Heard the band tonight

FrothyGopher

Bourbon Enthusiast
Reaction score
OSU's band, mind you. All 250 members of them. Saw them, too. Often saw them instead of the game going on behind them. Was just terrific. I've attached a pic to give you a taste.

Terrific experience. Especially when they all turned around and played right directly at us. Thanks, Mr. Maturi, for inviting 250 members of the opposing team's band at the expense of your season ticket holders.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 166

I enjoyed the OSU band. It feels like college football hearing a battle of the bands.

I enjoyed the OSU band. It feels like college football hearing a battle of the bands.

I enjoyed OSU's band too, though not as much as, you know, getting to see the game.

I have no idea how many members are in the Gopher band; but I suspect they were close to outnumbered by OSU's band. 250 band members is an absurd number of people to pack into the space between the stands and the field.

Don't worry, you didn't miss much

I enjoyed OSU's band too, though not as much as, you know, getting to see the game.

I have no idea how many members are in the Gopher band; but I suspect they were close to outnumbered by OSU's band. 250 band members is an absurd number of people to pack into the space between the stands and the field.

The U of M band has around 315 members.

My eyes aren't as sharp as they used to be, but it looked like there were some other empty seats you could have moved to. Unless you really love those lower bowl corner seats with no view of the scoreboard.

My eyes aren't as sharp as they used to be, but it looked like there were some other empty seats you could have moved to. Unless you really love those lower bowl corner seats with no view of the scoreboard.
Sorry, but if you turn your head slightly to the right, you get a fantastic view of the scoreboard from those seats. It's reasonable to expect people who have been loyal season ticket holders to have to vacate their seats, you know the ones they've been sitting in for two seasons of crappy football, to placate the opposing team and the 30 tubas they've brought along.

So, the opposing team's giant band blocks the view from the seats that I paid for as a season ticket holder and I'm supposed to move? Got it.

If you think that's ok, you're part of the goddamn problem. And you're one of the diehards on here. Even stadium operations was coming up in the stands to tell us we all needed to email Maturi to let him know how absurd it was. Jesus H. Christ our fanbase sucks.

And the scoreboard? It's literally 200 feet away. Your eyes must not be anywhere near as sharp as the used to be if you can't see the scoreboard from there.

Watch a Notre Dame game sometime, the opposing team always has a huge band in one corner of the stadium. It's fairly common practice in CFB. We RARELY do it here, and this was one time when you could have improved your seats, and solved your problem. I don't doubt that this is an issue that needs to be addressed. But you could have moved seats and still complained about it. And I'm not saying you don't have a right to complain. But why make yourself miserable for 3 hours? By the way, there are seats over near that section that don't have any view of the scoreboard, so a little less sensitivity please.

I thought the OSU band was terrific. Watch an SEC game sometime. The opposing bands go to nearly all the road games. It's what makes college football, college football.

As long as they conduct themselves with class, I'm for ANY road team band to attend TCF Bank Stadium, provided the opportunity for our band to attend their venue is extended. Since Wisconsin makes you pay for individual tickets, they are out. Since Iowa would be taken out of the ticket allotment given to the U of M, the same should be the case for them. But if Ohio State invites us? Seeing the bands of the Big Ten is what makes our conference great.

They waited for Hail, Minnesota to be played before playing Chimes & Carmen, Ohio....they also played the Rouser for our band as a thank you after the game. OSU's band is welcome back anytime, in my opinion.

I'm with you Frothy. Doesn't matter if you could have moved or not. They created obstructed view seats. Another disgusting twist in a disgusting season for downtrodden Gopher fans. You need to send this pic to Maturi. I'd also demand restitution. You probably won't get it, but you'll feel better for trying.

Watch a Notre Dame game sometime, the opposing team always has a huge band in one corner of the stadium. It's fairly common practice in CFB. We RARELY do it here, and this was one time when you could have improved your seats, and solved your problem. I don't doubt that this is an issue that needs to be addressed. But you could have moved seats and still complained about it. And I'm not saying you don't have a right to complain. But why make yourself miserable for 3 hours? By the way, there are seats over near that section that don't have any view of the scoreboard, so a little less sensitivity please.

Given the choice between having the OSU Marching Band or a whineyass Gophers fan who could have easily solved his problem himself - I will take the OSU Band every time. This is college football we are watching here. Opposing team's marching bands are all part of the experience and one of the reasons why I go to Gophers games and not Vikings games. The OSU Band was great and I loved every second they were on the field. If you are sitting in a section where opposing bands are a problem I recommend you upgrade your seats next year. Lord knows you are going to have plenty of seats to choose from.

Love having the visiting band whether its Penn St. last week or OSU. But c'mon ... this guy and others had their view blocked. Sure he could have moved this time, but (in 2021 under new head coach Adam Weber) when we have a contending team and the place is packed, that might not be an option. The guy has a legit beef.

I thought their band was classy. Being in section 105, they were LOUD when they turned and faced the crowd. I wasn't aware anyone needed to vacate their seats. Seemed to me that they were down on the field. Like others have said, there were plenty of choice spots available by halftime if you wanted to move around. A couple of comments on tOSU's band:

1.I thought the all-silver instruments were classy.

2.Was disappointed they didn't do the script OHIO and dotting the "i". Unless that happened before gametime (we got in about 10 minutes before gametime)

3.I thought their marching was more precise than our band's, although I'm no expert in those things. Some of their formations seemed more complicated

4.It seemed like a very "Manly" band. I only saw about 3-5 I could positively identify as girls, with a couple of "maybe's"

5.As others have said, they conducted themselves very well, and were very respectful to our fans.

6.Their cheerleaders were pretty cute, too

They did the script OHIO in the pregame. Two of them facing each side and dotted them. They also did a Block M and MN rouser during their pregame. Were they on bleachers or in chairs? I don't see how they blocked anyone's view if they were in chairs. It would be no different than the players and coaches standing on the sideline.

Wow...unreal.

I have no problem with the OSU band being there. I liked the OSU band being there. I liked USC's band there. I liked USD's band there (there were certainly better than the USD cheerleaders). The difference between the OSU band and the previous two was a) there were 250 for OSU v. 75-100 for USC/USD and b) the other bands were on the field, whereas OSU was on risers. I'm well aware visiting bands are part of the tradition of college football.

As to them being classy, have the same conversation with the ops guy that folks in our area did. They were dropping the eff bomb on him when he tried to keep them from spreading all over the place (you know, because there wasn't room for that many of them, but that's not a problem, I guess) and he was getting zero support from their band leaders. He basically said the whole thing was a clustereff and was counting on the fans saying something to Maturi to keep it from happening again. But I guess he's just a whiny-ass operations guy in the same vein as my whiny-ass Gopher fandom.

Just effing unreal.

It was a clustereff because the ops guy & gameday operations have no clue on what they are doing. How is it possible for the Ohio State band to make things work at Michigan Stadium? How does Notre Dame handle it? How was the Purdue band able to make things work at Illinois yesterday? Instead, we have Cenex guy, and a public address announcer that screams like a freaking idiot informing Gopher fans it's 3rd down when we're trailing by 4 touchdowns. Our gameday operations is still trying to figure out how the new cash registers work and not running out of hot dogs by the end of the 2nd quarter. My guess is the OSU band leaders were shellshocked that they actually were at a Big Ten venue. I'm highly anticipating Austin Hahn to sing "Something to Talk About" twice on the video board over a 25 second span again.

I would say you have a legit beef with the risers, and that should be something that can be worked on & changed to figure out a good plan for visiting bands. I think an email saying that while not objecting to visiting bands, your view of the game is being blocked by them being on risers. Your view of the game should definitely not be compromised and I'm sure the athletic department would agree. This can be worked on.

GopherHolers fans have much bigger problems to worry about than a few fans whose views were blocked by a visiting marching band comprised of 250 rowdy college students. Stuff like that is part of the deal when you go to college football games. Like Section2 said, if you don't like how you were treated take your complaints to the AD. But don't expect much sympathy from fans who had to watch their favorite team be embarrassed on national TV in a stadium with thousands of empty seats. If I had your seats it would have taken me two seconds to decide to sit somewhere else last night.

I thought their band was classy. Being in section 105, they were LOUD when they turned and faced the crowd. I wasn't aware anyone needed to vacate their seats. Seemed to me that they were down on the field. Like others have said, there were plenty of choice spots available by halftime if you wanted to move around. A couple of comments on tOSU's band:

1.I thought the all-silver instruments were classy.

2.Was disappointed they didn't do the script OHIO and dotting the "i". Unless that happened before gametime (we got in about 10 minutes before gametime)

3.I thought their marching was more precise than our band's, although I'm no expert in those things. Some of their formations seemed more complicated

4.It seemed like a very "Manly" band. I only saw about 3-5 I could positively identify as girls, with a couple of "maybe's"

5.As others have said, they conducted themselves very well, and were very respectful to our fans.

6.Their cheerleaders were pretty cute, too
As Maxy mentioned, they did do the script OHIO and dotting of the "i" in the pregame.

In retrospect, I understand the frustration of fans with tickets in the lower level where the band was located because I'm sure the tubas blocked some of the views of the field.

With that said, loved the band...I haven't watched many CFB bands in person (Nebraska, OU, K-state, Baylor, Minnesota are the few that immediately come to mind), but OSU's was by far the best I've seen.

I think this maybe because the OSU band was all brass, no woodwinds. they were fantastic, loved the script ohio the the way they presented their show. Best band I have seen

Underwhelmed

I love visiting marching bands and having been in one and seeing lots of bands in person I was actually underwhelmed by them. Marching bands march they do not walk. They are better than are band but not by that much. Saying they are the best band in the land is not true. Wisconsin's band in my opinion is much better.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think this maybe because the OSU band was all brass, no woodwinds. they were fantastic, loved the script ohio the the way they presented their show. Best band I have seen

They also hold tryouts and limit the size of their band. Wouldn't that be something if we could do that?

I always heard horror stories about people in our band not even showing up to the games either in the early 80's or when Wacker was around.

Again, winning football games fixes everything. Makes the ads go away, makes the band better, makes the cheerleaders better, makes the football team better!

Bands are part of the college FB atmosphere.. God knows that the football we actually SEE doesn't count as atmosphere so at least we can get it from the band during the pregame show.. Loved the script. Am also guessing that MN doesnt have the budget to send their band anywhere, let alone to Ohio.

I am with Frothy on this one. What a joke! How in the world is Maturi still the AD? I have been watching Gopher football for over 30 years and this is by far the lowest this program has sunk and that is saying a lot. Thanks Joel.

College bands are one of those traditions that I don't really get. I'd be fine mothballing them and replacing them with canned music. They can have their fancy dress party somewhere else and clear out more space for paying customers.

College bands are one of those traditions that I don't really get. I'd be fine mothballing them and replacing them with canned music. They can have their fancy dress party somewhere else and clear out more space for paying customers.

While we are at it why don't we retire the Rouser, Hail! Minnesota and anything else related to the past. This isn't the NFL, and never will be. Canned music does nothing for school spirit.

Don't forget we couldn't give away another 300 seats in our stadium if we paid people to take them.

Can we at least get rid of Gopher Nation?

facepalm.jpg

Top Bottom