Heads are rolling at PSU

We aren’t losing the explosive plays stat just because of the offensive mindset. You have to consider what the defense is giving up. Also it’s not like we don’t call plays that could be explosive, we just don’t have many explosive play makers. Yes we run the ball a lot, but is the lack of explosive runs due to conservative play calling? No, it’s due to not having explosive RBs.
Evans is explosive but he couldn’t get out of the doghouse for half the year and now is fighting injuries.

We've had completions of over 30 yds in 6 straight games and have had a pass play over 20 yds in every game this year. Explosive plays are not the problem. Basic plays to move the chains in the passing game are the issue. We settle for FG's too often.

The main issue is accuracy.
I get the definition of explosive plays, but how many TDs do we have from over 40 yards? None that I can think of. Watch college games on TV any given Saturday they are a dime a dozen from long range.

7 TD over 20 yards and 6 under 20 yard.

3 TD's under 10 yards.

129 completions and our long is 39 yards. We have 30 explosive pass plays in 129 passes this year of over 20 yards. 11 are over 30 yards. 30 pass plays over 20 and we have scored on 1/3 of them.

We're 6th in the conference with 30 pass plays over 20 yards. Tied for 5th with over 30 yard pass plays. We are worse in explosive run plays. 11th in run plays over 20 and have 2 carries over 30.

The 4 PAC 12 schools coming in would be 1-4 in explosive plays in our conference at plays over 20 yards.
USC is #2
Wash. #3
Oregon #18
UCLA #21

The zone read run without a QB that can pull and run is the major issue of this offense.
There is a second way to win the explosive play battle. And it involves giving up fewer explosive plays.

IMO this is a bigger issue for the gophers right now

I get the definition of explosive plays, but how many TDs do we have from over 40 yards? None that I can think of. Watch college games on TV any given Saturday they are a dime a dozen from long range.
39 yards is our longest pass play. We have a 43 yard TD run by Taylor at NW.

Some conferences are better on offense and worse on defense.
Some better on defense and worse on offense.

6 teams in the top 12 from the B1G for fewest plays over 10 yards.
Georgia is 14th

Alabama has given up 21 plays over 30+ yards. MN has given up 22.

There is a second way to win the explosive play battle. And it involves giving up fewer explosive plays.

IMO this is a bigger issue for the gophers right now
100% We are at the bottom for defense in this category in the conference. MN and IN are the only teams in the conference to give up over 10, 40+ yard plays.

The average on our 13 TD passes is 21 YPP. Our passes seem to be explosive or nothing.
agreed. short to intermediate passing game has been nonexistent, and particularly bad in the red zone (where it gets tighter). whether scheme or AK/WRs/TEs, it's been bad and noncreative to get guys open

100% We are at the bottom for defense in this category in the conference. MN and IN are the only teams in the conference to give up over 10, 40+ yard plays.
And super disappointing too. At least 3 in the last two weeks were IMO at least 50% on our best player

You can argue one way or the other about what yardage constitutes explosive plays. The pass to Williams to win the Illinois game was 50+ yards, I believe. Such plays are daggers to the heart of the other team. In ten games, we have one explosive play over 40 yards—a running play of 43. We have given up more than 10 explosive plays over 40 yards. That pretty much sums up the reason why we can’t seem to win any toss-up game against a B1G West opponent with a competent, balanced offense.

I do agree with your read that one of our biggest offensive failures is our inability to use short and intermediate passes to extend drives. PJ apparently abhors quick strike offense (loses the TOP stat😵‍💫); but if a team’s preferred, near exclusive style is long, tedious, clock-chewing drives of 10-14 plays, you need to complete short and intermediate passes simply to keep the drive going against stacked boxes. That seems to be AK8 and our receivers’ Achilles Heel. Scheme, personnel, QB not in rhythm?

You can argue one way or the other about what yardage constitutes explosive plays. The pass to Williams to win the Illinois game was 50+ yards, I believe. Such plays are daggers to the heart of the other team. In ten games, we have one explosive play over 40 yards—a running play of 43. We have given up more than 10 explosive plays over 40 yards. That pretty much sums up the reason why we can’t seem to win any toss-up game against a B1G West opponent with a competent, balanced offense.

I do agree with your read that one of our biggest offensive failures is our inability to use short and intermediate passes to extend drives. PJ apparently abhors quick strike offense (loses the TOP stat😵‍💫); but if a team’s preferred, near exclusive style is long, tedious, clock-chewing drives of 10-14 plays, you need to complete short and intermediate passes simply to keep the drive going against stacked boxes. That seems to be AK8 and our receivers’ Achilles Heel. Scheme, personnel, QB not in rhythm?
Many explosive plays can also be YAC stats that aren't accounted for. BSF TD's have been YAC explosive plays. Oregon's first two touchdowns were a 20 yard pass for 77 and a 13 yard pass for 84. Jackson should have had a 47 yard YAC TD had the QB been on time and more accurate against Purdue.

Top Bottom