them and replacing them with canned music. They can have their fancy dress party somewhere else and clear out more space for paying customers.

Agreed. The band was spectacular. They also made tribute to MN by forming the Minnesota M. I enjoyed them. I also liked how our band was in the game all the way until the end of the game.

If I want to see another band, I'll buy a DVD.

Can we at least get rid of Gopher Nation?

Yes Please. No more "Gopher Nation" talk. That really showed what an original thinker Brewster was.

When is the last time the U of M band traveled to a regular season game? The U of M is too cheap to do anything like that. Granted, being on the western edge of the conference doesn't help travel expenses.

When is the last time the U of M band traveled to a regular season game? The U of M is too cheap to do anything like that. Granted, being on the western edge of the conference doesn't help travel expenses.

Iowa, 1997. A small pep band also went to Iowa in 2003.

I think this maybe because the OSU band was all brass, no woodwinds.

Correct. Replace the flutes and clarinets in our band with trumpets and trombones and the sound volume would increase a lot.

Correct. Replace the flutes and clarinets in our band with trumpets and trombones and the sound volume would increase a lot.

If you take out the woodwinds the band would shrink to around 250-260 members and get quieter. They don't turn away brass players to make room for the woodwinds, what you see is what they get in terms of brass. Eliminating woodwinds would only hurt the band.

My beef is this. Ohio State's band was marching up and down the streets around the stadium for a solid hour prior to the game, and our band can't march down University Avenue for homecoming???

If you take out the woodwinds the band would shrink to around 250-260 members and get quieter. They don't turn away brass players to make room for the woodwinds, what you see is what they get in terms of brass. Eliminating woodwinds would only hurt the band.

It was a hypothetical situation. I was in the band - I am fully aware nobody is turned away. My point was that they sounded so much louder because they had similar numbers to us, but had all brass while our band has woodwinds.

Iowa, 1997. A small pep band also went to Iowa in 2003.

I believe an altercation involving the MN band and Herky's big dumb plastic head is partially to blame for marching band not making trips out for a few years in the 90's and early 00's. As of now it is 100% budget.

I believe an altercation involving the MN band and Herky's big dumb plastic head is partially to blame for marching band not making trips out for a few years in the 90's and early 00's. As of now it is 100% budget.

Why doesn't the band alumni raise money for an annual trip? Given the number of band members, there must be thousands of alumni around.

Is there any fundrasing going on?

Herky had It coming to him that day. He threw a cold glass of ice water on a bass drummer.. it was about 10 Degrees that day. I was glad to see Herky get his A** kicked.

Why doesn't the band alumni raise money for an annual trip? Given the number of band members, there must be thousands of alumni around.

Is there any fundrasing going on?

1) I like that idea and would definitely financially participate if possible.

2) I have no idea about the actual fundraising of the band alumni group as I am under the impression that it is a highly politicized group of crabby old band people. Of course I have not attended a meeting or participated so perhaps I am wrong and it is glorious.

OSU's band, mind you. All 250 members of them. Saw them, too. Often saw them instead of the game going on behind them. Was just terrific. I've attached a pic to give you a taste.

Terrific experience. Especially when they all turned around and played right directly at us. Thanks, Mr. Maturi, for inviting 250 members of the opposing team's band at the expense of your season ticket holders.

I have to agree with the section 105, having the band blocking the view was not the greatest I'm on the 5 yard line so wasn't too bad there. But I got to say that the guys in lowwer section 105 are the best at getting into jabs with the visiting mascot and cheer squad. Were you near the guy who security took away for yelling at OSU band?

was glad to see the U of Band give apples to the OSU band at least it shut them up for at least 1/2 the third qrt. Would love to see the PA guy turn up the juice on the big scoreboard to drown out the visting team band.

I have to agree with the section 105, having the band blocking the view was not the greatest I'm on the 5 yard line so wasn't too bad there. But I got to say that the guys in lowwer section 105 are the best at getting into jabs with the visiting mascot and cheer squad. Were you near the guy who security took away for yelling at OSU band?

He actualy got taken away for turning around to face the crowd, opening his binocular flask and taking a drink. It was epically stupid.

We give the mascot/cheer team some grief, but it's usually all in fun unless they start talking smack to us. Security there seems amused by it, so we'll keep up the ribbing until they ask us to stop.

In retrospect, I probably overreacted to the whole OSU band situation. If our team wasn't so awful, I probably wouldn't be so frustrated by the petty things like the 30 sousaphones in the way. I apologize for yesterdays rant.

If you are going to sit in 105, I advise you not to wear a trucker hat autographed by an obnoxious jerk.

If you are going to sit in 105, I advise you not to wear a trucker hat autographed by an obnoxious jerk.

I assume you're referring to the USC game? I don't have a problem with the hat, per se. It's when the wearer of said hat gets in my face because USC is better than the Gophers that will get you ripped. Obnoxious little d00sh.

I was at a game this year, and when I left the row was littered with little malibu rum bottles. Who drinks coconut flavored rum?

Top Bottom